Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using a reconditioned IBC as a water tank

Anyone got experience of using these? For example:
https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/water-storage-tanks/1000-litre-reconditioned-ibc-75mm3-valve-combi-pallet

I'm thinking of getting one or two of these for storing rainwater for
the garden. One problem is access - they'd have to be lifted over a
fence. I'm also wondering if the plastic container could be removed and
used on its own, rather than in the metal frame (if I got two, they'd be
used side-by-side, not one stacked on top of the other, which I guess is
what the metal frame is needed for).

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:

I'm thinking of getting one or two of these for storing rainwater for
the garden.

How UV stable are they long-term?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2019 09:14, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone got experience of using these? For example:
https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/water-storage-tanks/1000-litre-reconditioned-ibc-75mm3-valve-combi-pallet

Seems to be a favourite for preppers building their nuclear fallout
shelters.

I'm thinking of getting one or two of these for storing rainwater for
the garden. One problem is access - they'd have to be lifted over a
fence. I'm also wondering if the plastic container could be removed and
used on its own, rather than in the metal frame (if I got two, they'd be
used side-by-side, not one stacked on top of the other, which I guess is
what the metal frame is needed for).

I suspect it is also needed to stop the plastic walls from bulging out
under the pressure of water.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 April 2019 09:15:03 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone got experience of using these? For example:
https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/water-storage-tanks/1000-litre-reconditioned-ibc-75mm3-valve-combi-pallet

I'm thinking of getting one or two of these for storing rainwater for
the garden. One problem is access - they'd have to be lifted over a
fence. I'm also wondering if the plastic container could be removed and
used on its own,

no, the metal is there for a reason, to support the flimsy plastic.

NT

rather than in the metal frame (if I got two, they'd be
used side-by-side, not one stacked on top of the other, which I guess is
what the metal frame is needed for).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone got experience of using these? For example:
https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/water-storage-tanks/1000-litre-reconditioned-ibc-75mm3-valve-combi-pallet

I'm thinking of getting one or two of these for storing rainwater for
the garden. One problem is access - they'd have to be lifted over a
fence. I'm also wondering if the plastic container could be removed and
used on its own, rather than in the metal frame (if I got two, they'd be
used side-by-side, not one stacked on top of the other, which I guess is
what the metal frame is needed for).

I have one on the allotment catching water from the shed.
Two reasonably healthy people can manoeuvre one as they are not really that
heavy,
How high a fence ? 4ft would be more problem, 6ft might require some
thought.

You have to be prepared that as they are transparent you will get green
algae growth on the internal surfaces
which may worry some. You could always wrap one in black plastic sheeting
,I dont think the type of plastic
would retain paint for long though bitumen may stick.

Dont think they will last long without the frame , why do you want to
remove it ? It doesnt weigh much and makes it easy to hold on to.

You seem to have found a reasonable supplier for a reasonable cost, some
are available much cheaper because the tank was used to transport something
like resin for GRP production and will never be really clean
That catches some out who think they got a bargain.

Something to look out for if you intend attaching an adapter to the outlet
for something like a BIB tap is that there are two common threads in use a
coarse one and a finer one.
If you go down that road make sure which thread you are getting, your
supplier appears to mention what type it is but others just supply at
random.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2019 10:20, Marland wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

I have one or very similar, fro several years, it is fine. It was a bit
of of a struggle getting it over a 6ft fence, but ,now it is there it is
fine. Of course I would net expect to be able to stack it without the
frame, though one full of water it would be OK I would think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman Wrote in message:
Anyone got experience of using these? For example:
https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/water-storage-tanks/1000-litre-reconditioned-ibc-75mm3-valve-combi-pallet

I'm thinking of getting one or two of these for storing rainwater for
the garden. One problem is access - they'd have to be lifted over a
fence. I'm also wondering if the plastic container could be removed and
used on its own, rather than in the metal frame (if I got two, they'd be
used side-by-side, not one stacked on top of the other, which I guess is
what the metal frame is needed for).

Get the black one for another tenner, cuts down on mould growth.
Buy a tap to fit from the same supplier.
Leave it in the cage.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2019 09:14, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone got experience of using these? For example:
https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/water-storage-tanks/1000-litre-reconditioned-ibc-75mm3-valve-combi-pallet

I'm thinking of getting one or two of these for storing rainwater for
the garden. One problem is access - they'd have to be lifted over a
fence. I'm also wondering if the plastic container could be removed and
used on its own, rather than in the metal frame (if I got two, they'd be
used side-by-side, not one stacked on top of the other, which I guess is
what the metal frame is needed for).

