Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Enlarging a hole

Measured up something round I wanted a reasonably tight fit into 12mm ply.
60mm diameter. Bought a 60mm hole saw, and the hole is slightly
undersized. Any tips on the easiest way to enlarge it slightly and neatly
- about 1mm?

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Measured up something round I wanted a reasonably tight fit into 12mm ply.
60mm diameter. Bought a 60mm hole saw, and the hole is slightly
undersized. Any tips on the easiest way to enlarge it slightly and neatly
- about 1mm?

Wrap abrasive sheet around the hole saw?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2019 11:34, Richard wrote:
Measured up something round I wanted a reasonably tight fit into 12mm
ply.
60mm diameter. Bought a 60mm hole saw, and the hole is slightly
undersized. Any tips on the easiest way to enlarge it slightly and neatly
- about 1mm?

Wrap abrasive sheet around the hole saw?

Can you find a flap-wheel that will squeeze into the hole? Use this
(ideally in a pillar drill) to hone it out to size. Failing that, take a
piece of dowel / bar that will fit into your drill, cut a diametral slot
of suitable depth in one end, and slide a length of coarse abrasive
paper folded double through it as a "DIY" flapwheel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Measured up something round I wanted a reasonably tight fit into 12mm ply.
60mm diameter. Bought a 60mm hole saw, and the hole is slightly
undersized. Any tips on the easiest way to enlarge it slightly and neatly
- about 1mm?

Have you got a flapwheel?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Measured up something round I wanted a reasonably tight fit into 12mm ply.
60mm diameter. Bought a 60mm hole saw, and the hole is slightly
undersized. Any tips on the easiest way to enlarge it slightly and neatly
- about 1mm?

Use a rasp. Scribe a ring around the exiting hole first if you arent
confident of doing it freehand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 06:59:19 +1000, Jimbo, better known as cantankerous

Use a rasp. Scribe a ring around the exiting hole first if you arent
confident of doing it freehand.

I believe we've clarified this already, your latest "Jimbo"-nym seems to be
in Plowman's killfile again. You needs must make up yet another new nym,
senile Rodent! BG

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 June 2019 11:13:28 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Measured up something round I wanted a reasonably tight fit into 12mm ply..
60mm diameter. Bought a 60mm hole saw, and the hole is slightly
undersized. Any tips on the easiest way to enlarge it slightly and neatly
- about 1mm?

Get yourself a flap wheel.
Excellent for enlarging holes.

https://uk.farnell.com/proxxon/28984/flap-wheel-20x10mm/dp/1075642?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrpLoBRD_ARIsAJd0BIUVjAHkA5Eq j3g0jfo8Hkx_hbuZkqWGXWW3fukfAowMRkkBkck21dgaAjAYEA Lw_wcB&gross_price=true&mckv=5eM9OVXv_dc|pcrid|781 08376509|&CAWELAID=120173390000001133&CAGPSPN=pla& CAAGID=14406255429&CMP=KNC-GUK-GEN-SHOPPING-1075642&CATCI=pla-58909124666

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 15/06/2019 11:34, Richard wrote:
Measured up something round I wanted a reasonably tight fit into 12mm
ply.
60mm diameter. Bought a 60mm hole saw, and the hole is slightly
undersized. Any tips on the easiest way to enlarge it slightly and neatly
- about 1mm?

Wrap abrasive sheet around the hole saw?

Can you find a flap-wheel that will squeeze into the hole? Use this
(ideally in a pillar drill) to hone it out to size. Failing that, take a
piece of dowel / bar that will fit into your drill, cut a diametral slot
of suitable depth in one end, and slide a length of coarse abrasive
paper folded double through it as a "DIY" flapwheel.

I remember trying to replace a flap wheel years ago, and not being able to
find one. So did a search. Toolstation claimed to have one (they have a
branch nearby) but it is deleted. But got a 60mm one from Screwfix, which
did the trick in seconds. Thanks.

--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 11:13:19 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
[snip]

When I saw this, I thought it should be marked 'NSFW' :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
[...]

Excellent: definitely the easiest way to get an accurate result.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[snip]

When I saw this, I thought it should be marked 'NSFW' :-)

No, it wasn't from Adam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[snip]

When I saw this, I thought it should be marked 'NSFW' :-)

No, it wasn't from Adam.

