Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom smells like fish. Found the source.

After months of investigation and research, and some money spent; finally I
found this forum and can close my case. Just wanted to share the results.
So, the fish smell in my bathroom was an electrical outlet burnt out, provoked
by an air wick burner.
Replaced with an GFCI receptacle and smell gone.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hs
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ht
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hu

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rikchina m
Wrote in message:
After months of investigation and research, and some money spent; finally I
found this forum and can close my case. Just wanted to share the results.
So, the fish smell in my bathroom was an electrical outlet burnt out, provoked
by an air wick burner.
Replaced with an GFCI receptacle and smell gone.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hs
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ht
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hu

Ironic you didnt share the problem earlier, I could have told you
that months ago...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 April 2019 21:52:14 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Rikchina m
Wrote in message:
After months of investigation and research, and some money spent; finally I
found this forum and can close my case. Just wanted to share the results.
So, the fish smell in my bathroom was an electrical outlet burnt out, provoked
by an air wick burner.
Replaced with an GFCI receptacle and smell gone.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hs
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ht
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hu

Ironic you didnt share the problem earlier, I could have told you
that months ago...
--
Jim K

Ah yes, that 'off fish' smell. What I always wdonered is: do they modify the plastic to make it smell like that, so you detect faults before they cause a fire?

RObert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
After months of investigation and research, and some money spent; finally I
found this forum and can close my case. Just wanted to share the results.
So, the fish smell in my bathroom was an electrical outlet burnt out, provoked
by an air wick burner.
Replaced with an GFCI receptacle and smell gone.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hs
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ht
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hu

Ironic you didnt share the problem earlier, I could have told you
that months ago...
--
Jim K

Ah yes, that 'off fish' smell. What I always wdonered is: do they modify the plastic to make it smell like that, so you detect faults before they cause a fire?

No. They are (or certainly were) moulded from Urea Formaldehyde, as it
is an easily moulded, hard, durable, stable, heat resistant material.
That just happens to be the characteristic smell of it when overheated.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2019 22:10, wrote:
On Saturday, 6 April 2019 21:52:14 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Rikchina m Wrote
in message:
After months of investigation and research, and some money spent;
finally I found this forum and can close my case. Just wanted to
share the results. So, the fish smell in my bathroom was an
electrical outlet burnt out, provoked by an air wick burner.
Replaced with an GFCI receptacle and smell gone.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hs
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ht
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hu

Ironic you didnt share the problem earlier, I could have told you
that months ago... -- Jim K

Ah yes, that 'off fish' smell. What I always wdonered is: do they
modify the plastic to make it smell like that, so you detect faults
before they cause a fire?

Its because electrical accessories are often made from a
Urea-Formaldehyde thermosetting resin... Designed not to melt or soften
when they get hot, also have a high dielectric strength so very
resistant to electrical breakdown:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea-formaldehyde

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
After months of investigation and research, and some money spent; finally I
found this forum and can close my case. Just wanted to share the results.
So, the fish smell in my bathroom was an electrical outlet burnt out, provoked
by an air wick burner.
Replaced with an GFCI receptacle and smell gone.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hs
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ht
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hu

Ironic you didnt share the problem earlier, I could have told you
that months ago...
--
Jim K

Ah yes, that 'off fish' smell. What I always wdonered is: do they modify the plastic to make it smell like that, so you detect faults before they cause a fire?

IIRC there are not so many thermoset plastics. And safety dictates that
they are used.

The Awful Smell of hot phenolic resins that have been used extensively
on electrical circuits are well known...

RObert

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wot you doin' with a socket in the bathroom ??? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dozy Jim ... wrote:

wot you doin' with a socket in the bathroom ??? .....

Common in many countries. The OP clearly isnt in the UK judging by the
sockets.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Dozy Jim ... wrote:

wot you doin' with a socket in the bathroom ??? .....

Common in many countries. The OP clearly isn't in the UK judging by the
sockets.

Tim

sorry I thought this was a UK group .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dozy Jim ..." wrote in message

"Tim+" wrote in message
Dozy Jim ... wrote:

wot you doin' with a socket in the bathroom ??? .....

Common in many countries. The OP clearly isn't in the UK judging by the
sockets.

