Old July 12th 19, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Default Cloudy headlights

2004 Renault Master. Some of the online links suggest you have to go
back to 300 grit to remove enough material, can this be right?

Planning to use the new Lidl Cordless Angle Grinder (since there is no
mains where it is parked), also it has variable speed so can start at
about 1000 rpm. NOT with abrasive paper, I hasten to add.

I was thinking about using felt disks, either the plane ones or the ones
with a set of overlapping pads together with a polishing compound.

Comments?

Also any recommended UV lacquer to finish?

Old July 12th 19, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 15:30, newshound wrote:
2004 Renault Master. Some of the online links suggest you have to go
back to 300 grit to remove enough material, can this be right?

Planning to use the new Lidl Cordless Angle Grinder (since there is no
mains where it is parked), also it has variable speed so can start at
about 1000 rpm. NOT with abrasive paper, I hasten to add.

I was thinking about using felt disks, either the plane ones or the ones
with a set of overlapping pads together with a polishing compound.

Comments?

Also any recommended UV lacquer to finish?

I had an MOT advisory this year of "product on headlights"....do they
think I'm a boy racer in a fart can or what? ......I'm just going to use
toothpaste and an old toothbrush ......product my arse......
Old July 12th 19, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote :
I had an MOT advisory this year of "product on headlights"....do they think
I'm a boy racer in a fart can or what? ......I'm just going to use toothpaste
and an old toothbrush ......product my arse......

They are easy to polish up with toothpaste, autosol, or colourcut, but
once done they will decline more rapidly, because the UV coating has
been removed. I would like to know what UV coating works.
Old July 12th 19, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 17:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote :
I had an MOT advisory this year of "product on headlights"....do they
think I'm a boy racer in a fart can or what? ......I'm just going to
use toothpaste and an old toothbrush ......product my arse......

They are easy to polish up with toothpaste, autosol, or colourcut, but
once done they will decline more rapidly, because the UV coating has
been removed. I would like to know what UV coating works.

Yacht varnish?

Clear self adhesive window film?
Old July 12th 19, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

[email protected] used his keyboard to write :
Yacht varnish?

Clear self adhesive window film?

They are polycarb I think, so what ever used needs to not attack that
material - could be expensive if it does make a headlight lens craze.

Mine are sort of OK, but could do with a polish up. I bought a kit,
which included sachets of some cream which was supposed to retard the
hazing.

Old July 12th 19, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 18:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[email protected] used his keyboard to write :
Yacht varnish?

Clear self adhesive window film?

They are polycarb I think, so what ever used needs to not attack that
material - could be expensive if it does make a headlight lens craze.

Mine are sort of OK, but could do with a polish up. I bought a kit,
which included sachets of some cream which was supposed to retard the
hazing.

I would be tempted to try Foam Gun Cleaner, which is acetone.

I use this on my white upvc windows when spiders and other
insects leave brown stain marks.

Seems to work a treat.
Old July 12th 19, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...er-works-best/
Old July 12th 19, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

It happens that [email protected] formulated :

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...er-works-best/

Thanks, but all those just report the immediate result. I am more
interested in how well it lasts, the UV protection.

I can get my lens back to gleaming with what I have at the moment, I
have done it before, but given a few months they are as bad again due
to lack of UV protection.
Old July 12th 19, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 18:53, Andrew wrote:
On 12/07/2019 18:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[email protected] used his keyboard to write :
Yacht varnish?

Clear self adhesive window film?

They are polycarb I think, so what ever used needs to not attack that
material - could be expensive if it does make a headlight lens craze.

Mine are sort of OK, but could do with a polish up. I bought a kit,
which included sachets of some cream which was supposed to retard the
hazing.

I would be tempted to try Foam Gun Cleaner, which is acetone.

I use this on my white upvc windows when spiders and other
insects leave brown stain marks.

Seems to work a treat.

Really bad advice to put acetone on polycarbonate. Google it.

Headlights Steve B[_13_] Metalworking 22 April 8th 13 09:07 PM
foggy headlights Herb Eneva Home Repair 75 May 8th 12 03:41 PM
peugeot 206 headlights down tg[_5_] UK diy 12 January 25th 12 04:07 PM
cleaning car headlights Jules Richardson UK diy 28 October 26th 11 05:25 PM
Use car headlights for lighting field shelter? xena UK diy 15 September 3rd 06 06:52 PM