Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi track saw - Anyone got one?

Having decided that I can improve upon my rather crude circular saw and homemade guide I've started looking at track/plunge saws. By coincidence I received an email from Aldi today which included their offering at £79.99:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-trac...87060236365900

Does anyone have one and can make any comment on it? The online reviews seem generally positive.

It looks to be very similar to the Scheppach PL55 sold at Screwfix for £169.99 so could represent quite a bargain:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach...saw-240v/8781g
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:

Having decided that I can improve upon my rather crude circular saw
and homemade guide I've started looking at track/plunge saws. By
coincidence I received an email from Aldi today which included their
offering at £79.99:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-trac...87060236365900

Does anyone have one and can make any comment on it?

No, I've stuck to my home-made saw-board, or using clamp-on guide bars.
But Peter Millard has quite a few videos on tracksaws, mainly Festool
vs others

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7S6M0i1Mz9pf2uo5SpFSWrQOu0qpjeIs

but one of them is a Cheap vs Cheapest (aldi vs screwfix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZGt_LqR5O8&t=26s

Also Skillbuilder did a series on plunge saws

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvRh7uimDQff2Fu_Ed6MH8Y76Z4j-olWN

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton Wrote in message:
Having decided that I can improve upon my rather crude circular saw and homemade guide I've started looking at track/plunge saws. By coincidence I received an email from Aldi today which included their offering at £79.99:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-trac...87060236365900

Does anyone have one and can make any comment on it? The online reviews seem generally positive.

It looks to be very similar to the Scheppach PL55 sold at Screwfix for £169.99 so could represent quite a bargain:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach...saw-240v/8781g

That's a good spot if it is! :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 April 2019 14:51:13 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

But Peter Millard has quite a few videos on tracksaws, mainly Festool
vs others

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7S6M0i1Mz9pf2uo5SpFSWrQOu0qpjeIs

but one of them is a Cheap vs Cheapest (aldi vs screwfix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZGt_LqR5O8&t=26s

That was a really useful video - thanks. I've decided against the Aldi now for the reasons Peter covers (non-standard rails, no soft-start or brake, poor blade and prone to splintering) and will probably go for the Titan instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2019 14:20, Mathew Newton wrote:
Having decided that I can improve upon my rather crude circular saw and homemade guide I've started looking at track/plunge saws. By coincidence I received an email from Aldi today which included their offering at £79.99:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-trac...87060236365900

Does anyone have one and can make any comment on it? The online reviews seem generally positive.

It looks to be very similar to the Scheppach PL55 sold at Screwfix for £169.99 so could represent quite a bargain:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach...saw-240v/8781g

Much would depend on if you can get additional track for it... the
supplied 1.4m seems a bit limiting.

Rutlands tout a couple of tracksaws, and also do additional track sets:

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+165mm-...de-rail+XT3516

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-...tlands+xt3516a

(never seen or tried one - so no comment on quality etc)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 26/04/2019 14:20, Mathew Newton wrote:
Having decided that I can improve upon my rather crude circular saw and homemade guide I've started looking at track/plunge saws. By coincidence I received an email from Aldi today which included their offering at £79.99:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-trac...87060236365900

Does anyone have one and can make any comment on it? The online reviews seem generally positive.

It looks to be very similar to the Scheppach PL55 sold at Screwfix for £169.99 so could represent quite a bargain:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach...saw-240v/8781g

Much would depend on if you can get additional track for it... the
supplied 1.4m seems a bit limiting.

Another set of tracks (scheppach pl55) on Amazon for e.g. £60....
Or buy two Aldi saw sets :-)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." Wrote in message:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 26/04/2019 14:20, Mathew Newton wrote:
Having decided that I can improve upon my rather crude circular saw and homemade guide I've started looking at track/plunge saws. By coincidence I received an email from Aldi today which included their offering at £79.99:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-trac...87060236365900

Does anyone have one and can make any comment on it? The online reviews seem generally positive.

It looks to be very similar to the Scheppach PL55 sold at Screwfix for £169.99 so could represent quite a bargain:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach...saw-240v/8781g

Much would depend on if you can get additional track for it... the
supplied 1.4m seems a bit limiting.

Another set of tracks (scheppach pl55) on Amazon for e.g. £60....
Or buy two Aldi saw sets :-)

Make that £55 incl delivery on Amazon

Also a vid on modding the scheppach which presumably would also be
relevant to the aldidl badged brother

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lsP-K0ruBCk

--
Jim K