Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flooring options

Looking at flooring options for the lounge through into the kitchen...
To be laid on top of T&G board...

Out front is an unmade road, out back is a garden that gets quite boggy
in wet weather and leads straight into the lounge.
We have a dog, dragging muck in from front/rear at any given time and at
the age where it isn't unheard of for her to have a morning **** (or
worse) a couple of hours before we notice.

(I know the obvious solution, but we are very fond of the dog)

Is Amtico/Karndean likely to be suitable? I was looking at loose-lay
because it looks good and a piece of **** to put down but the more I
look into it the more i'm concerned about marks/scratches/mopability and
the need to immediately clean up any spills. And it's expensive.

So i'm thinking tiles for a permanent solution? Or go the other way and
get a cheap roll of lino.

Any input appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2019 11:31, R D S wrote:
Looking at flooring options for the lounge through into the kitchen...
To be laid on top of T&G board...

Out front is an unmade road, out back is a garden that gets quite boggy
in wet weather and leads straight into the lounge.
We have a dog, dragging muck in from front/rear at any given time and at
the age where it isn't unheard of for her to have a morning **** (or
worse) a couple of hours before we notice.

(I know the obvious solution, but we are very fond of the dog)

Is Amtico/Karndean likely to be suitable? I was looking at loose-lay
because it looks good and a piece of **** to put down but the more I
look into it the more i'm concerned about marks/scratches/mopability and
the need to immediately clean up any spills. And it's expensive.

I have done a couple of bathrooms with fully bonded Karndean... it looks
fairly convincing (far more so than laminate for example), and retains
some grip when wet. I expect if you went for a "natural" or rustic
finish pattern, it would be unlikely to show marks and scratches
particularly - its quite robust. The basic laying of the stuff is fairly
straightforward - its when you start getting into fancy borders, and
scribed in curved joints etc that the pro installers earn their money.

The key to success starts with surface prep. So over a boarded floor,
that usually means a ply substrate screwed down *very* well, then either
filled / feathered, or with a latex cement layer on top. For good water
protection, then a full cover of latex, and a properly applied glue
layer, should keep it well attached.

So i'm thinking tiles for a permanent solution? Or go the other way and
get a cheap roll of lino.

Yup, that's not a bad idea either... not wanting to be too harsh, but a
cheap roll of cushion floor will likely outlast the dog. Then you can be
a bit more fussy with what replaces it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2019 14:42, John Rumm wrote:

not wanting to be too harsh, but a
cheap roll of cushion floor will likely outlast the dog. Then you can be
a bit more fussy with what replaces it.

That's pretty much the conclusion we are drawing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 11:31:05 +0100, R D S wrote:

Is Amtico/Karndean likely to be suitable? I was looking at loose-lay
because it looks good and a piece of **** to put down but the more I
look into it the more i'm concerned about marks/scratches/mopability and
the need to immediately clean up any spills. And it's expensive.

I've come across both and they are as near indestructible as you can
get. You can wash them by chucking some bleach and water down on them
and mopping up but in practice something like a Bissell wash/suction
cleaner is easier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2019 14:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
Cheap roll of Lino unless you are going to get another incontinent dog.
Brian

Or lino tiles, which Nairn used to make ?.

It's no longer cheap though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2019 14:42, John Rumm wrote:

Yup, that's not a bad idea either... not wanting to be too harsh, but a
cheap roll of cushion floor will likely outlast the dog. Then you can be
a bit more fussy with what replaces it.

OK if everyone wears flat soled/heel shoes. Some cushion flooring
doesn't stand up too well to small areaimpact damage, say, by a stiletto
heal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 16:56:18 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 21/04/2019 14:21, Brian Gaff wrote:

Cheap roll of Lino unless you are going to get another incontinent dog.
Brian

Or lino tiles, which Nairn used to make ?.

It's no longer cheap though.

A big no when dog **** gets under them. And they are cheap - even poundland sells them.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2019 11:31, R D S wrote:
So i'm thinking tiles for a permanent solution? Or go the other way and
get a cheap roll of lino.

To tile you MUST take any flex out of the floor. Then lay a thick bed of
flexible cement

Proibably safer to use something like a top quality industrial
lino/vinyl - the sort they use in hositals

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 22:13:29 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 21/04/2019 11:31, R D S wrote:
So i'm thinking tiles for a permanent solution? Or go the other way and
get a cheap roll of lino.

To tile you MUST take any flex out of the floor. Then lay a thick bed of
flexible cement

Proibably safer to use something like a top quality industrial
lino/vinyl - the sort they use in hositals

That is actually sheet rubber.
http://rubberflooringuk.uk/

Virtually indestructible.