Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS Hammer Drill how hard to push?

SDS Hammer Drill:
how hard to push?
I'm breaking up concrete,
push very hard, quite hard, or not at all?

[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2019 20:04, George Miles wrote:
SDS Hammer Drill:
how hard to push?
I'm breaking up concrete,
push very hard, quite hard, or not at all?

[george]

Drill, or chisel?

If it is a heavy device then as far as possible use the weight of the
device. If it's just a small one then you may have to push quite hard to
get anywhere.

There is quite a "knack" to breaking concrete efficiently. Try to start
from an edge, if you can't then try to make an initial crack in the
middle (e.g. with a sledge hammer). Assuming it is something like a path
laid on earth, get a crowbar under it and try to lift it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, March 30, 2019 at 8:14:22 PM UTC, newshound wrote:
On 30/03/2019 20:04, George Miles wrote:
SDS Hammer Drill:
how hard to push?
I'm breaking up concrete,
push very hard, quite hard, or not at all?

[george]

Drill, or chisel?

If it is a heavy device then as far as possible use the weight of the
device. If it's just a small one then you may have to push quite hard to
get anywhere.

There is quite a "knack" to breaking concrete efficiently. Try to start
from an edge, if you can't then try to make an initial crack in the
middle (e.g. with a sledge hammer). Assuming it is something like a path
laid on earth, get a crowbar under it and try to lift it.

ten inches of concrete over a sewer pipe
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2019 20:04, George Miles wrote:
SDS Hammer Drill:
how hard to push?
I'm breaking up concrete,
push very hard, quite hard, or not at all?

For drilling, usually only hard enough that you can feel the bit/chisel
"floating" on the air cushion. For chisel for, a bit harder, but not much.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles Wrote in message:
SDS Hammer Drill:
how hard to push?
I'm breaking up concrete,
push very hard, quite hard, or not at all?

[george]

Whatever works quickest ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 30/03/2019 20:52, Jim K.. wrote:
George Miles Wrote in message:
SDS Hammer Drill:
how hard to push?
I'm breaking up concrete,
push very hard, quite hard, or not at all?

[george]

Whatever works quickest ;-)

That's hard and fast.

There is no need to be sensitive.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles explained on 30/03/2019 :
SDS Hammer Drill:
how hard to push?
I'm breaking up concrete,

Let the weight of the machine do the work - You should not need to
push, you just need to steady it and let it bounce. If it stops
bouncing, or the bounce seems restricted - you are pushing too hard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you start going up and down on the end of the drill you might not be
pressing hard enough?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"George Miles" wrote in message
SDS Hammer Drill:
how hard to push?
I'm breaking up concrete,
push very hard, quite hard, or not at all?

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/03/2019 20:27, George Miles wrote:

ten inches of concrete over a sewer pipe

That's quite a lot thicker than I've ever had to break up. What sort of
SDS drill do you have? How many joules? Is it a breaker, or just a
standard drill?

As far as the drill bit is concerned, you may find it easier to use a
spike than a chisel, and just crack chunks off the edge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

George Miles wrote:

ten inches of concrete over a sewer pipe

That's quite a lot thicker than I've ever had to break up.

Order a couple of spare lengths of salt-glazed pipe now ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2019 20:14, newshound wrote:
There is quite a "knack" to breaking concrete efficiently. Try to start
from an edge,

If it just domestic stuff, no more than 4-5 inches thick, then
use a spade to undermine the edge about a foot or so in, then
just give it a whack with a decent sledge hammer. It should
just crack and create a calve just like an iceberg.

then just undermine a bit further and repeat.

Unless you have a heavy duty SDS machine intended for
concrete breaking you'll be at it for ages.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2019 12:22, GB wrote:
On 30/03/2019 20:27, George Miles wrote:

ten inches of concrete over a sewer pipe

That's quite a lot thicker than I've ever had to break up. What sort of
SDS drill do you have? How many joules? Is it a breaker, or just a
standard drill?

As far as the drill bit is concerned, you may find it easier to use a
spike than a chisel, and just crack chunks off the edge.

In that case hire a 9 or 12 inch angle grinder and try and chop
lumps out of it. The sledge hammer technique that I mentioned
lower down is probably not a good idea :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2019 12:24, Andy Burns wrote:
GB wrote:

George Miles wrote:

ten inches of concrete over a sewer pipe

That's quite a lot thicker than I've ever had to break up.

Order a couple of spare lengths of salt-glazed pipe now ;-)

And get the correct diameter and matching plastic connectors.

