Philip

Default delivery of blocks ? leave on pavement

I am having my path block paved and the delivery is due on Friday. The
contractor is expecting to have them delivered onto the pavement and
stay there for a few days.

Is this the best place for them? Is there a law about obstruction?
would the road be better? who deals with this in the council?

cheers

philip

Alan

No idea about the proper legal position, but I would think on the
pavement would be illegal. On the road would be better, but it would
have to be marked out with reflective cones (or similar barrier +
reflective material) to stop traffic crashing into them in the dark

Lobster

Philip wrote:
I am having my path block paved and the delivery is due on Friday. The
contractor is expecting to have them delivered onto the pavement and
stay there for a few days.

Is this the best place for them? Is there a law about obstruction?
would the road be better? who deals with this in the council?

Highways Dept. However they'll undoubtedly bury you in red tape if you
contact them...

I'd be tempted to put them on the pavement and trust that by the time
someone from the council comes round to whinge at you, they'll be gone.
Can you leave a gap for pedestrians/pushchairs/wheelchairs?

Is it a busy/fast road? Consider implications of someone killing
themeselves driving their car into the pallet on a dark evening and who
they will sue?

David
sPoNiX

On 9 Nov 2005 23:37:10 -0800, "Philip"
wrote:

I am having my path block paved and the delivery is due on Friday. The
contractor is expecting to have them delivered onto the pavement and
stay there for a few days.

Is this the best place for them? Is there a law about obstruction?
would the road be better? who deals with this in the council?

You need a licence from the Council to store building materials, skips
etc on the pavement.

sponix

wrote:

I am having my path block paved and the delivery is due on Friday. The
contractor is expecting to have them delivered onto the pavement and
stay there for a few days.

Is this the best place for them? Is there a law about obstruction?
would the road be better? who deals with this in the council?

You need a licence from the Council to store building materials, skips
etc on the pavement.

sponix

My local council think it is ok to leave emptied wheelie bins and
recycling boxes any old how obstructing the pavement so it would be
hypocrocy to complain about blocks that had been considerately stacked
so as not to cause an obstruction. But that is local councils for you.

Kevin

nightjar

"Philip" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am having my path block paved and the delivery is due on Friday. The
contractor is expecting to have them delivered onto the pavement and
stay there for a few days.

Is this the best place for them?

From the contractor's point of view it probably is. Putting them in the work
area means he would have to keep moving them around during the job. An
alternative would be to put them on private property, perhaps part of your
garden or even, as I have seen, on the next-door neighbour's drive,
presumably with permission.

Is there a law about obstruction?

Yes

would the road be better?

The contractor should have obtained a licence from the Council to store the
blocks on the highway (which includes pavements), which will detail where
they can be stored and what precautions will be required to protect users of
the highway. Ask to see that. You could also ask him whether he will be
protecting the blocks in accordance with Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs
Manual. If he looks blank in response to either question, check his work
very carefully as he may well be a less than reputable contractor.

who deals with this in the council?

Highways Department, but it is a bit late to get them involved now, if they
don't already know about it. Around here, they used to require at least six
weeks advance notice of closing part of a highway for temporary works.

Colin Bignell

Mike Harrison

On 9 Nov 2005 23:37:10 -0800, "Philip" wrote:

I am having my path block paved and the delivery is due on Friday. The
contractor is expecting to have them delivered onto the pavement and
stay there for a few days.

Is this the best place for them? Is there a law about obstruction?
would the road be better? who deals with this in the council?

cheers

philip

Pavement would be better as there is less chance of causing a serious acccident.

Lobster wrote:
Philip wrote:
I am having my path block paved and the delivery is due on Friday. The
contractor is expecting to have them delivered onto the pavement and
stay there for a few days.

Is this the best place for them? Is there a law about obstruction?
would the road be better? who deals with this in the council?

Highways Dept. However they'll undoubtedly bury you in red tape if you
contact them...

I'd be tempted to put them on the pavement and trust that by the time
someone from the council comes round to whinge at you, they'll be gone.
Can you leave a gap for pedestrians/pushchairs/wheelchairs?

rantPeople who block the pavement (with bricks, cars, whatever) are
complete arseholes./rant

As someone who has to regularly push an elderly relative around in a
wheelchair I have been VERY tempted to "accidently" scrape it down the
side of more than one car parked by a f**kwit.

MBQ

Rick

wrote:

I am having my path block paved and the delivery is due on Friday. The
contractor is expecting to have them delivered onto the pavement and
stay there for a few days.

