Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does nitrile 2 part rubber exist

I'm very aware 2-part RTV silicone rubber exists at various moduli, but
need something that is more oil resistant and can be moulded into a
gasket of sorts.

Any ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2019 21:52, Fredxx wrote:
I'm very aware 2-part RTV silicone rubber exists at various moduli, but
need something that is more oil resistant and can be moulded into a
gasket of sorts.

Any ideas?

Frankly no. I think nitrile needs fairly sophisticated kit to make -
isn't it moulded and vulcanised like tyres are made?

There are various 'liquid gaskets' products that might be worth a look

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2019 21:52, Fredxx wrote:
I'm very aware 2-part RTV silicone rubber exists at various moduli,
but need something that is more oil resistant and can be moulded into
a gasket of sorts.

Any ideas?

Frankly no. I think nitrile needs fairly sophisticated kit to make -
isn't it moulded and vulcanised like tyres are made?

There are various 'liquid gaskets' products that might be worth a look

Thanks, I was rapidly coming to that conclusion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 21:52:36 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

I'm very aware 2-part RTV silicone rubber exists at various moduli, but
need something that is more oil resistant and can be moulded into a
gasket of sorts.

Any ideas?

No idea on the 2-part, but I found that ordinary rubber washers don't like
oil and petrol (why oh why are petrol 'cans' supplied without a washer twixt
spout and can?). I got some Viton sheet from ebay and that's been OK.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2019 07:25, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 21:52:36 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

I'm very aware 2-part RTV silicone rubber exists at various moduli, but
need something that is more oil resistant and can be moulded into a
gasket of sorts.

Any ideas?

No idea on the 2-part, but I found that ordinary rubber washers don't like
oil and petrol (why oh why are petrol 'cans' supplied without a washer twixt
spout and can?). I got some Viton sheet from ebay and that's been OK.

Nitrile is normally the default for O rings or any washers exposed to
hydrocarbons (i.e. oil, petrol, diesel, white spirit, etc). Viton is
even more chemical-resistant but at a price.

Cheap petrol cans come with simple moulded spouts that usually seal OK
without a washer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 10:47:30 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 11/06/2019 07:25, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 21:52:36 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

I'm very aware 2-part RTV silicone rubber exists at various moduli, but
need something that is more oil resistant and can be moulded into a
gasket of sorts.

Any ideas?

No idea on the 2-part, but I found that ordinary rubber washers don't like
oil and petrol (why oh why are petrol 'cans' supplied without a washer twixt
spout and can?). I got some Viton sheet from ebay and that's been OK.

Nitrile is normally the default for O rings or any washers exposed to
hydrocarbons (i.e. oil, petrol, diesel, white spirit, etc). Viton is
even more chemical-resistant but at a price.

Cheap petrol cans come with simple moulded spouts that usually seal OK
without a washer.

Next door's had the cheap one and it leaked when pouring. Mine has a proper
'top' for the spout and the fuel ****es out of that! I made a Viton washer
and it's OK now.
Leaking petrol is bad enough when doing a car - for a hot mower, where the
engine and tank are rather close together...!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2019 10:47, newshound wrote:
On 11/06/2019 07:25, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 21:52:36 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

I'm very aware 2-part RTV silicone rubber exists at various moduli, but
need something that is more oil resistant and can be moulded into a
gasket of sorts.

Any ideas?

No idea on the 2-part, but I found that ordinary rubber washers don't
like
oil and petrol (why oh why are petrol 'cans' supplied without a washer
twixt
spout and can?). I got some Viton sheet from ebay and that's been OK.

Nitrile is normally the default for O rings or any washers exposed to
hydrocarbons (i.e. oil, petrol, diesel, white spirit, etc). Viton is
even more chemical-resistant but at a price.

Cheap petrol cans come with simple moulded spouts that usually seal OK
without a washer.

I was hoping to make a gasket from a liquid or gloop and allow to settle
and harden.

I see there are some liquid gaskets of unknown providence but haven't
found any known materials that are resistant to mineral oils and can
flow into a mould.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2019 20:35, Fredxx wrote:
I was hoping to make a gasket from a liquid or gloop and allow to settle
and harden.

I see there are some liquid gaskets of unknown providence

provenance

https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/...ne-Rubber.html

--
€œA leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
€œWe did this ourselves.€

ۥ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/...ne-Rubber.html

Is it petrol resistant?

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2019 19:48, AJH wrote:

https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/...ne-Rubber.html

Is it petrol resistant?

AJH

There seems to be two types of PU rubber.

From:
https://gallaghercorp.com/polyuretha...al-resistance/

In general: Polyester type polyurethane is more resistant to oils,
solvents, and weak acids/bases. And polyether type polyurethane is more
resistant to water exposure.

I would say NT's link is for the latter as it doesn't mention resistance
to oils and fuels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 June 2019 21:51:48 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 11/06/2019 21:13, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

I don't feel that is going to offer a very good seal.

it's not ideal in many respects, but works well enough on engines

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Most of the automotive ones are silicone, and although compatibility
charts show it as incompatible with mineral oil, it works fine when
present as a thin layer in a joint face, because so little surface area
is exposed. Whether you can get these usually somewhat gelatinous
products to flow into a mould very much depends on the shape of the mould.