There used to be two companies, Naylor and Denley ?, whose
products were not quite compatible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2019 20:27, George Miles wrote:
On Saturday, March 30, 2019 at 8:14:22 PM UTC, newshound wrote:
On 30/03/2019 20:04, George Miles wrote:
SDS Hammer Drill:
how hard to push?
I'm breaking up concrete,
push very hard, quite hard, or not at all?

[george]

Drill, or chisel?

If it is a heavy device then as far as possible use the weight of the
device. If it's just a small one then you may have to push quite hard to
get anywhere.

There is quite a "knack" to breaking concrete efficiently. Try to start
from an edge, if you can't then try to make an initial crack in the
middle (e.g. with a sledge hammer). Assuming it is something like a path
laid on earth, get a crowbar under it and try to lift it.

ten inches of concrete over a sewer pipe

If we are talking a 2kg class machine with 2-3J of impact energy, then
you are in for a very *long* job. It was a similar job some years ago
that prompted me to buy a 15kg machine with 45J of impact energy!

Cutting slots with a diamond disk in a large grinder, may may it a bit
quicker to attack, since you then only need the SDS to break out the
waste bit between the slots.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 31/03/2019 13:51, Andrew wrote:
On 31/03/2019 12:22, GB wrote:
On 30/03/2019 20:27, George Miles wrote:

ten inches of concrete over a sewer pipe

That's quite a lot thicker than I've ever had to break up. What sort
of SDS drill do you have? How many joules? Is it a breaker, or just a
standard drill?

As far as the drill bit is concerned, you may find it easier to use a
spike than a chisel, and just crack chunks off the edge.

In that case hire a 9 or 12 inch angle grinder and try and chop
lumps out of it. The sledge hammer technique that I mentioned
lower down is probably not a good idea :-(

For 10" concrete, you are going to need a much bigger angle grinder than
that, surely?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
GB wrote:

George Miles wrote:

ten inches of concrete over a sewer pipe

That's quite a lot thicker than I've ever had to break up.

Order a couple of spare lengths of salt-glazed pipe now ;-)

:-) Yup!
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

George Miles wrote:

ten inches of concrete over a sewer pipe

That's quite a lot thicker than I've ever had to break up.

Order a couple of spare lengths of salt-glazed pipe now ;-)

+1

I would be starting out by cutting deep slots in a three inch grid with
a big angle grinder, then knocking out the individual blocks. That is a
*very* substantial bit of concrete to tackle with anything less than a
full sized breaker. And a breaker on a JCB would be better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

George Miles wrote:

ten inches of concrete over a sewer pipe

That's quite a lot thicker than I've ever had to break up.

Order a couple of spare lengths of salt-glazed pipe now ;-)

+1

I would be starting out by cutting deep slots in a three inch grid with
a big angle grinder, then knocking out the individual blocks. That is a
*very* substantial bit of concrete to tackle with anything less than a
full sized breaker. And a breaker on a JCB would be better.

And guarantee the sewer pipe underneath gets broken?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George Miles" wrote in message
On Saturday, March 30, 2019 at 8:14:22 PM UTC, newshound wrote:
On 30/03/2019 20:04, George Miles wrote:
SDS Hammer Drill:
how hard to push?
I'm breaking up concrete,
push very hard, quite hard, or not at all?

[george]

Drill, or chisel?

If it is a heavy device then as far as possible use the weight of the
device. If it's just a small one then you may have to push quite hard to
get anywhere.

There is quite a "knack" to breaking concrete efficiently. Try to start
from an edge, if you can't then try to make an initial crack in the
middle (e.g. with a sledge hammer). Assuming it is something like a path
laid on earth, get a crowbar under it and try to lift it.

ten inches of concrete over a sewer pipe

You really need a proper concrete breaker for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 09:34:37 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

ten inches of concrete over a sewer pipe

You really need a proper concrete breaker for that.

At least two posters mentioned that already, senile idiot!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2019 12:22, GB wrote:
On 30/03/2019 20:27, George Miles wrote:

ten inches of concrete over a sewer pipe

That's quite a lot thicker than I've ever had to break up. What sort of
SDS drill do you have? How many joules? Is it a breaker, or just a
standard drill?

As far as the drill bit is concerned, you may find it easier to use a
spike than a chisel, and just crack chunks off the edge.

In that case hire a 9 or 12 inch angle grinder and try and chop
lumps out of it. The sledge hammer technique that I mentioned
lower down is probably not a good idea :-(

For 10" concrete, you are going to need a much bigger angle grinder than
that, surely?

Yep, a much bigger 15" concrete saw and a real risk of ****ing the sewer
pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 13:36:38 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,

It couldn't become as ****ed as you are though, senile Rot!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.