Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Darned clever thiese smart phones you know.

We rent a small room in a sheltered accommodation block owned by our
council for the Talking Newspaper. We are told to never let anyone into the
building.
However this bloke rolls up a couple of months ago, Hi, can I check your
room for asbestos.
I say well we have been here for 25 years and only five years ago we had a
council person come in, climb into to the roof space and check we had none.

Mann says, I know nothing about that, I'm from (insert silly company name)
and the council has contracted us to check out all the buildings in this
estate. After a quick call to the counsel, they confirm he is on the level.
So I let him in and what does he do? He points his camera phone at some
points on the ceiling, looks at it for a moment and then says, no, there is
no asbestos in here.

I though shall I ask how he knows what is in the roofspace, but thought
better of it, so there you are this new technology is truly wonderful and
can see through ceilings.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Possibly a friend of a councillor who sold his service to the council.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2019 08:23, Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

Can smartphones perform spectral analysis these days? Maybe it "sees"
asbestos in the same way that a digital camera can "see" IR from a
remote control.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nick Odell
writes
[...]

Perhaps they were just looking for Artex and the camera was back up
evidence for mk1 eyeball:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Perhaps they were just looking for Artex and the camera was back up
evidence for mk1 eyeball:-)

Good point!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 09:05:24 +0100, Nick Odell
wrote:

[...]

Maybe when the house was constructed there were only two likely places
to have asbestos installed, one being in the loft and the other being
in ceiling panels.

It's concievable that one contractor might have overlooked the panels
on the first visit if he were maybe looking for a specific item.

Not sure if the asbestos register contains the information, but it
would be worth a look.

AB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Perhaps they were just looking for Artex and the camera was back up
evidence for mk1 eyeball:-)

Does all Artex contain asbestos?

Isn't Artex just a generic term for a 'patterned' ceiling? Which could
have been done at any time?

--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

could he tell what colour it was?....

--
Report a bad lying Freemason to Mr Baker of UGLE Audi Vide Tace
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2019 14:59, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Nick Odell
writes
On 28/04/2019 08:23, Brian Gaff wrote:
WeÂ* rent a small room in a sheltered accommodation block owned by our
council for the Talking Newspaper. We are told to never let anyone
into the
building.
Â* However this bloke rolls up a couple of months ago, Hi, can I
check your
room for asbestos.
Â* I say well we have been here for 25 years and only five years ago
we had a
council person come in, climb into to the roof space and check we
had none.
Â*Mann says, I know nothing about that, I'm from (insert silly
company name)
and the council has contracted us to check out all the buildings in
this
estate. AfterÂ* a quick call to the counsel, they confirm he is on
the level.
SoÂ* I let him in and what does he do? He points his camera phone at
some
points on the ceiling, looks at it for a moment and then says, no,
there is
no asbestos in here.
Â*Â* I though shall I ask how he knows what is in the roofspace, but
thought
better of it, so there you areÂ* this new technology is truly
wonderful and
can see through ceilings.
Â* Brian

Can smartphones perform spectral analysis these days? Maybe it "sees"
asbestos in the same way that a digital camera can "see" IR from a
remote control.

Perhaps they were just looking for Artex and the camera was back up
evidence for mk1 eyeball:-)

Does all Artex contain asbestos?

used to ....

--
Report a bad lying Freemason to Mr Baker of UGLE Audi Vide Tace
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/04/2019 14:59, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Nick Odell
writes
[...]

No.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/04/2019 09:05, Nick Odell wrote:
[...]

:-)

There is only one way to test for asbestos.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2019 17:21, ARW wrote:

There is only one way to test for asbestos.

Bioassay?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
[...]

White or magnolia.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/04/2019 21:27, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 28/04/2019 17:21, ARW wrote:

There is only one way to test for asbestos.

Bioassay?

Probably not:-)

Ever done an asbestos awareness course?

They are now done on line but when you went to an proper course with a
proper person you could have fun.

Every proper course had the bloke doing the talk mentioning a head
teacher that was killed by an asbestos board that she stuck drawing pins
into.

Every proper course resulted in me asking "How do know that it was the
asbestos from the drawing board that killed her and that it was not some
other asbestos she played with as a child?"

And they all mentioned Steve McQueen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_...ness_and_death

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2019 14:59, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Tim Lamb

Can smartphones perform spectral analysis these days? Maybe it "sees"
asbestos in the same way that a digital camera can "see" IR from a
remote control.

Perhaps they were just looking for Artex and the camera was back up
evidence for mk1 eyeball:-)

Does all Artex contain asbestos?

No. There was a time though when it did.

--
Cheers,

John.