Well, I do have what was known at work as a honeymoon tool here.

Anyone care to speculate what it is?

--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Well, I do have what was known at work as a honeymoon tool here.

Anyone care to speculate what it is?

Our wiremen called them courting pliers.

For stretching cable markers or other sleeving over cables.

Three thin fingers which separate when you squeeze the handles

https://images.app.goo.gl/rxHoPAzijxo2PTyu6

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Well, I do have what was known at work as a honeymoon tool here.

Anyone care to speculate what it is?

Our wiremen called them courting pliers.

For stretching cable markers or other sleeving over cables.

Three thin fingers which separate when you squeeze the handles

https://images.app.goo.gl/rxHoPAzijxo2PTyu6

Farmers use a similar tool as well to apply rubber rings to Lambs tails and
testicles for docking and castration though they tend to have four fingers.

https://www.tannertrading.co.uk/cast... BEgJP8_D_BwE

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Well, I do have what was known at work as a honeymoon tool here.

Anyone care to speculate what it is?

Our wiremen called them courting pliers.

For stretching cable markers or other sleeving over cables.

Three thin fingers which separate when you squeeze the handles

https://images.app.goo.gl/rxHoPAzijxo2PTyu6

Also *fanny stretchers*.

I have a *stepped* cutter and a twin flute, cup shaped boring tool.
Neither suitable for the OP problem.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Well, I do have what was known at work as a honeymoon tool here.

Anyone care to speculate what it is?

Our wiremen called them courting pliers.

For stretching cable markers or other sleeving over cables.

Three thin fingers which separate when you squeeze the handles

https://images.app.goo.gl/rxHoPAzijxo2PTyu6

Virtual cigar on its way. ;-)

--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:

For stretching cable markers or other sleeving over cables.

Three thin fingers which separate when you squeeze the handles

https://images.app.goo.gl/rxHoPAzijxo2PTyu6

Virtual cigar on its way. ;-)

:-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris J Dixon
scribeth thus
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Well, I do have what was known at work as a honeymoon tool here.

Anyone care to speculate what it is?

Our wiremen called them courting pliers.

For stretching cable markers or other sleeving over cables.

Three thin fingers which separate when you squeeze the handles

https://images.app.goo.gl/rxHoPAzijxo2PTyu6

Chris

We referred to them as Hellermann pliers when putting rubber sleeves on
high voltage cables in UHF TV transmitters waay back in the late
sixties!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Chris J Dixon
scribeth thus
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Well, I do have what was known at work as a honeymoon tool here.

Anyone care to speculate what it is?

Our wiremen called them courting pliers.

For stretching cable markers or other sleeving over cables.

Three thin fingers which separate when you squeeze the handles

https://images.app.goo.gl/rxHoPAzijxo2PTyu6

Chris

We referred to them as Hellermann pliers when putting rubber sleeves on
high voltage cables in UHF TV transmitters waay back in the late
sixties!...

we used them on MUSA connectors for concealing the braid. Again 1960s. I've
still got mine.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jun 2019 at 10:24:04, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Chris J Dixon
scribeth thus
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Well, I do have what was known at work as a honeymoon tool here.

Anyone care to speculate what it is?

Our wiremen called them courting pliers.

For stretching cable markers or other sleeving over cables.

Three thin fingers which separate when you squeeze the handles

https://images.app.goo.gl/rxHoPAzijxo2PTyu6

Chris

We referred to them as Hellermann pliers when putting rubber sleeves on
high voltage cables in UHF TV transmitters waay back in the late
sixties!...

They were Hellerman pliers in the RAF in the 1950s, used with
Hellerman fluid - otherwise known as "cow come".

Best tool for enlarging a hole in steel (10mm to 15mm 'ish) [email protected] UK diy 18 April 12th 12 05:07 PM
Enlarging a round hole Martin UK diy 12 November 6th 05 11:47 PM
Enlarging 4" hole through ceramic tiles Lobster UK diy 7 January 2nd 05 02:01 AM
Enlarging a hole for a de barry martin Home Repair 1 October 14th 04 02:12 AM
Enlarging an existing door knob hole...HELP! anthony Woodworking 21 August 12th 03 04:11 PM