It's not *that* heavy - 57Kg, or just over a hundredweight in old money.
2 or 3 strong people should be able to lift that over a fence.

As others have said, the cage is almost certainly needed to stop it
bulging when full - not just for stacking.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2019 11:30, Broadback wrote:
On 19/04/2019 10:52, Jim K.. wrote:
Jeff Layman Wrote in message:
Anyone got experience of using these? For example:
https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/water-storage-tanks/1000-litre-reconditioned-ibc-75mm3-valve-combi-pallet

I'm thinking of getting one or two of these for storing rainwater for
the garden. One problem is access - they'd have to be lifted over a
fence. I'm also wondering if the plastic container could be removed and
used on its own, rather than in the metal frame (if I got two, they'd be
used side-by-side, not one stacked on top of the other, which I guess is
what the metal frame is needed for).

Get the black one for another tenner, cuts down on mould growth.
Buy a tap to fit from the same supplier.
Leave it in the cage.

+1

+ another one.

I was given a couple of translucent ones which I use to collect water
off a roof for equines. You can keep the algae down to a reasonable
level using the tablets sold for non-plumbed-in garden swimming pools,
you put one or two in a "float" which doses them for a couple of weeks.
The final breakdown product is salt (and you give horses salt licks
anyway, so there is no toxicity problem in this case).

But the black (and I think blue?) ones are much rarer and presumably
fetch a premium.

I have actually cut a large removable panel in the top of mine for
cleaning (in dry spells they get filled from a spring which caries a lot
of silt) and removed some of the upper cage structure so that the
container can just be lifted out. Then I tip it on its side and clean it
with a pressure washer (but much less frequently since using the
sterilising tablets).

You definitely need to keep the frame, if it's ever going to be a
quarter full.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2019 10:52, Jim K.. wrote:

Get the black one for another tenner, cuts down on mould growth.
Buy a tap to fit from the same supplier.
Leave it in the cage.

+1

+ another one.

I was given a couple of translucent ones which I use to collect water
off a roof for equines. You can keep the algae down to a reasonable
level using the tablets sold for non-plumbed-in garden swimming pools,
you put one or two in a "float" which doses them for a couple of weeks.
The final breakdown product is salt (and you give horses salt licks
anyway, so there is no toxicity problem in this case).

But the black (and I think blue?) ones are much rarer and presumably
fetch a premium.

Can they be painted with gloss topcoat?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 April 2019 09:15:03 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone got experience of using these? For example:
https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/water-storage-tanks/1000-litre-reconditioned-ibc-75mm3-valve-combi-pallet

I'm thinking of getting one or two of these for storing rainwater for
the garden. One problem is access - they'd have to be lifted over a
fence. I'm also wondering if the plastic container could be removed and
used on its own, rather than in the metal frame (if I got two, they'd be
used side-by-side, not one stacked on top of the other, which I guess is
what the metal frame is needed for).

--

Jeff

The frame is vital, the tank is thin and with flat walls.
(Square tanks take up less room than cylinders)

The frame will rust outdoors
Better to get a cylindrical one. No frame needed.
Probably cheaper too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry Wrote in message:
On Friday, 19 April 2019 09:15:03 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone got experience of using these? For example:
https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/water-storage-tanks/1000-litre-reconditioned-ibc-75mm3-valve-combi-pallet

I'm thinking of getting one or two of these for storing rainwater for
the garden. One problem is access - they'd have to be lifted over a
fence. I'm also wondering if the plastic container could be removed and
used on its own, rather than in the metal frame (if I got two, they'd be
used side-by-side, not one stacked on top of the other, which I guess is
what the metal frame is needed for).

--

Jeff

The frame is vital, the tank is thin and with flat walls.
(Square tanks take up less room than cylinders)

The frame will rust outdoors

Measured in decades before "failure" and some are galvanised.

Better to get a cylindrical one. No frame needed.
Probably cheaper too.

Show us then ?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 05:03:14 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Nope.

Trying to get one of your miserable tiny online orgasms, senile Ozzietard?

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K..
writes

https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/w...1000-litre-rec
onditioned-ibc-75mm3-valve-combi-pallet

I'm thinking of getting one or two of these for storing rainwater for
the garden. One problem is access - they'd have to be lifted over a
fence. I'm also wondering if the plastic container could be removed and
used on its own, rather than in the metal frame (if I got two, they'd be
used side-by-side, not one stacked on top of the other, which I guess is
what the metal frame is needed for).

--

Jeff

The frame is vital, the tank is thin and with flat walls.
(Square tanks take up less room than cylinders)

The frame will rust outdoors

Measured in decades before "failure" and some are galvanised.

