Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I LOVE THERMAL MASS

Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher was thinking very hard :
Outside: 36C
Inside: 28C

Outside 34.3C
Inside 29.7C

SWMBO doesn't understand cooler with the windows and doors closed :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 15:21:01 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Passive houses work both ways.
33Deg C 22Deg C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 15:21:01 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

Dunno outside.

26 inside. And just had 30 seconds of heavy rain.

Think I might sleep in the (internal) bathroom - no solar gain, negligible outside air with the fan off.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can't fault aircon, running on Solar generation 😁

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 15:21:01 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

Used the 330w fan to help cool the place when outdoorindoor. Nice. Shame I don't still have the 2kW one, not that that much blast was ever needed!

Spraying water on outdoor walls/roof helped a lot too.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2019 00:25, Pamela wrote:
On 17:28 25 Jul 2019, harry wrote:

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 15:21:01 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Outside: 36°C Inside: 28°C

:-)

Passive houses work both ways. 33Deg C 22Deg C

How do you get such a large temperature difference?

Insulation, insulation, insulation and/or bury your house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 26/07/2019 00:25, Pamela wrote:
On 17:28 25 Jul 2019, harry wrote:

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 15:21:01 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Outside: 36°C Inside: 28°C

:-)

Passive houses work both ways. 33Deg C 22Deg C

How do you get such a large temperature difference?

Insulation, insulation, insulation

That doesnt work in this heat wave because the
overnight temperature doesnt get that low.

and/or bury your house.

Neither does that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Here it was outside 38 c inside 26c. Still too hot and definitely too humid
yesterday. The issue was of course that if you sweat in a humid environment
where the air is already saturated, it does not work to cool you down.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Outside: 36C
Inside: 28C

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield laid this down on his screen :
The Natural Philosopher was thinking very hard :
Outside: 36C
Inside: 28C

Outside 34.3C
Inside 29.7C

SWMBO doesn't understand cooler with the windows and doors closed :-(

Problem now, is that the thermal mass has gradually picked up energy
over the recent hot days, so despite it being cooler outside, it is
still hot and sticky indoors..

Outside 21.0C
Inside 26.7C - even with windows open and blowing cooler air in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 13:33:03 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

How do you get such a large temperature difference?

Insulation, insulation, insulation

That doesnt work in this heat wave because the
overnight temperature doesnt get that low.

Hahahahaaa!!! Auto-contradicting, senile IDIOT!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Outside -10 with windchill
Inside +10, even with 30kW of heat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2019 03:54, alan_m wrote:
On 26/07/2019 00:25, Pamela wrote:
On 17:28* 25 Jul 2019, harry wrote:

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 15:21:01 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Outside: 36°C Inside: 28°C

:-)

Passive houses work both ways. 33Deg C* 22Deg C

How do you get such a large temperature difference?

Insulation, insulation, insulation and/or bury your house.

Not insulation. Thermal Mass.

te huge lumps pf masonry in my chinmneys and the huge cast concrete
ground floor, all end up at the average tempearture beytween day and
might. Around 26C

By day, draw the curtains and shut the windows. at night reverse that./

--
People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2019 09:49, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield laid this down on his screen :
The Natural Philosopher was thinking very hard :
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

Outside 34.3C
Inside 29.7C

SWMBO doesn't understand cooler with the windows and doors closed :-(

Problem now, is that the thermal mass has gradually picked up energy
over the recent hot days, so despite it being cooler outside, it is
still hot and sticky indoors..

Outside 21.0C
Inside* 26.7C - even with windows open and blowing cooler air in.

Hmm.

Ousode is 26 now
inside is 27 with some solar gain,. Must replace those curtains

--
People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.
Indeed, when a conventional wisdom is at its fullest strength, ones
agreement with that conventional wisdom becomes almost a litmus test of
ones suitability to be taken seriously.

Paul Krugman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 July 2019 12:48:42 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/07/2019 03:54, alan_m wrote:
On 26/07/2019 00:25, Pamela wrote:
On 17:28* 25 Jul 2019, harry wrote:

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 15:21:01 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Outside: 36°C Inside: 28°C

:-)

Passive houses work both ways. 33Deg C* 22Deg C

How do you get such a large temperature difference?

