Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gabions

should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

google will not help you .....tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

google will not help you .....tee hee

Split personality sharing same account?
Ho hee
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

google will not help you .....tee hee

Split personality sharing same account?
Ho hee

what ? ....

....the F are you doing replying to your own posts ? ....

Ho hee ho
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

google will not help you .....tee hee

Split personality sharing same account?
Ho hee

what ? ....

...the F are you doing replying to your own posts ? ....

Ho hee ho

and why not? ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K.. wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

google will not help you .....tee hee

Split personality sharing same account?
Ho hee

Hes a trouble making troll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay Wrote in message:
Jim K.. wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

google will not help you .....tee hee

Split personality sharing same account?
Ho hee

He?s a trouble making troll.

Don't flatter him! :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just the outward faces have whatever your chosen facing stacked neatly, behind the facing the usual material us some form of coarse stone chips shovelled in.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2019 18:52, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

What are you doing with them, retaining an embankment, or containing a
blast from a vehicle bourn IED?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
Jim K.. wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

google will not help you .....tee hee

Split personality sharing same account?
Ho hee

He's a trouble making troll.

I'm sure an expert on everything like you could have given me an answer if
you could have found it on google....tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/06/2019 18:52, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

What are you doing with them, retaining an embankment, or containing a
blast from a vehicle bourn IED?

it was years ago a guy building a house had attempted to build a retaining
wall behind his house using light weight concrete blocks......I wouldn't
accept it and suggested gabions.....so he got the cages and started filling
them with all sorts of rubble and old brickwork in a very random fashion
.....so I called in out pet Engineer and he said that was
acceptable.......just didn't look right to me as every other gabion wall I
had seen had the stone nicely packed ......just asking

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/06/2019 18:52, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

What are you doing with them, retaining an embankment, or containing a
blast from a vehicle bourn IED?

it was years ago a guy building a house had attempted to build a retaining
wall behind his house using light weight concrete blocks......I wouldn't
accept it and suggested gabions.....so he got the cages and started filling
them with all sorts of rubble and old brickwork in a very random fashion
....so I called in out pet Engineer and he said that was
acceptable.......just didn't look right to me as every other gabion wall I
had seen had the stone nicely packed ......just trolling

There fixed it for you
Ho ho
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2019 13:31, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/06/2019 18:52, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

What are you doing with them, retaining an embankment, or containing a
blast from a vehicle bourn IED?

it was years ago a guy building a house had attempted to build a retaining
wall behind his house using light weight concrete blocks......I wouldn't
accept it and suggested gabions.....so he got the cages and started filling
them with all sorts of rubble and old brickwork in a very random fashion
....so I called in out pet Engineer and he said that was
acceptable.......just didn't look right to me as every other gabion wall I
had seen had the stone nicely packed ......just asking

For good appearance, the visible face does need to be neatly packed. A
mate of mine who did it reckons that significantly increases the "build
time". I do quite like the other idea of including earth too, so that
you can end up with a creeper facing.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/06/2019 18:52, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

What are you doing with them, retaining an embankment, or containing a
blast from a vehicle bourn IED?

it was years ago a guy building a house had attempted to build a
retaining
wall behind his house using light weight concrete blocks......I wouldn't
accept it and suggested gabions.....so he got the cages and started
filling
them with all sorts of rubble and old brickwork in a very random fashion
....so I called in out pet Engineer and he said that was
acceptable.......just didn't look right to me as every other gabion wall
had seen had the stone nicely packed ......just asking

There fixed it for you
Ho ho

no need to get abusive just because you couldn't answer the question old man

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2019 18:52, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

Depends where you are putting them. I usually put even stones all around
the edges and fill in the middle with whatever's left over. What's more
important from a strength and stability point of view, is that you put
tie wires from back to front and end to end.

How many of those you need is obviously dependent on the size of the
baskets you are using. I can give you more detailed intructions if you
need them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Farmer Giles" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/06/2019 18:52, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

Depends where you are putting them. I usually put even stones all around
the edges and fill in the middle with whatever's left over. What's more
important from a strength and stability point of view, is that you put tie
wires from back to front and end to end.

