DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Enamel bath cleaning (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/638180-enamel-bath-cleaning.html)

Andy Burns[_13_] July 29th 19 06:08 PM

Enamel bath cleaning

Have a new steel/enamel bath that, due to lack of space, has been stored
outdoors awaiting installation, rainwater has pooled in it, with
decomposed leaves etc, so not ideal. I pressure washed the green gunge
off it today but a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom, even the
p/w turbo nozzle wouldn't touch it.

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star' applied with a damp
microfibre cloth, doesn't need much more than gentle rubbing and then
rinsing off, spotless ... recommended!

Andy Burns[_13_] July 29th 19 07:01 PM

Enamel bath cleaning

tabbypurr wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star'

odd name

I thought so

https://cdn.aws.toolstation.com/images/141020-UK/800/30886.jpg

alan_m July 29th 19 07:05 PM

Enamel bath cleaning

On 29/07/2019 18:08, Andy Burns wrote:
Have a new steel/enamel bath that, due to lack of space, has been stored
outdoors awaiting installation, rainwater has pooled in it, with
decomposed leaves etc, so not ideal.Â* I pressure washed the green gunge
off it today but a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom, even the
p/w turbo nozzle wouldn't touch it.

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star' applied with a damp
microfibre cloth, doesn't need much more than gentle rubbing and then
rinsing off, spotless ... recommended!

angle grinding is cheaper :)

Is there a downside to using this polishing paste? Could it make the
surface too slippery to be safe when stepping in or out of the bath?

Andy Burns[_13_] July 29th 19 07:30 PM

Enamel bath cleaning

alan_m wrote:

Is there a downside to using this polishing paste?

Can't see one, although it certainly does contain polishing ingredients,
it felt more like cleaning than polishing to use it, so their claim that
it is matched to enamel's hardness seems true, they do another version
for acrylic baths

Could it make the
surface too slippery to be safe when stepping in or out of the bath?

Not a problem with this bath, it has sand sprinkled within the enamel
for grip.

GB July 29th 19 07:43 PM

Enamel bath cleaning

On 29/07/2019 19:01, Andy Burns wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star'

odd name

I thought so

https://cdn.aws.toolstation.com/images/141020-UK/800/30886.jpg

I think the German for enamel is Email. :)

Interesting that Star has crept into their language in place of Stern.

Brian Gaff July 29th 19 09:07 PM

Enamel bath cleaning

Yes I'd expect it to be called something like Gunge Gone.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Rod Speed July 30th 19 06:08 AM

Enamel bath cleaning

tabbypurr wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star'

odd name

I thought so

https://cdn.aws.toolstation.com/images/141020-UK/800/30886.jpg

I think the German for enamel is Email. :)

Nope Emaille

Interesting that Star has crept into their language in place of Stern.

harry July 30th 19 07:00 AM

Enamel bath cleaning

On Monday, 29 July 2019 18:08:54 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Have a new steel/enamel bath that, due to lack of space, has been stored
outdoors awaiting installation, rainwater has pooled in it, with
decomposed leaves etc, so not ideal. I pressure washed the green gunge
off it today but a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom, even the
p/w turbo nozzle wouldn't touch it.

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star' applied with a damp
microfibre cloth, doesn't need much more than gentle rubbing and then
rinsing off, spotless ... recommended!

I've found bleach useful in such circumstances.

Andy Burns[_13_] July 30th 19 08:28 AM

Enamel bath cleaning

harry wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom

I've found bleach useful in such circumstances.

I avoided that because previously, I've found bleach made the enamel go
rough.

Andy Burns[_13_] July 30th 19 08:29 AM

Enamel bath cleaning

Brian Gaff wrote:

I'd expect it to be called something like Gunge Gone.

It seems email (or emaille) is German for enamel and star is German for
gleam.

Rod Speed July 30th 19 10:44 AM

Enamel bath cleaning

"harry" wrote in message
On Monday, 29 July 2019 18:08:54 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Have a new steel/enamel bath that, due to lack of space, has been stored
outdoors awaiting installation, rainwater has pooled in it, with
decomposed leaves etc, so not ideal. I pressure washed the green gunge
off it today but a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom, even the
p/w turbo nozzle wouldn't touch it.

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star' applied with a damp
microfibre cloth, doesn't need much more than gentle rubbing and then
rinsing off, spotless ... recommended!

I've found bleach useful in such circumstances.

Yeah, its pretty good for eating organic stuff.

Peeler[_4_] July 30th 19 10:49 AM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 15:08:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I think the German for enamel is Email. :)

Nope Emaille

It's BOTH, senile asshole!

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."

Peeler[_4_] July 30th 19 11:19 AM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 19:44:38 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bleach would go VERY well down your big gob, senile bull**** artist!

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates

Andrew[_22_] July 30th 19 11:36 AM

Enamel bath cleaning

On 30/07/2019 08:28, Andy Burns wrote:
harry wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom

I've found bleach useful in such circumstances.

I avoided that because previously, I've found bleach made the enamel go
rough.

But you said it has sand embedded in the enamel. Doesn't get much
rougher than that, surely ?.

Andy Burns[_13_] July 30th 19 11:39 AM

Enamel bath cleaning

Andy Burns wrote:

Andrew wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I've found bleach made the enamel go rough.

But you said it has sand embedded in the enamel. Doesn't get much
rougher than that, surely ?.

[bugger clicked too soon]

But that's in a specific pattern on just one part of the bath.

harry July 30th 19 03:54 PM

Enamel bath cleaning

On Tuesday, 30 July 2019 08:28:32 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
harry wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom

I've found bleach useful in such circumstances.

I avoided that because previously, I've found bleach made the enamel go
rough.

Enamel is glass should be impervious to chemicals/

Jim K.. July 31st 19 12:41 PM

Enamel bath cleaning

alan_m Wrote in message:
On 29/07/2019 18:08, Andy Burns wrote:
Have a new steel/enamel bath that, due to lack of space, has been stored
outdoors awaiting installation, rainwater has pooled in it, with
decomposed leaves etc, so not ideal. I pressure washed the green gunge
off it today but a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom, even the
p/w turbo nozzle wouldn't touch it.

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star' applied with a damp
microfibre cloth, doesn't need much more than gentle rubbing and then
rinsing off, spotless ... recommended!

angle grinding is cheaper :)

Is there a downside to using this polishing paste? Could it make the
surface too slippery to be safe when stepping in or out of the bath?

Not on the sides where the tidemark was shurely?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/