Insulation, insulation, insulation and/or bury your house.

Not insulation. Thermal Mass.

te huge lumps pf masonry in my chinmneys and the huge cast concrete
ground floor, all end up at the average tempearture beytween day and
might. Around 26C

By day, draw the curtains and shut the windows. at night reverse that./

--

Passive houses have both.
Thermal mass and lots of insulation round the outside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2019 03:54, alan_m wrote:
On 26/07/2019 00:25, Pamela wrote:
On 17:28* 25 Jul 2019, harry wrote:

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 15:21:01 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Outside: 36°C Inside: 28°C

:-)

Passive houses work both ways. 33Deg C* 22Deg C

How do you get such a large temperature difference?

Insulation, insulation, insulation and/or bury your house.

Not insulation. Thermal Mass.

te huge lumps pf masonry in my chinmneys and the huge cast concrete
ground floor, all end up at the average tempearture beytween day and
might. Around 26C

By day, draw the curtains and shut the windows. at night reverse that./

Really useless advice to anyone living in the centre of a built up
area where burglaries are commonplace.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2019 12:19, Andrew wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Outside -10 with windchill
Inside* +10, even with 30kW of heat

Not much global warming there, then

--
People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.
Indeed, when a conventional wisdom is at its fullest strength, ones
agreement with that conventional wisdom becomes almost a litmus test of
ones suitability to be taken seriously.

Paul Krugman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2019 15:12, Andrew wrote:
On 26/07/2019 03:54, alan_m wrote:
On 26/07/2019 00:25, Pamela wrote:
On 17:28* 25 Jul 2019, harry wrote:

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 15:21:01 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Outside: 36°C Inside: 28°C

:-)

Passive houses work both ways. 33Deg C* 22Deg C

How do you get such a large temperature difference?

Insulation, insulation, insulation and/or bury your house.

Not insulation. Thermal Mass.

te huge lumps pf masonry in my chinmneys and the huge cast concrete
ground floor, all end up at the average tempearture beytween day and
might. Around 26C

By day, draw the curtains and shut the windows. at night reverse that./

Really useless advice to anyone living in the centre of a built up
area where burglaries are commonplace.

You can tersditct that to the upstairs bedrooms

Of course if you arent there at night...who cares how hot it is?

--
People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.
Indeed, when a conventional wisdom is at its fullest strength, ones
agreement with that conventional wisdom becomes almost a litmus test of
ones suitability to be taken seriously.

Paul Krugman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :
Not insulation. Thermal Mass.

Both help.

te huge lumps pf masonry in my chinmneys and the huge cast concrete ground
floor, all end up at the average tempearture beytween day and might. Around
26C

Likewise here, plus a few tons of stone.

By day, draw the curtains and shut the windows. at night reverse that./

Ideally, for cool in the home - when the outside is warmer, close
windows; when the outside is cooler, open windows. Problem is with
closed windows it can seem stuffy indoors in hot weather.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff brought next idea :
Here it was outside 38 c inside 26c. Still too hot and definitely too humid
yesterday. The issue was of course that if you sweat in a humid environment
where the air is already saturated, it does not work to cool you down.

I minimised clothing, got out the big fans and used a hand spray filled
with water on the two dogs. I took three showers cool during the course
of the day and rather than drying off, allowed the water to evaporate.
My final shower was to go to bed still wet.

To help cool the house, I added a large fan on the bedroom window sill,
in front of the open window. Had it got much hotter, I would have
broken my rule and been hanging wet sheets in front of a fan, to form
an evaporative cooler.

My rule is no wet washing hung to dry in the house, except in the
utility with the fan and dehumidifier running.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 26/07/2019 03:54, alan_m wrote:
On 26/07/2019 00:25, Pamela wrote:
On 17:28 25 Jul 2019, harry wrote:

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 15:21:01 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Outside: 36°C Inside: 28°C

:-)

Passive houses work both ways. 33Deg C 22Deg C

How do you get such a large temperature difference?

Insulation, insulation, insulation and/or bury your house.

Not insulation. Thermal Mass.

te huge lumps pf masonry in my chinmneys and the huge cast concrete
ground floor, all end up at the average tempearture beytween day and
might. Around 26C

By day, draw the curtains and shut the windows. at night reverse that./

Really useless advice to anyone living in the centre of a built up
area where burglaries are commonplace.

