Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I LOVE THERMAL MASS

On 28/07/2019 10:26, Andrew wrote:
On 26/07/2019 21:46, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Hands up those that do not have a thermometer and just opened the
back windows when they got in from work to "let some air in"?

My hoouse stat tells nme inside tem[ps and I have a mercutry
termotere as part of a vinateg barometer

Outsode I use lakenheath, mildenhall or Cambridge airfields via th
linux weather app to see whats what

Such unneeded effort IMHO as there there is not much you can do about
it:-)

1. I know when it is hot
2. People in the street tell you it is hot (the same pillocks that
tell you when it is raining)
3. Weather forecasts tell you when it will be hot.
4. It would be a **** of a job to change the thermal mass of my house.

Actually simply casting a big concrete block inside the house would do it

Or even planting some deciduous trees to stop/reduce the solar gain in
summer.

NO. what you need is eaves overhang. Shade when the sun is high, solar
gain in winter

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2019 10:42, Richard wrote:
On 28/07/2019 07:51, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 27 July 2019 10:53:49 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher* wrote:
On 26/07/2019 21:46, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Hands up those that do not have a thermometer and just opened the
back windows when they got in from work to "let some air in"?

My hoouse stat tells nme inside tem[ps and I have a mercutry termotere
as part of a vinateg barometer

Outsode I use lakenheath, mildenhall or Cambridge airfields via th
linux weather app to see whats what

Such unneeded effort IMHO as there there is not much you can do
about it:-)

1. I know when it is hot
2. People in the street tell you it is hot (the same pillocks that tell
you when it is raining)
3. Weather forecasts tell you when it will be hot.
4. It would be a **** of a job to change the thermal mass of my house.

Actually simply casting a big concrete block inside the house would
do it

I have 30 tons of thermal mass concrete in my house. It takes three
months to cool off/warm up.
I have zero heating bill.
Plus. a negative electricity bill to the value of £2000/year.
Plus a zero fuel cost car in Summer.

You need to do things properly.
It enables a reasonably good lifestyle.

You really are a ****stain, harry.
If every home in the UK had 30 tons of concrete

Most have WAY more than that

Modern floors are solid 6" concrete with masses of insluation and UFH

thermal mass that would
be about 750 million tons of the stuff.
If every home in the UK was being as parasitic as you, who would pay for
the FIT bill?

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or even planting some deciduous trees to stop/reduce the solar gain in
summer.

NO. what you need is eaves overhang. Shade when the sun is high, solar
gain in winter

deciduous.. no leaves in winter

you need some bloody big eves overhangs to shade much of a house,
several meters on mine.
It would be easier to fit shutters like they do in sunny countries.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/07/2019 21:46, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Hands up those that do not have a thermometer and just opened the
back windows when they got in from work to "let some air in"?

My hoouse stat tells nme inside tem[ps and I have a mercutry
termotere as part of a vinateg barometer

Outsode I use lakenheath, mildenhall or Cambridge airfields via th
linux weather app to see whats what

Such unneeded effort IMHO as there there is not much you can do about
it:-)

1. I know when it is hot
2. People in the street tell you it is hot (the same pillocks that
tell you when it is raining)
3. Weather forecasts tell you when it will be hot.
4. It would be a **** of a job to change the thermal mass of my house.

Actually simply casting a big concrete block inside the house would do it

In the lounge?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 26/07/2019 21:46, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Hands up those that do not have a thermometer and just opened the back
windows when they got in from work to "let some air in"?

My hoouse stat tells nme inside tem[ps and I have a mercutry termotere
as part of a vinateg barometer

Outsode I use lakenheath, mildenhall or Cambridge airfields via th
linux weather app to see whats what

Such unneeded effort IMHO as there there is not much you can do about
it:-)

1. I know when it is hot
2. People in the street tell you it is hot (the same pillocks that tell
you when it is raining)
3. Weather forecasts tell you when it will be hot.
4. It would be a **** of a job to change the thermal mass of my house.

Actually simply casting a big concrete block inside the house would do it

But not very well.
It would be far better to have air channels in it so you could get energy
in and out when you wanted.

Much better to have a room full of road base crushed
rock on a metal grid at the bottom for an air chamber.

Problem is with your tiny houses, that takes a lot of space.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 06:17:59 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Much better to have

Senile idiot knows it ALL better ...AGAIN! LOL

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 19:34:44 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

To help cool the house, I added a large fan on the bedroom window sill,
in front of the open window.

So drawing the hotter external air into the house, yes that'll really
cool it down...

To keep a house as cool as possible shut the windows and draw the
curtains on the south ish facing sides. If it cools down enough
outside in the evening/over night open windows and open the curtians
on the north ish facing sides.