Is this the best place for them? Is there a law about obstruction?
would the road be better? who deals with this in the council?

cheers

philip

I'd leave well alone, let the contrator take the full responsabilty
for doing this, and any problems he causes.

By the time the council get round to checking what you are up to, they
will be gone anyways.

Just don't heave the spare 1/2 pack of blocks on the pavment for 10+
years after the contrator has finished.

Rick

:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

rantPeople who block the pavement (with bricks, cars, whatever)

are
complete arseholes./rant

As someone who has to regularly push an elderly relative around in

wheelchair I have been VERY tempted to "accidently" scrape it down

the
side of more than one car parked by a f**kwit.

Oh right, so you think it better that they block the road, so that
you ambulance can't get trough when your elderly relative is taken
ill, or worst still, when your house is burning sown with your kids
trapped inside...

As for the original question, the correct place in on his own
property / land, even if that causes difficulties.
--
Regards, Jerry.
Location - United Kingdom.

:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
oups.com...

snip
You need a licence from the Council to store building materials,

skips
etc on the pavement.

My local council think it is ok to leave emptied wheelie bins and
recycling boxes any old how obstructing the pavement so it would be
hypocrocy to complain about blocks that had been considerately

stacked
so as not to cause an obstruction. But that is local councils for

you.

Hmm, me thinks even a full wheelie bin is some what different to a
half tonne of bricks!
--
Regards, Jerry.
Location - United Kingdom.
In the first instance please reply to group,
The quoted email address is a trash can for Spam only.

Bob Eager

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:42:42 UTC, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

As someone who has to regularly push an elderly relative around in

wheelchair I have been VERY tempted to "accidently" scrape it down

the
side of more than one car parked by a f**kwit.

Oh right, so you think it better that they block the road, so that
you ambulance can't get trough when your elderly relative is taken
ill, or worst still, when your house is burning sown with your kids
trapped inside...

No, they shouldn't be there at all. Cars parked on tha pavement deserve
to get scraped.

Geoffrey

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:42:42 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

snip

rantPeople who block the pavement (with bricks, cars, whatever)

are
complete arseholes./rant

As someone who has to regularly push an elderly relative around in

wheelchair I have been VERY tempted to "accidently" scrape it down

the
side of more than one car parked by a f**kwit.

Oh right, so you think it better that they block the road, so that
you ambulance can't get trough when your elderly relative is taken
ill, or worst still, when your house is burning sown with your kids
trapped inside...

Don't be ridiculous. If there isn't enough room to park on the road,
the answer is to park somewhere else - not to block the pavement OR
the road!

--
Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

rantPeople who block the pavement (with bricks, cars, whatever)

are
complete arseholes./rant

As someone who has to regularly push an elderly relative around in

wheelchair I have been VERY tempted to "accidently" scrape it down

the
side of more than one car parked by a f**kwit.

Oh right, so you think it better that they block the road, so that
you ambulance can't get trough when your elderly relative is taken
ill, or worst still, when your house is burning sown with your kids
trapped inside...

No, I think it better that I don't have to push a wheelchair out into
the middle of the road to get round some f**kwit's car that's blocking
the pavement when the road is plenty wide enough to park legally
without obstructing traffic. Maybe it was you?

If it were an obviously narrow road and the driver had an obvious need
and good reason to park on the pavement (and just turning your hazard
warning lights on is not enough, I'm afraid) then I would be a little
more understanding.

MBQ

:::Jerry::::

wrote:

As someone who has to regularly push an elderly relative

around in
wheelchair I have been VERY tempted to "accidently" scrape it

down
the
side of more than one car parked by a f**kwit.

Oh right, so you think it better that they block the road, so

that
you ambulance can't get trough when your elderly relative is

taken
ill, or worst still, when your house is burning sown with your

kids
trapped inside...

No, they shouldn't be there at all. Cars parked on tha pavement

deserve
to get scraped.

Oh right then, so you are in favour of *legally* parked vehicles
blocking roads for larger vehicles, such as fire engines etc. Rather
than some common sense on all parties...
--
Regards, Jerry.
Location - United Kingdom.
In the first instance please reply to group,
The quoted email address is a trash can for Spam only.

:::Jerry::::

"Geoffrey" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:42:42 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

snip

[...]

But there is, for another car, but how many car drivers think about
lorries and other large vehicles.

Again you are another simpleton with out any common sense!
--
Regards, Jerry.
Location - United Kingdom.
In the first instance please reply to group,
The quoted email address is a trash can for Spam only.

:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
oups.com...