Not if you have bars on the windows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Hands up those that do not have a thermometer and just opened the back
windows when they got in from work to "let some air in"?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Hands up those that do not have a thermometer and just opened the back
windows when they got in from work to "let some air in"?

My hoouse stat tells nme inside tem[ps and I have a mercutry termotere
as part of a vinateg barometer

Outsode I use lakenheath, mildenhall or Cambridge airfields via th linux
weather app to see whats what

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.

Herbert Spencer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 04:49:50 +1000, Swer, better known as cantankerous

Really useless advice to anyone living in the centre of a built up
area where burglaries are commonplace.

Not if you have bars on the windows.

HAHAHAHAAA!!! In auto-contradicting mode again, asshole?

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 July 2019 15:13:02 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 26/07/2019 03:54, alan_m wrote:
On 26/07/2019 00:25, Pamela wrote:
On 17:28* 25 Jul 2019, harry wrote:

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 15:21:01 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Outside: 36°C Inside: 28°C

:-)

Passive houses work both ways. 33Deg C* 22Deg C

How do you get such a large temperature difference?

Insulation, insulation, insulation and/or bury your house.

Not insulation. Thermal Mass.

te huge lumps pf masonry in my chinmneys and the huge cast concrete
ground floor, all end up at the average tempearture beytween day and
might. Around 26C

By day, draw the curtains and shut the windows. at night reverse that./

Really useless advice to anyone living in the centre of a built up
area where burglaries are commonplace.

not really, you can fit an extractor fan instead of leaving windows open.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Hands up those that do not have a thermometer and just opened the back
windows when they got in from work to "let some air in"?

My hoouse stat tells nme inside tem[ps and I have a mercutry termotere
as part of a vinateg barometer

Outsode I use lakenheath, mildenhall or Cambridge airfields via th linux
weather app to see whats what

Such unneeded effort IMHO as there there is not much you can do about it:-)

1. I know when it is hot
2. People in the street tell you it is hot (the same pillocks that tell
you when it is raining)
3. Weather forecasts tell you when it will be hot.
4. It would be a **** of a job to change the thermal mass of my house.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Hands up those that do not have a thermometer and just opened the back
windows when they got in from work to "let some air in"?

My outside thermometer hit 39c yesterday.

Not that it matters its only slightly hotter than 16 years ago when the
last highest ever temperature was set.

So there has been no significant increase in UK temps for at least 16 years.

Somehow I expect harry to ignore that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 July 2019 22:39:23 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Hands up those that do not have a thermometer and just opened the back
windows when they got in from work to "let some air in"?

My outside thermometer hit 39c yesterday.

Not that it matters its only slightly hotter than 16 years ago when the
last highest ever temperature was set.

So there has been no significant increase in UK temps for at least 16 years.

Somehow I expect harry to ignore that.

Your usual ****-fer-brains bollix.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49085806
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2019 21:46, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Hands up those that do not have a thermometer and just opened the
back windows when they got in from work to "let some air in"?

My hoouse stat tells nme inside tem[ps and I have a mercutry termotere
as part of a vinateg barometer

Outsode I use lakenheath, mildenhall or Cambridge airfields via th
linux weather app to see whats what

Such unneeded effort IMHO as there there is not much you can do about it:-)

1. I know when it is hot
2. People in the street tell you it is hot (the same pillocks that tell
you when it is raining)
3. Weather forecasts tell you when it will be hot.
4. It would be a **** of a job to change the thermal mass of my house.

Actually simply casting a big concrete block inside the house would do it

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2019 21:46, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Hands up those that do not have a thermometer and just opened the
back windows when they got in from work to "let some air in"?

My hoouse stat tells nme inside tem[ps and I have a mercutry
termotere as part of a vinateg barometer

Outsode I use lakenheath, mildenhall or Cambridge airfields via th
linux weather app to see whats what

Such unneeded effort IMHO as there there is not much you can do about
it:-)

1. I know when it is hot
2. People in the street tell you it is hot (the same pillocks that
tell you when it is raining)
3. Weather forecasts tell you when it will be hot.
4. It would be a **** of a job to change the thermal mass of my house.

