Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boarded wall, skim or just lining paper?

I've just boarded a wall with straight edge board, it is a pretty tidy
job, all the joins look OK.

Original plan was to have it skimmed but i'm thinking of merely lining
paper it. Laregely because I can't be arsed with a plasterer in and the
expense.

I can't foresee any bother, any gotchas I might not have considered?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 April 2019 20:08:33 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
I've just boarded a wall with straight edge board, it is a pretty tidy
job, all the joins look OK.

Original plan was to have it skimmed but i'm thinking of merely lining
paper it. Laregely because I can't be arsed with a plasterer in and the
expense.

I can't foresee any bother, any gotchas I might not have considered?

Once you've filled the joints flush, adding lining paper doesn't achieve anything. More useful for knackered surfaces.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2019 20:08, R D S wrote:
I've just boarded a wall with straight edge board, it is a pretty tidy
job, all the joins look OK.

Original plan was to have it skimmed but i'm thinking of merely lining
paper it. Laregely because I can't be arsed with a plasterer in and the
expense.

I can't foresee any bother, any gotchas I might not have considered?

You might just want to use some dry lining jointing tape and
paste/compound. (Even) I managed to redo a damaged lath/plaster
partition wall that way, then painted.

Although in my case I'd have made a complete hash of papering, so
anything would be an improvement :-)

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2019 20:08, R D S wrote:
I've just boarded a wall with straight edge board, it is a pretty tidy
job, all the joins look OK.

Original plan was to have it skimmed but i'm thinking of merely lining
paper it. Laregely because I can't be arsed with a plasterer in and the
expense.

I can't foresee any bother, any gotchas I might not have considered?

Am I right in thinking that skimming might provide a bit of extra fire
resistance (e.g. for a garage or workshop)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 8 April 2019 11:26:26 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 07/04/2019 20:08, R D S wrote:
I've just boarded a wall with straight edge board, it is a pretty tidy
job, all the joins look OK.

Original plan was to have it skimmed but i'm thinking of merely lining
paper it. Laregely because I can't be arsed with a plasterer in and the
expense.

I can't foresee any bother, any gotchas I might not have considered?

Am I right in thinking that skimming might provide a bit of extra fire
resistance (e.g. for a garage or workshop)?

a trivial amount. It's only a thin skim.

NT