Tim

sorry I thought this was a UK group .....

but then again they should rename it an English group ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah yes, those carbonised plastics do smell bad. I often wonder if it s
deliberate. I'm surprised an air freshener did that though, without tripping
something first. Kind of worries me about your set up.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Rikchina" m wrote in
message ...
After months of investigation and research, and some money spent; finally
found this forum and can close my case. Just wanted to share the results.
So, the fish smell in my bathroom was an electrical outlet burnt out,
provoked
by an air wick burner.
Replaced with an GFCI receptacle and smell gone.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hs
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ht
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hu

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/04/2019 21:52, Jim K.. wrote:
Rikchina m
Wrote in message:
After months of investigation and research, and some money spent; finally I
found this forum and can close my case. Just wanted to share the results.
So, the fish smell in my bathroom was an electrical outlet burnt out, provoked
by an air wick burner.
Replaced with an GFCI receptacle and smell gone.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hs
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ht
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hu

Ironic you didnt share the problem earlier, I could have told you
that months ago...

Going by the burn marks on that one it must have smelt like Nellie the
Elephant's fanny.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Apr 2019 07:16:46 +0100, Dozy Jim ... wrote:

wot you doin' with a socket in the bathroom ??? .....

Zone 3?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/04/2019 09:17, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 07 Apr 2019 07:16:46 +0100, Dozy Jim ... wrote:

wot you doin' with a socket in the bathroom ??? .....

Zone 3?

That's not existed for a long time.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2019 07:29, Tim+ wrote:
Dozy Jim ... wrote:

wot you doin' with a socket in the bathroom ??? .....

Common in many countries. The OP clearly isnt in the UK judging by the
sockets.

Tim

I assumed those were electric sockets for shavers ..common in UK bathrooms

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Apr 2019 09:37:25 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 07/04/2019 09:17, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 07 Apr 2019 07:16:46 +0100, Dozy Jim ... wrote:

wot you doin' with a socket in the bathroom ??? .....

Zone 3?

That's not existed for a long time.

You can tell I've not done any wiring for a while. No non-isolated
sockets at all then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 06/04/2019 21:52, Jim K.. wrote:
Rikchina m
Wrote in message:
After months of investigation and research, and some money spent;
finally I
found this forum and can close my case. Just wanted to share the
results.
So, the fish smell in my bathroom was an electrical outlet burnt out,
provoked
by an air wick burner.
Replaced with an GFCI receptacle and smell gone.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hs
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ht
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hu

Ironic you didnt share the problem earlier, I could have told you
that months ago...

Going by the burn marks on that one it must have smelt like Nellie the
Elephant's fanny.

Cant say I have actually smelt too many Nellie the Elephant's fannys.

But them I'm not actually into ****ing elephants, unlike you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/04/2019 10:34, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 07 Apr 2019 09:37:25 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 07/04/2019 09:17, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 07 Apr 2019 07:16:46 +0100, Dozy Jim ... wrote:

wot you doin' with a socket in the bathroom ??? .....

Zone 3?

That's not existed for a long time.

You can tell I've not done any wiring for a while. No non-isolated
sockets at all then?

16th edition?

You can now have a 13A socket if it is more than 3m from zone 1. Shaver
sockets can go in zone 2.

The bit that makes me smile is if you google for bathroom zones many
sites have a zone 2 around the sink. No such zone exists or has ever
existed.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2019 07:29, Tim+ wrote:
Dozy Jim ... wrote:

wot you doin' with a socket in the bathroom ??? .....

Common in many countries. The OP clearly isnt in the UK judging by the
sockets.

Tim

I assumed those were electric sockets for shavers ..common in UK bathrooms

not looking like that though

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 19:41:25 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Going by the burn marks on that one it must have smelt like Nellie the
Elephant's fanny.

Cant say I have actually smelt too many Nellie the Elephant's fannys.

But them I'm not actually into ****ing elephants, unlike you.

You are into spreading your senile **** on newsgroups, you filthy obnoxious
senile pest!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, April 7, 2019 at 9:59:15 AM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 07/04/2019 07:29, Tim+ wrote:
Dozy Jim ... wrote:

wot you doin' with a socket in the bathroom ??? .....

Common in many countries. The OP clearly isnt in the UK judging by the
sockets.

Tim

I assumed those were electric sockets for shavers ..common in UK bathrooms

With a socket for an earth pin? I don't think so...

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/04/2019 11:23, Peeler wrote:
On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 19:41:25 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Going by the burn marks on that one it must have smelt like Nellie the
Elephant's fanny.

Cant say I have actually smelt too many Nellie the Elephant's fannys.

But them I'm not actually into ****ing elephants, unlike you.

You are into spreading your senile **** on newsgroups, you filthy obnoxious
senile pest!

TBH the elephants ears give you something to hold onto if it gets a bit
frisky;-)

--
Adam