Actually simply casting a big concrete block inside the house would do it

But not very well.
It would be far better to have air channels in it so you could get
energy in and out when you wanted.
We could call it E7 heating for instance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Hands up those that do not have a thermometer and just opened the back
windows when they got in from work to "let some air in"?

My hoouse stat tells nme inside tem[ps and I have a mercutry termotere as
part of a vinateg barometer

Outsode I use lakenheath, mildenhall or Cambridge airfields via th linux
weather app to see whats what

Such unneeded effort IMHO as there there is not much you can do about
it:-)

Thats bull****. When its forecast to be hot you can let the house cool down
overnight by leaving the windows open overnight and close them when you
get up on the day forecast to be hot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 05:26:05 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Thats bull****. When its forecast to be hot you can let the house cool down
overnight by leaving the windows open overnight and close them when you
get up on the day forecast to be hot.

The pathological senile idiot knows is ALL better ...ALWAYS! I mean REALLY
always! LMAO

--
dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 July 2019 10:53:49 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/07/2019 21:46, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Hands up those that do not have a thermometer and just opened the
back windows when they got in from work to "let some air in"?

My hoouse stat tells nme inside tem[ps and I have a mercutry termotere
as part of a vinateg barometer

Outsode I use lakenheath, mildenhall or Cambridge airfields via th
linux weather app to see whats what

Such unneeded effort IMHO as there there is not much you can do about it:-)

1. I know when it is hot
2. People in the street tell you it is hot (the same pillocks that tell
you when it is raining)
3. Weather forecasts tell you when it will be hot.
4. It would be a **** of a job to change the thermal mass of my house.

Actually simply casting a big concrete block inside the house would do it

I have 30 tons of thermal mass concrete in my house. It takes three months to cool off/warm up.
I have zero heating bill.
Plus. a negative electricity bill to the value of £2000/year.
Plus a zero fuel cost car in Summer.

You need to do things properly.
It enables a reasonably good lifestyle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 July 2019 12:54:13 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/07/2019 21:46, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

[...]

It doesn't work. I have tried it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2019 07:51, harry wrote:

I have 30 tons of thermal mass concrete in my house. It takes three months to cool off/warm up.
I have zero heating bill.
Plus. a negative electricity bill to the value of £2000/year.
Plus a zero fuel cost car in Summer.

You need to do things properly.
It enables a reasonably good lifestyle.

Money, money, money the only thing that matters to greens like harry.

He doesn't save CO2 from his solar panels he just gets about 60p a unit
in FIT payments.

He has zero heating bills because he burns dirty smoky logs.

He only uses his car at night because its on charge when its sunny.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 23:51:37 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

snip

I have 30 tons of thermal mass concrete in my house.

It's probably the vault. It's good to see you are storing the money
you steal off all of us via the FIT theft safely, for when the
revolution comes and you will share it back out.

Your 'thermal mass' might then double up as your panic room!

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2019 21:46, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Hands up those that do not have a thermometer and just opened the
back windows when they got in from work to "let some air in"?

My hoouse stat tells nme inside tem[ps and I have a mercutry
termotere as part of a vinateg barometer

Outsode I use lakenheath, mildenhall or Cambridge airfields via th
linux weather app to see whats what

Such unneeded effort IMHO as there there is not much you can do about
it:-)

1. I know when it is hot
2. People in the street tell you it is hot (the same pillocks that
tell you when it is raining)
3. Weather forecasts tell you when it will be hot.
4. It would be a **** of a job to change the thermal mass of my house.

Actually simply casting a big concrete block inside the house would do it

Or even planting some deciduous trees to stop/reduce the solar gain in
summer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2019 07:51, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 27 July 2019 10:53:49 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/07/2019 21:46, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

[...]

You really are a ****stain, harry.
If every home in the UK had 30 tons of concrete thermal mass that would
be about 750 million tons of the stuff.
If every home in the UK was being as parasitic as you, who would pay for
the FIT bill?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 10:26:45 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

snip

Actually simply casting a big concrete block inside the house would do it

Or even planting some deciduous trees to stop/reduce the solar gain in
summer.

I'm not sure our local Council would like us blocking the road. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Outside: 36C
Inside: 28C

Not nuclear powered? So only works when the sun shines? ;-)

--
*Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.