Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default pendrive knackererd?

I pulled a pendrive out of our Humax Freesat box, rolled my eyes as
usual at the remove safely error popup.

Plugged it into laptop (Ubuntu) though, heard the usual noise as if it
had been recognised but it isn't visible in files.

Gparted doesn't seem to see it.

Smartmon says "Read device identity failed".

Is it knackered?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
I pulled a pendrive out of our Humax Freesat box, rolled my eyes as usual
at the remove safely error popup.

Plugged it into laptop (Ubuntu) though, heard the usual noise as if it had
been recognised but it isn't visible in files.

Gparted doesn't seem to see it.

Smartmon says "Read device identity failed".

Is it knackered?

Likely. I torrent a lot of movies for people I know
and have recently seen 3 USB sticks die. They are
still visible on the PC I write the movies from but
fail when writing movies to the stick. I did ask
the young kid who is pretty cluey technically
if he was safely removing the sticks and he
said he was but the others in the house are
much more likely to not do that.

Decent brand, Toshiba mostly and bought locally
from major retailers so unlikely to be fakes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2019 20:19, R D S wrote:
I pulled a pendrive out of our Humax Freesat box, rolled my eyes as
usual at the remove safely error popup.

Plugged it into laptop (Ubuntu) though, heard the usual noise as if it
had been recognised but it isn't visible in files.

Gparted doesn't seem to see it.

Smartmon says "Read device identity failed".

Is it knackered?

Could be, but more likely just corrupted. You can find low-level format
tools that may make it useable again. I used one a few years ago after a
stick became unuseable following using it for loading a bootloader and
firmware onto a satellite box.

The software that wrote the bootloader installation program to the stick
presumably used some dedicated and non-standard low level writes and
afterwards it could not have partitions adjusted or existing ones (high
level) formatted under Windows.

Unfortunately I can't remember which tool I used.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 06:17:27 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

"R D S" wrote in message
I pulled a pendrive out of our Humax Freesat box, rolled my eyes as usual
at the remove safely error popup.

Plugged it into laptop (Ubuntu) though, heard the usual noise as if it had
been recognised but it isn't visible in files.

Gparted doesn't seem to see it.

Smartmon says "Read device identity failed".

Is it knackered?

Likely.

IOW, you don't know! But you HAVE to open your stupid senile gob anyway, you
forsaken anti-social senile pest!

I torrent a lot of movies for people I know
and have recently seen 3 USB sticks die.

LOL!!! Who are you trying to convince of that you senile pest? YOURSELF?
NOBODY, neither online nor in real life, wants anything to do with you. It's
the VERY reason why get up, EVERY day, between 1 and 4 am in Australia just
so you have SOMEONE to talk to and pester on Usenet, where people can't get
away from you as easily as they do in real life!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try the formatter from www.sdcard.org

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
Plugged it into laptop (Ubuntu) though, heard the usual noise as if it
had been recognised but it isn't visible in files.

Gparted doesn't seem to see it.

Smartmon says "Read device identity failed".

I think the last is that it doesn't respond to SMART commands, which most
pen drives don't anyway. However gparted not seeing it isn't encouraging.

Open a terminal, then plug it in. Immediately afterwards, type 'dmesg' and
press enter. Then post the last 20 or so lines here. This is the
kernel's log when it tries to talk to it, which should tell us what's going
on.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 20:19:21 +0100
R D S wrote:

I pulled a pendrive out of our Humax Freesat box, rolled my eyes as
usual at the remove safely error popup.

Plugged it into laptop (Ubuntu) though, heard the usual noise as if
it had been recognised but it isn't visible in files.

Gparted doesn't seem to see it.

Smartmon says "Read device identity failed".

Is it knackered?

Does it appear when you run lsusb ? That will show if the controller
is working, regardless of whatever file system may be present/readable.