How many of those you need is obviously dependent on the size of the
baskets you are using. I can give you more detailed intructions if you
need them.

no that's fine thanks......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 June 2019 18:58:03 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Does anyone know what happens to a gabion retaining wall when the
steel baskets have rusted away? Is it meant to have filled up with
enough earth and vegetation by then that it just stays put, maybe
helped by interlocking stones in the fill?

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 June 2019 19:21:17 UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, 3 June 2019 18:58:03 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Does anyone know what happens to a gabion retaining wall when the
steel baskets have rusted away? Is it meant to have filled up with
enough earth and vegetation by then that it just stays put, maybe
helped by interlocking stones in the fill?

John

Whether it all stays put depends on the stacking arrangement & horizontal loads, plus whether deep rooted vegetation has taken hold.
That's why they're not permitted to be used as part of a house construction.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 3 June 2019 18:58:03 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Does anyone know what happens to a gabion retaining wall when the
steel baskets have rusted away? Is it meant to have filled up with
enough earth and vegetation by then that it just stays put, maybe
helped by interlocking stones in the fill?

it fails...50 years life...timber retaining walls have 100 years life

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2019 06:53, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
wrote in message
On Monday, 3 June 2019 18:58:03 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Does anyone know what happens to a gabion retaining wall when the
steel baskets have rusted away? Is it meant to have filled up with
enough earth and vegetation by then that it just stays put, maybe
helped by interlocking stones in the fill?

it fails...50 years life...timber retaining walls have 100 years life

50 years if you buy your gabions from a good supplier. I have installed
quite a lot over a number of years on my property - mostly on a river bank.

I usually get them from a manufacturer/supplier in Shropshire -
https://www.finemeshmetals.co.uk/ - and they are perfect after a number
of years. However, a while back I needed just a couple of small ones to
finish something off and got them off Ebay. They were rusting within a
couple of years - so beware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 3 June 2019 18:58:03 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ...* wrote:

Does anyone know what happens to a gabion retaining wall when the
steel baskets have rusted away?* Is it meant to have filled up with
enough earth and vegetation by then that it just stays put, maybe
helped by interlocking stones in the fill?

it fails...50 years life...timber retaining walls have 100 years life

50 years if you buy your gabions from a good supplier. I have installed
quite a lot over a number of years on my property - mostly on a river bank.

I usually get them from a manufacturer/supplier in Shropshire -
https://www.finemeshmetals.co.uk/ - and they are perfect after a number
of years. However, a while back I needed just a couple of small ones to
finish something off and got them off Ebay. They were rusting within a
couple of years - so beware.

I wonder what the price and lifetime difference is for stainless-steel?

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

I have no idea, I've only ever used what they call their 'Galfan' finish
- which is supposed to last four times as long as just galvanised. Also,
the 5mm wire type would obviously last longer than the 4mm type which I
have used - but they would be more expensive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

best just using the standard galvanized ones....or plastic coated........

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/06/2019 11:38, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 18:52:02 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

In general I thing gabions are unattractive. But they're functional.

That's Essex women.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris Hogg
writes
wrote:

should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

In general I thing gabions are unattractive. But they're functional.
If I was in the position of filling gabions, I'd include quite a lot
of soil along with the stone, and into the sides I'd plant perennials
that like that situation, i.e. that like growing in walls, like good
drainage and tolerate dry conditions, to mask the stones and wire.

Soil would wash out.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2019 22:21, bert wrote:
In article , Chris Hogg
writes
wrote:

should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

In general I thing gabions are unattractive. But they're functional.
If I was in the position of filling gabions, I'd include quite a lot
of soil along with the stone, and into the sides I'd plant perennials
that like that situation, i.e. that like growing in walls, like good
drainage and tolerate dry conditions, to mask the stones and wire.

Soil would wash out.

No. The roots bind it

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat