Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Coffee filter cleaning

The tea cup cleaning thread has reminded me to ask...

The plastic reusable filters as are common in coffee makers, what can
safely be used without damaging the fine filter, to clean them please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 20:03:43 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The tea cup cleaning thread has reminded me to ask...
The plastic reusable filters as are common in coffee makers, what can
safely be used without damaging the fine filter, to clean them please?

Shower jet?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The tea cup cleaning thread has reminded me to ask...

The plastic reusable filters as are common in coffee makers, what can safely be used without damaging the fine filter, to clean them please?

I use paper filters for coffee, but I use a plastic reusable filter in my tea pot. Over time this filter gets black, blocked up and crusty. Soaking it in neat bleach cleans it up a treat. I'm still alive after having done this for decades.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Erik the Pink submitted this idea :
I use paper filters for coffee, but I use a plastic reusable filter in my tea
pot. Over time this filter gets black, blocked up and crusty. Soaking it in
neat bleach cleans it up a treat. I'm still alive after having done this for
decades.

I'm not worried that bleach might poison me, rather I wondered if it
might attack the filter material. Its that crusty, just touching the
inside of the filer covers my fingers with thick, very sticky coffee
residue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 22:07:17 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Erik the Pink submitted this idea :

I use paper filters for coffee, but I use a plastic reusable filter in my tea
pot. Over time this filter gets black, blocked up and crusty. Soaking it in
neat bleach cleans it up a treat. I'm still alive after having done this for
decades.

I'm not worried that bleach might poison me, rather I wondered if it
might attack the filter material. Its that crusty, just touching the
inside of the filer covers my fingers with thick, very sticky coffee
residue.

I've never had bleach damage plastic & I've used it lots.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2019 20:03, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The tea cup cleaning thread has reminded me to ask...

The plastic reusable filters as are common in coffee makers, what can
safely be used without damaging the fine filter, to clean them please?

Check the instructions, ours is dishwasher safe.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message ...

The tea cup cleaning thread has reminded me to ask...

The plastic reusable filters as are common in coffee makers, what can
safely be used without damaging the fine filter, to clean them please?

I've been using Urnex Cafiza powder on my coffee makers for about 20 years.
Another brand is Puly Caff. Problem is you only need to soak your filter in
one tsp. dissolved for about 20 mins, so the 900g drum will last a lifetime
:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Urnex-Cafiz.../dp/B005CG8FMM

There are individual sachets available, you could try a local ground coffee
outlet for them or maybe online. 4 sachets at £1 each seems reasonable :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...chets&_sacat=0

Ignore the descaler. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Erik the Pink submitted this idea :
I use paper filters for coffee, but I use a plastic reusable filter in my tea pot. Over time this filter gets black, blocked up and crusty. Soaking it in neat bleach cleans it up a treat. I'm still alive after having done this for decades.

I'm not worried that bleach might poison me, rather I wondered if it might attack the filter material. Its that crusty, just touching the inside of the filer covers my fingers with thick, very sticky coffee residue.

I'm pretty sure the bleach won't hurt the filter. The risk is more that bleach won't work on coffee residues as well as it does on tea. So try it and see.

As an aside, you may also be interested in why I use paper filters. It is suggested that paper filters absorb chemicals which cause serum cholesterol to rise in drinkers of other types of coffee.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2029499

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Bertie Doe wrote :
I've been using Urnex Cafiza powder on my coffee makers for about 20 years.
Another brand is Puly Caff. Problem is you only need to soak your filter in
one tsp. dissolved for about 20 mins, so the 900g drum will last a lifetime

Thanks, I have ordered a 900g drum.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 April 2019 10:08:28 UTC+1, Bertie Doe wrote:
so the 900g drum will last a lifetime

I'm in my fifties with no children.
Do they do a 450g drum?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message ...

After serious thinking Bertie Doe wrote :
I've been using Urnex Cafiza powder on my coffee makers for about 20
years. Another brand is Puly Caff. Problem is you only need to soak your
filter in one tsp. dissolved for about 20 mins, so the 900g drum will
last a lifetime

Thanks, I have ordered a 900g drum.

The instruction on the drum under 'Coffee Brewers' suggest dissolve halt
tspn in 2 litres of warm water and run a brew cycle for 30 mins. I simple
pop my drip filter or my cafetiere filter into a small bowl and let it soak
for 20 mins. Brings them up as good as new.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

On Monday, 22 April 2019 10:08:28 UTC+1, Bertie Doe wrote:
so the 900g drum will last a lifetime

I'm in my fifties with no children.
Do they do a 450g drum?

Just looked on ebay and you're right, there is a smaller drum :-
https://tinyurl.com/y3gb3ep9

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...+566G&_sacat=0

I see your point, 568g divided by 3 would give you nearly 200 cleanings but
cheap compared with the sachets at £1 a pop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bertie Doe laid this down on his screen :
so the 900g drum will last a lifetime

I'm in my fifties with no children.
Do they do a 450g drum?

Just looked on ebay and you're right, there is a smaller drum :-
https://tinyurl.com/y3gb3ep9

Pointless, the larger drum can be had for the same or less.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Coffee filter cleaning - Result!

After serious thinking Harry Bloomfield wrote :
After serious thinking Bertie Doe wrote :
I've been using Urnex Cafiza powder on my coffee makers for about 20 years.
Another brand is Puly Caff. Problem is you only need to soak your filter in
one tsp. dissolved for about 20 mins, so the 900g drum will last a lifetime

Thanks, I have ordered a 900g drum.

The 900g drum arrived yesterday and I tried it yesterday. It made a
reasonable job of cleaning the horrible, sticky gundge from the filter
but still left it stained, though not so nearly as badly stained as
before. It didn't do such a good job of cleaning limescale off, barely
touched it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message ...

After serious thinking Harry Bloomfield wrote :
After serious thinking Bertie Doe wrote :
I've been using Urnex Cafiza powder on my coffee makers for about 20
years. Another brand is Puly Caff. Problem is you only need to soak your
filter in one tsp. dissolved for about 20 mins, so the 900g drum will
last a lifetime

Thanks, I have ordered a 900g drum.

The 900g drum arrived yesterday and I tried it yesterday. It made a
reasonable job of cleaning the horrible, sticky gundge from the filter but
still left it stained, though not so nearly as badly stained as before. It
didn't do such a good job of cleaning limescale off, barely touched it.

That's good news indeed, the stain may be permanent but if the gunge has
gone, I wouldn't bother to soak it again until next time.

If you Wiki the 3 main ingredients of Cafiza you'll see they're alkaline, as
is limescale.