Posted to uk.d-i-y
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_3_] Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_3_] is offline

Default Darned clever thiese smart phones you know.

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 09:05:24 +0100, Nick Odell
wrote:

On 28/04/2019 08:23, Brian Gaff wrote:
We rent a small room in a sheltered accommodation block owned by our
council for the Talking Newspaper. We are told to never let anyone into the
building.
However this bloke rolls up a couple of months ago, Hi, can I check your
room for asbestos.
I say well we have been here for 25 years and only five years ago we had a
council person come in, climb into to the roof space and check we had none.

Mann says, I know nothing about that, I'm from (insert silly company name)
and the council has contracted us to check out all the buildings in this
estate. After a quick call to the counsel, they confirm he is on the level.
So I let him in and what does he do? He points his camera phone at some
points on the ceiling, looks at it for a moment and then says, no, there is
no asbestos in here.

I though shall I ask how he knows what is in the roofspace, but thought
better of it, so there you are this new technology is truly wonderful and
can see through ceilings.
Brian

Can smartphones perform spectral analysis these days? Maybe it "sees"
asbestos in the same way that a digital camera can "see" IR from a
remote control.

Nick

Maybe when the house was constructed there were only two likely places
to have asbestos installed, one being in the loft and the other being
in ceiling panels.

It's concievable that one contractor might have overlooked the panels
on the first visit if he were maybe looking for a specific item.

Not sure if the asbestos register contains the information, but it
would be worth a look.

AB