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

snip

Oh right, so you think it better that they block the road, so

that
you ambulance can't get trough when your elderly relative is

taken
ill, or worst still, when your house is burning sown with your

kids
trapped inside...

No, I think it better that I don't have to push a wheelchair out

into
the middle of the road to get round some f**kwit's car that's

blocking
the pavement when the road is plenty wide enough to park legally
without obstructing traffic. Maybe it was you?

snip

If there was room to get a large vehicle down the road then you do
have a point, but if not, would you prefer that the road was blocked
to large vehicles (such as Fire engines [1]) due to *legally* parked
cars?

[1] were do you think the Fire crew will man handle (or ram) such
vehicles to, yes the pavement!
--
Regards, Jerry.
Location - United Kingdom.
In the first instance please reply to group,
The quoted email address is a trash can for Spam only.

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

snip

[...]

That was answered by the second part of my post which you conveniently
snipped.

MBQ

Bob Eager

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:07:21 UTC, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

No, they shouldn't be there at all. Cars parked on tha pavement

deserve
to get scraped.

Oh right then, so you are in favour of *legally* parked vehicles
blocking roads for larger vehicles, such as fire engines etc. Rather
than some common sense on all parties...

No, I said they shouldn't be there at all. Do try and keep up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geoffrey

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:09:33 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Geoffrey" wrote in message
.. .

Don't be ridiculous. If there isn't enough room to park on the

road,
the answer is to park somewhere else - not to block the pavement OR
the road!

But there is, for another car, but how many car drivers think about
lorries and other large vehicles.

Again you are another simpleton with out any common sense!

There is never a need for a lorry or large vehicle) to park on a road
blocking the passage of emergency vehicles.

Unload yes, park no.

Just because a lorry or large vehicle driver has to be at a property
all day doesn't absolve him of the responsibility to stop (on the
road), unload and then move the vehicle to a safer parking spot.

--
Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
:::Jerry::::

wrote:

No, they shouldn't be there at all. Cars parked on tha pavement

deserve
to get scraped.

Oh right then, so you are in favour of *legally* parked vehicles
blocking roads for larger vehicles, such as fire engines etc.

Rather
than some common sense on all parties...

No, I said they shouldn't be there at all. Do try and keep up.

What, the legally parked cars should not be their, you moron, perhaps
your car should not be on the road either... Perhaps it's you family
who should be the ones who don't get rescued due to *legally* parked
cars, rather than being parked illegally but with some common sense
on all parties.

I suggest that it's you who needs to keep up rather than being the
ignoranus in his ivory tower...
--
Regards, Jerry.
Location - United Kingdom.
In the first instance please reply to group,
The quoted email address is a trash can for Spam only.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
oups.com...

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

snip

[...]

Yes I know, I was just re enforcing the point that your original
remarks were noting but an ignorant rant!
--
Regards, Jerry.
Location - United Kingdom.
In the first instance please reply to group,
The quoted email address is a trash can for Spam only.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
:::Jerry::::

"Geoffrey" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:09:33 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Geoffrey" wrote in message
.. .

Don't be ridiculous. If there isn't enough room to park on the

road,
the answer is to park somewhere else - not to block the pavement

OR
the road!

But there is, for another car, but how many car drivers think

about
lorries and other large vehicles.

Again you are another simpleton with out any common sense!

There is never a need for a lorry or large vehicle) to park on a

road
blocking the passage of emergency vehicles.

No, I'm not talking about lorries parking but the ignorant car driver
who thinks that there is plenty enough space for others to pass
whilst only thinking about cars and not those who need to pass in
large vehicles.
--
Regards, Jerry.
Location - United Kingdom.
In the first instance please reply to group,
The quoted email address is a trash can for Spam only.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
snip

[...]

No, I think you just like the look of your own posts, a bit like people
who like the sound of their own voice and never shut up. It was,
afterall, a totally pointless post which you admit I had already
answered.

It was a rant, I admit that, but it's based on first hand experience,
not ignorance. You obviously have no experience of the problems caused
by inconsiderate parking when you are trying to push a wheelchair or
pushchair along the pavement.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Summers

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
If there was room to get a large vehicle down the road then you do
have a point, but if not, would you prefer that the road was blocked
to large vehicles (such as Fire engines [1]) due to *legally* parked
cars?

Are they legally parked if they are blocking the road?

The highway code (see para 217) would appear to suggest that they are not:

DO NOT park your vehicle or trailer on the road where it would endanger,
inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users. For example, do
not stop

* anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services

Ta-ra

Rob