Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is this an Access panel in pavement

In the pavement outside our house is a 200mm square concrete "plug" or
panel in a pavement slab, probably about 50mm thick. Plug is a courser
mix concrete than pavement.
It isnt mortared in and I could probably lift it out if necessary.
What is it likely to cover ?
Old Water stoptap ?
I would like it to be access to the "drain" which exits our Victorian
terraced house 10m away , taking both surface and foul water, and
connects presumably to the main sewer in the road but which has no
manholes anywhere.
Photo: https://ibb.co/cC3dQBp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well cannot see your picture, but Thames Water have something as you
describe every few streets and the can use a kind of water pressure meter
that looks a bit like a bollard which plugs in and one supposes has a
cellular connection so they can track blockages or leaks.
They only use them for a while of course, take that from one who has
collided with many in my time of being blind!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Robert" wrote in message
In the pavement outside our house is a 200mm square concrete "plug" or
panel in a pavement slab, probably about 50mm thick. Plug is a courser mix
concrete than pavement.
It isnt mortared in and I could probably lift it out if necessary.
What is it likely to cover ?
Old Water stoptap ?
I would like it to be access to the "drain" which exits our Victorian
terraced house 10m away , taking both surface and foul water, and connects
presumably to the main sewer in the road but which has no manholes
anywhere.
Photo:
https://ibb.co/cC3dQBp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert wrote on 06/07/2019 :
What is it likely to cover ?
Old Water stoptap ?

It could even have been a coal hole. Some Victorian houses had their
coal cellars extend out under the pavement, so were filled via a lift
away panel in the public pavement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/07/2019 23:12, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Robert wrote on 06/07/2019 :
What is it likely to cover ?
Old Water stoptap ?

It could even have been a coal hole. Some Victorian houses had their
coal cellars extend out under the pavement, so were filled via a lift
away panel in the public pavement.

Did they drop the coal lump by lump?

That is a small cover.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2019 21:33, Robert wrote:
In the pavement outside our house is a 200mm square concrete "plug" or
panel in a pavement slab, probably about 50mm thick. Plug is a courser
mix concrete than pavement.
It isnt mortared in and I could probably lift it out if necessary.
What is it likely to cover ?
Old Water stoptap ?
I would like it to be access to the "drain" which exits our Victorian
terraced house 10m away , taking both surface and foul water, and
connects presumably to the main sewer in the road but which has no
manholes anywhere.
Photo:Â*Â* https://ibb.co/cC3dQBp

could be the cover for what we call in Scotland a Buchan disconnecting
trap .....if you lift it you will see the 6 inch top piece...but then
again sewer disconnecting traps usually have vented covers so probably
not....

https://www.scottishbrickhistory.co....gineerglasgow/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2019 07:15, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 06/07/2019 21:33, Robert wrote:
In the pavement outside our house is a 200mm square concrete "plug" or
panel in a pavement slab, probably about 50mm thick. Plug is a courser
mix concrete than pavement.
It isnt mortared in and I could probably lift it out if necessary.
What is it likely to cover ?
Old Water stoptap ?
I would like it to be access to the "drain" which exits our Victorian
terraced house 10m away , taking both surface and foul water, and
connects presumably to the main sewer in the road but which has no
manholes anywhere.
Photo:Â*Â* https://ibb.co/cC3dQBp

Â*could be the cover for what we call in Scotland a Buchan disconnecting
trap .....if you lift it you will see the 6 inch top piece...but then
again sewer disconnecting traps usually have vented covers so probably
not....

https://www.scottishbrickhistory.co....gineerglasgow/

had a guy in a detached house phone me once that his drains were backing
up...I visited and found he was rodding to a dead end so I asked him to
measure the length of his rods and find the spot where the rods were
stopping ....then I told him to start digging in his front lawn ...some
way down he hit a concrete slab...he removed the concrete slab and there
underneath was the top piece of his disconnecting trap complete with the
blockage....he couldn't thank me enough....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that ARW formulated :
Did they drop the coal lump by lump?

That is a small cover.

They used to be 12" x 12" so not much bigger that the quoted 200mm
square. They would use a metal funnel to guide it in.