Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hob Tape?

Some sort of sticky tape is meant to go on the udnerside of electric hobs to cushion their support & prevent water ingress. What sort of tape is suitable?

FWIW I have some butyl gloop in tape form.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Some sort of sticky tape is meant to go on the udnerside of electric hobs
to cushion their support & prevent water ingress. What sort of tape is suitable?

FWIW I have some butyl gloop in tape form.

NT

I used a reasonably thick bead of silicone sealant to do that task, used
one that resists heat up to 300 degrees Centigrade which was probably
overkill for an induction Hob but had some left over from installation of
the wood burner and flue.
Still seems fine 6 years later.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 2 June 2019 15:47:57 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
On 01/06/2019 18:00, tabbypurr wrote:

Some sort of sticky tape is meant to go on the udnerside of electric hobs to cushion their support & prevent water ingress. What sort of tape is suitable?

FWIW I have some butyl gloop in tape form.

The stuff I have seen on most hobs is more like blue tac than tape.

Sounds like the butyl tape. I reckon that'll do.

Thanks folks.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 1 June 2019 18:00:26 UTC+1, wrote:
Some sort of sticky tape is meant to go on the udnerside of electric
hobs to cushion their support & prevent water ingress.

Is it? I never knew that.

Oh well, a bit of rust never did any harm.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 08:32:53 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Wonder why.

And you HAD to **** also in this thread, eh, you filthy senile psychopath?

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2019 15:30, dennis@home wrote:
On 03/06/2019 10:37, Michael Chare wrote:
On 02/06/2019 17:41, Robin wrote:
On 02/06/2019 16:43, wrote:
On Saturday, 1 June 2019 18:00:26 UTC+1, Â* wrote:
Some sort of sticky tape is meant to go on the udnerside of electric
hobs to cushion their support & prevent water ingress.

Is it? I never knew that.

Oh well, a bit of rust never did any harm.

With some hobs the installation instructions specify that /nothing/
should be used between hob and worktop (unless the worktop is tiled).
But since we're not told what make and model this hob is...

I have installed two Bosch induction hobs at different locations.
Neither has any sticky tape. The first one had a metal surround and I
could push it out my removing the draw underneath.Â* The second one is
just ceramic and has to be leavered out using a thin blade. There is
an oven underneath.

My Bosch induction hob has tape around the edge, it came pre-fitted with
the tape.
There is nothing to stop water going under it without and you aren't
supposed to silicon them in.

That is interesting. I have just tried to push the first one I bought
out from underneath and it does not want to move so maybe it is stuck in
somehow. It failed when it was new and a Mr Bosch had to come and change
the circuit boards so it did come out a few times when it was new. It
has fans and has to have an air slot uner the worktop for cooling. The
newer one did not need a slot. Its instructions just say not to use sealant.

--
Michael Chare