Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using a reconditioned IBC as a water tank

On 19/04/19 09:14, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone got experience of using these? For example:
https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/water-storage-tanks/1000-litre-reconditioned-ibc-75mm3-valve-combi-pallet

I'm thinking of getting one or two of these for storing rainwater for
the garden. One problem is access - they'd have to be lifted over a
fence. I'm also wondering if the plastic container could be removed and
used on its own, rather than in the metal frame (if I got two, they'd be
used side-by-side, not one stacked on top of the other, which I guess is
what the metal frame is needed for).

Thanks for all the comments. Much food for thought.

It's also worth reading the delivery "small print". For example, the
delivery info for the IBC in my OP states "This IBC is available on 2-3
working day pallet delivery service. This is a kerbside delivery using a
tail lift vehicle and pallet truck, therefore no unloading equipment is
required at the delivery address".

But if you look at another type of container such as this:

https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/agricultural-tanks/vertical-agricultural-water-tanks/enduramaxx-1500-litre-vertical-non-potable-water-tank
the delivery is free (or is it included in an inflated price?!), but it
adds "It is the customers responsibility to safely unload the tank from
the delivery vehicle. Unless agreed prior to delivery, the standard
delivery vehicles do not have the facilities to unload your tank". Now
that tank isn't particularly heavy at 35Kg, but I'll bet it is awkward
to handle as it is smooth and round. And if it comes a metre off the
ground on the back of a delivery lorry, would need two or three people
to handle it and get it down to the ground. It is also MDPE, so is not
as resilient as HDPE.

--

Jeff