Better to get a cylindrical one. No frame needed.
Probably cheaper too.

Show us then ?

IBC containers of my experience had wooden supporting pallets built into
the frame. Convenience for handling as they are intended for multi-trip
use. These rot readily on contact with garden soil. Current construction
may have moved to plastic.

Large cylindrical plastic barrels used for shipping Orange juice etc.
may be available.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K..
writes
harry Wrote in message:
[...]

Looking at the link the op posted would indicate rot will not be
an issue.

Large cylindrical plastic barrels used for shipping Orange juice etc.
may be available.

I have one. 6ft tall. Pain to transport; no tap; need a base to
stand on, not sure re UV exposure long term.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/19 09:14, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone got experience of using these? For example:
https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/water-storage-tanks/1000-litre-reconditioned-ibc-75mm3-valve-combi-pallet

I'm thinking of getting one or two of these for storing rainwater for
the garden. One problem is access - they'd have to be lifted over a
fence. I'm also wondering if the plastic container could be removed and
used on its own, rather than in the metal frame (if I got two, they'd be
used side-by-side, not one stacked on top of the other, which I guess is
what the metal frame is needed for).

Thanks for all the comments. Much food for thought.

It's also worth reading the delivery "small print". For example, the
delivery info for the IBC in my OP states "This IBC is available on 2-3
working day pallet delivery service. This is a kerbside delivery using a
tail lift vehicle and pallet truck, therefore no unloading equipment is
required at the delivery address".

But if you look at another type of container such as this:

https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/agricultural-tanks/vertical-agricultural-water-tanks/enduramaxx-1500-litre-vertical-non-potable-water-tank
the delivery is free (or is it included in an inflated price?!), but it
adds "It is the customers responsibility to safely unload the tank from
the delivery vehicle. Unless agreed prior to delivery, the standard
delivery vehicles do not have the facilities to unload your tank". Now
that tank isn't particularly heavy at 35Kg, but I'll bet it is awkward
to handle as it is smooth and round. And if it comes a metre off the
ground on the back of a delivery lorry, would need two or three people
to handle it and get it down to the ground. It is also MDPE, so is not
as resilient as HDPE.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

IBC containers of my experience had wooden supporting pallets built into
the frame. Convenience for handling as they are intended for multi-trip
use. These rot readily on contact with garden soil. Current construction
may have moved to plastic.

Ours has the base made from galvanised metal as part of the frame .

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marland" wrote in message ...

Tim Lamb wrote:

IBC containers of my experience had wooden supporting pallets built into
the frame. Convenience for handling as they are intended for multi-trip
use. These rot readily on contact with garden soil. Current construction
may have moved to plastic.

Ours has the base made from galvanised metal as part of the frame .

GH

Beware of UV degradation. Mine went all crumbly on me after about three
years

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" Wrote in
message:
"Marland" wrote in message ...

Tim Lamb wrote:

IBC containers of my experience had wooden supporting pallets built into
the frame. Convenience for handling as they are intended for multi-trip
use. These rot readily on contact with garden soil. Current construction
may have moved to plastic.

Ours has the base made from galvanised metal as part of the frame .

GH

Beware of UV degradation. Mine went all crumbly on me after about three
years

Andrew

The plastic presumably?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

snipped
IBC containers of my experience had wooden supporting pallets built into
the frame. Convenience for handling as they are intended for multi-trip
use. These rot readily on contact with garden soil. Current construction
may have moved to plastic.

Large cylindrical plastic barrels used for shipping Orange juice etc.
may be available.

Are you near to any Dairy Farms? At this time of the year, silage
making time, Dairy Farmers use silage acids to aid fermentation in the
silage crop. This acid comes in large 60 gallon plastic barrells that
are ideal for storage of water once washed out.
I used to have three of them.
Wash them out, fit them with taps and away you go. Usually free as
farmers are pleased to get rid of them.
Petefj

IBC water tanks? T i m UK diy 41 September 4th 17 12:25 AM
Info on ibc plastic IBC tanks Broadback[_3_] UK diy 4 August 1st 13 09:23 PM
2006 IBC on cdrom ? Steve Barker[_6_] Home Repair 2 September 28th 11 02:33 AM
water cooler, water coolers, water dispenser, water dispensers,bottleless water cooler,bottleless water coolers,bottleless water dispenser,bottleless water dispensers water coolers UK diy 3 January 5th 06 08:23 PM
Home water tank water tank pressure not right, do I need a new tank? Gary Slusser Home Repair 2 August 11th 03 04:45 AM