Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does nitrile 2 part rubber exist

On Tuesday, 11 June 2019 20:35:38 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 11/06/2019 10:47, newshound wrote:
On 11/06/2019 07:25, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 21:52:36 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

I'm very aware 2-part RTV silicone rubber exists at various moduli, but
need something that is more oil resistant and can be moulded into a
gasket of sorts.

Any ideas?

No idea on the 2-part, but I found that ordinary rubber washers don't
like
oil and petrol (why oh why are petrol 'cans' supplied without a washer
twixt
spout and can?). I got some Viton sheet from ebay and that's been OK.

Nitrile is normally the default for O rings or any washers exposed to
hydrocarbons (i.e. oil, petrol, diesel, white spirit, etc). Viton is
even more chemical-resistant but at a price.

Cheap petrol cans come with simple moulded spouts that usually seal OK
without a washer.

I was hoping to make a gasket from a liquid or gloop and allow to settle
and harden.

I see there are some liquid gaskets of unknown providence but haven't
found any known materials that are resistant to mineral oils and can
flow into a mould.

paper pulp?

NT