Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mira Electric shower not heating up

Have had one of these

http://tinypic.com/r/dnf4le/9 (10.8Kw)

for the last 10+ years, used daily.

3 years ago or so the water temperature started to play up (would turn
cold suddenly when in use), and at the advice received here I cleaned
the filter on the water inlet, which fixed it, and no problems since.

Yesterday it started to misbehave again: under Medium or Low setting the
water is completely cold. When set to High it almost reaches acceptable
temperature when the dial is on max, but not hot enough. Anything below
that is pretty much cold.
Usual setting for this time of year is around 1, perhaps 2 o'clock.

I tried to clean the (very dirty) filter again, but it had no effect.

Any idea what to try next please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

Any idea what to try next please?

Does that model have a dual element? if so, sounds like half of it may
have failed ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2019 15:24, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 15:04:51 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

Have had one of these

http://tinypic.com/r/dnf4le/9 (10.8Kw)

for the last 10+ years, used daily.

3 years ago or so the water temperature started to play up (would turn
cold suddenly when in use), and at the advice received here I cleaned
the filter on the water inlet, which fixed it, and no problems since.

Yesterday it started to misbehave again: under Medium or Low setting the
water is completely cold. When set to High it almost reaches acceptable
temperature when the dial is on max, but not hot enough. Anything below
that is pretty much cold.
Usual setting for this time of year is around 1, perhaps 2 o'clock.

I tried to clean the (very dirty) filter again, but it had no effect.

Any idea what to try next please?

How many elements in the heater tank does it have? Having three
settings suggests three. It sounds as if at least one, and possibly
two, have failed in some way, either gone O/C or the switches have
failed.

But even when it is set to High the water is only lukewarm when the dial
is set to max... So two elements are completely dead and one "half dead"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://tinypic.com/r/dnf4le/9Â*Â* (10.8Kw)

[...]

is set to max...Â* So two elements are completely dead and one "half dead"?

Also, just noticed that Mira offer a repair service. They are not clear
about pricing (£80 call out charge + parts?).
A new equivalent shower is £220, and as long as the plumbing/wiring
haven't changed (very likely) I am happy to replace it myself.

Is it worth fixing considering its age, or has it reached the end of its
working life and other parts are likely to fail "soon", i.e. a new one
would be a better solution?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It might have two elements - switched in parallel, with one being more
powerful than the other. So it can switch low power element, high power
element, or both to give the three settings.

If you have a multimeter, its easy enough to test. Isolate the power,
and take the cover off. Look for the wires connecting to the small
boiler can. I am guessing there will be probably be 4 - a neutral, an
earth, and two switched lives.

If unsure, post a photo where we can see it.

If you measure the resistance across the element between neutral and the
first switched live, then the second. You may well find your problem
there. If not it could be the switching has (partially) failed. The one
you picture looks like it might have electronic switching - that can
make it harder to test when powered down, but you might be able to swap
the switched lives to the boiler and then reassemble and test to see if
the fault behaviour changes.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No but the flow through will not be enough with one heater to be hot enough,
it incrementally heated I think. Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
Today is Yesterdays Tomorrow.
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends on how disruptive the messing about with a no doubt differently
plumbed unit might be.
On your comments about heating. When the filter is clogged the flow is
reduced and only one element will probably be on anyhow, or the whole thing
would overheat and die. With the greater flow you need more heat and that is
proven by your experience.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

How many elements in the heater tank does it have? Having three
settings suggests three.

some use 1=low, 2=med, 1+2=high
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2019 16:58, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 16:30:39 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

[...]

https://tinyurl.com/y3mnx2sr

Ah, that's handy... In fact they have a nice picture of the boiler:

http://www.showerreplacementparts.co...1563.505_1.jpg

Looks like two switched lives with microswitches. Probably the bits I
would test first unless there was something else looking obviously
knackered.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2019 17:16, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

How many elements in the heater tank does it have? Having three
settings suggests three.

some use 1=low, 2=med, 1+2=high

Found the booklet/installation manual (sad, I know).

Is this diagram of any help in working out what may need replacing?

http://tinypic.com/r/291lv6u/9

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

mine, I believe, is the J95D - the newer model (this one is the J92)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also, just noticed that Mira offer a repair service. They are not clear
about pricing (£80 call out charge + parts?).
A new equivalent shower is £220, and as long as the plumbing/wiring
haven't changed (very likely) I am happy to replace it myself.

Is it worth fixing considering its age, or has it reached the end of its
working life and other parts are likely to fail "soon", i.e. a new one
would be a better solution?

Yes chuck the electric one and fit a power shower off your hot water
tank

Did this yeas ago not and its fine hot proper showers.

Mira event thermostatic IIRC we used..

https://www.mirashowers.co.uk/shower...mira-event-xs-
thermostatic/

around 350 quid but worth it!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbGY50b_re0
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2019 20:18, tony sayer wrote:

Also, just noticed that Mira offer a repair service. They are not clear
about pricing (£80 call out charge + parts?).
A new equivalent shower is £220, and as long as the plumbing/wiring
haven't changed (very likely) I am happy to replace it myself.

Is it worth fixing considering its age, or has it reached the end of its
working life and other parts are likely to fail "soon", i.e. a new one
would be a better solution?

Yes chuck the electric one and fit a power shower off your hot water
tank

No tank - a combi. 3 showers, one (v good) off the combi. Other two
electric.

Did this yeas ago not and its fine hot proper showers.

Mira event thermostatic IIRC we used..

https://www.mirashowers.co.uk/shower...mira-event-xs-
thermostatic/

around 350 quid but worth it!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbGY50b_re0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2019 21:19, JoeJoe wrote:
On 28/05/2019 20:18, tony sayer wrote:

Also, just noticed that Mira offer a repair service. They are not clear
about pricing (£80 call out charge + parts?).
A new equivalent shower is £220, and as long as the plumbing/wiring
haven't changed (very likely) I am happy to replace it myself.

Is it worth fixing considering its age, or has it reached the end of its
working life and other parts are likely to fail "soon", i.e. a new one
would be a better solution?

Yes chuck the electric one and fit a power shower off your hot water
tank

No tank - a combi.Â* 3 showers, one (v good) off the combi. Other two
electric.

If the combi is fairly powerful (= 35kW) then it will run two good
showers at once. A smaller 24kW boiler will do a couple of reasonable[1]
ones at once.

[1] Where "reasonable" is probably double the flow rate you get from an
electric shower - but not quite up to the standard you get from a combi
with a single shower.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

How many elements in the heater tank does it have? Having three
settings suggests three.

some use 1=low, 2=med, 1+2=high

Found the booklet/installation manual (sad, I know).

Is this diagram of any help in working out what may need replacing?

http://tinypic.com/r/291lv6u/9

That looks pretty similar to the online one listed earlier. The three
likely candidates are the heater itself (1563.505) or the stat (416.41)
or the switching unit (1563.510).

Only way to find out is to test them - starting with the heater.

--
Cheers,

John.