Posted to uk.d-i-y
Reentrant[_11_] Reentrant[_11_] is offline

Default pendrive knackererd?

On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 22:39:27 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:
On 07/04/2019 20:19, R D S wrote:
I pulled a pendrive out of our Humax Freesat box, rolled my eyes

as
usual at the remove safely error popup.

Plugged it into laptop (Ubuntu) though, heard the usual noise as

if it
had been recognised but it isn't visible in files.

Gparted doesn't seem to see it.

Smartmon says "Read device identity failed".

Is it knackered?

Could be, but more likely just corrupted. You can find low-level

format
tools that may make it useable again. I used one a few years ago

after a
stick became unuseable following using it for loading a bootloader

and
firmware onto a satellite box.

The software that wrote the bootloader installation program to the

stick
presumably used some dedicated and non-standard low level writes

and
afterwards it could not have partitions adjusted or existing ones

(high
level) formatted under Windows.

Unfortunately I can't remember which tool I used.

SteveW

Try the formatter from www.sdcard.org

--
Reentrant