The thermal mass here also did it's stuff, inside only got to the
very low 20's C with it pushing 30 C outside.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 04:49:50 +1000, Swer wrote:

By day, draw the curtains and shut the windows. at night reverse
that./

Really useless advice to anyone living in the centre of a built up
area where burglaries are commonplace.

Not if you have bars on the windows.

The windows don't need to be wide open, The locked a jar position is
enough for accessable windows. On the safety hook for higher ones.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 July 2019 22:51:54 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 19:34:44 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

To help cool the house, I added a large fan on the bedroom window sill,
in front of the open window.

So drawing the hotter external air into the house, yes that'll really
cool it down...

To keep a house as cool as possible shut the windows and draw the
curtains on the south ish facing sides. If it cools down enough
outside in the evening/over night open windows and open the curtians
on the north ish facing sides.

The thermal mass here also did it's stuff, inside only got to the
very low 20's C with it pushing 30 C outside.

Houses vary. Some should be opened to cool them during a heatwave, some retain more coolth and are best shut. But all masonry houses can cool down at night from good ventilation, thus reducing day temp.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2019 18:03, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 21:46, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

Hands up those that do not have a thermometer and just opened the
back windows when they got in from work to "let some air in"?

My hoouse stat tells nme inside tem[ps and I have a mercutry
termotere as part of a vinateg barometer

Outsode I use lakenheath, mildenhall or Cambridge airfields via th
linux weather app to see whats what

Such unneeded effort IMHO as there there is not much you can do about
it:-)

1. I know when it is hot
2. People in the street tell you it is hot (the same pillocks that
tell you when it is raining)
3. Weather forecasts tell you when it will be hot.
4. It would be a **** of a job to change the thermal mass of my house.

Actually simply casting a big concrete block inside the house would do it

In the lounge?

Where else? Make a really nice loudspeaker and TV enclosure out of it
with a space for a fish tank.

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2019 22:51, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 19:34:44 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

To help cool the house, I added a large fan on the bedroom window sill,
in front of the open window.

So drawing the hotter external air into the house, yes that'll really
cool it down...

To keep a house as cool as possible shut the windows and draw the
curtains on the south ish facing sides. If it cools down enough
outside in the evening/over night open windows and open the curtians
on the north ish facing sides.

The thermal mass here also did it's stuff, inside only got to the
very low 20's C with it pushing 30 C outside.

You must be further north. It was over 35C here for sure. And I was in
the mid 20s inside

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

Or even planting some deciduous trees to stop/reduce the solar gain in
summer.

NO. what you need is eaves overhang. Shade when the sun is high, solar
gain in winter

deciduous.. no leaves in winter

you need some bloody big eves overhangs to shade much of a house, several
meters on mine.

Two meters on mine.

It would be easier to fit shutters like they do in sunny countries.

Abd gave to fart around opening and closing them twice a day. No thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 July 2019 00:45:09 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Where else? Make a really nice loudspeaker and TV enclosure out of it
with a space for a fish tank.

And cover it with stone cladding and call it the 1970s again

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 15:37:53 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

deciduous.. no leaves in winter

you need some bloody big eves overhangs to shade much of a house, several
meters on mine.

Two meters on mine.

Nobody asked you, senile Rodent.

It would be easier to fit shutters like they do in sunny countries.

Abd gave to fart around opening and closing them twice a day. No thanks.

You have no problem farting around and trolling on Usenet all night and day,
senile idiot!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

It would be a **** of a job to change the thermal mass of my house.

Actually simply casting a big concrete block inside the house would
do it

In the lounge?

Where else?

Rachel Whiteread wants her art-piece back ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2019 10:26, Andrew wrote:
On 26/07/2019 21:46, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

[...]

Plant big deciduous trees then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 July 2019 10:42:24 UTC+1, Richard wrote:
On 28/07/2019 07:51, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 27 July 2019 10:53:49 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/07/2019 21:46, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

[...]

If every home in the UK had 30 tons of concrete thermal mass that would
be about 750 million tons of the stuff.
If every home in the UK was being as parasitic as you, who would pay for
the FIT bill?

And you are a ****-fer-brains.
The thirty tons of concrete is part of the house structure.
It is the retaining wall for my earth shielded house.
Any medium sized traditional house could have a hundred tons of masonry/concrete in it.
When it comes to aggregates, brick, concrete, a hundred tons is nothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 July 2019 16:14:29 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 28/07/2019 10:42, Richard wrote:
On 28/07/2019 07:51, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 27 July 2019 10:53:49 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher* wrote:
On 26/07/2019 21:46, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 20:47, ARW wrote:
Outside: 36°C
Inside: 28°C

:-)

[...]

Our Richard is much to thick to understand such things.