Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roofing felt questions.

Hi all,

My old 8x4 shed / mini workshop (18th birthday present) is still in
Mums back garden and a few years back a mate (with me helping)
replaced the (flat / sloping, whatever that's called) stock roof with
a larger (greater overlap on the front / door end) OSB panels.

We felted it from bottom to top, felt nails ever few inches on the
overlaps and round the edges and the sides had fascias screwed over
them.

Mum phoned during the recent storm to say that most of the top strip
had come off and in following winds, as did the rest of that strip
later on.

Now, there was no adhesive visible and I can't remember it being used
so what might have allowed it to pull off so cleanly / completely?

All the nails are still there (felt ripped round), as are the fascias
that are trapping the top strip on 3 sides so it really has been
ripped off?

I was wondering if it was being flexed (sucked) up and down in the
middle of the strip it might have worked hardened the edges where it
goes over the edges and behind the fascias and that's where it
initially let go?

So, when we get a mo (and on a warm dry windless day) I intend to
remove the fascias (screwed on), all the nails on the overlap and re
felt and nail the top strip, but should I also glue it on?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m posted
[...]

I had the same problem in the December gales. I stuck the new felt down
with Everbuild Black Jack bitumen felt adhesive, painted onto the
(carefully cleaned) wooden roof panels.

I had to wait eight weeks for a dry windless day

--
Evremonde
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 13:01:54 +0000
The Marquis Saint Evremonde wrote:

[...]

That sounds like the instructions on some lawn weedkiller my Dad bought
years ago, which included the instructions to "apply 5 hours after and
five hours before rain".

I believe he just did the best he could.

--
Davy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2019 12:32, T i m wrote:
[...]

Felt is a waste of time and effort. Use EPDM and do it once only
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 March 2019 12:32:37 UTC, T i m wrote:
[...]

If you want to secure roofing felt, do it by nailing battens on top.
(Running from apex to eaves.)
Paint the underside of the battens with bitumous paint and nailon while wet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 17:48:54 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

On 24/03/2019 12:32, T i m wrote:
[...]

The only felt that I've found to be strong was one with glass fibre in it.
The ordinary felt could be torn with thumb and 2 fingers of one hand; the
g-f felt I couldn't tear. Got it from a proper roofers place near Doncaster.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 March 2019 17:48:58 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
On 24/03/2019 12:32, T i m wrote:
[...]

It's incomaptible with bitumen though, so you generally have to replace the deck as well. Steel is cheaper IIRC.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 March 2019 19:46:13 UTC, harry wrote:
[...]

I've seen the results of that, so would not recommend it. Perhaps in severe wind areas where risk of rip-off exceeds risk of the batten nails splitting the felt.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 17:48:54 +0000, Bob Minchin
wrote:
snip

Felt is a waste of time and effort.

Well, I've had the shed over 45 years and I can't remember having to
re-felt it very often?

Use EPDM and do it once only

A quick check, 3 x 4m of 1.2mm is around £100, plus adhesive, carriage
and Vat etc.

An advantage looks like it's reasonably easy to apply and durable so I
might check it out ...

On similar lines I was thinking of laying some woven fibreglass mat
directly over the OSB?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 March 2019 22:02:23 UTC, wrote:
[...]

It's normal practice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well it tends to go very brittle where its bent so any corners not covered
by any baton or whatever tends to rip letting the air get underneath and it
gradually gets worse in height winds.

I cannot say I've ever glued it on though. Might be a pig to remove when you
have to if you do!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 12:32:37 PM UTC, T i m wrote:
[...]

The shed felt must have been cheap DIY thin felt. Try a good quality flat roof type from a roofing suppliers or builders merchant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 March 2019 08:17:35 UTC, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 24 March 2019 22:02:23 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Sunday, 24 March 2019 19:46:13 UTC, harry wrote:

If you want to secure roofing felt, do it by nailing battens on top.
(Running from apex to eaves.)
Paint the underside of the battens with bitumous paint and nailon while wet.

I've seen the results of that, so would not recommend it. Perhaps in severe wind areas where risk of rip-off exceeds risk of the batten nails splitting the felt.

It's normal practice.

Yes, and where it's not needed it causes roofing failures. Stick to high wind areas.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 01:07:21 +0000
T i m wrote:

On similar lines I was thinking of laying some woven fibreglass mat
directly over the OSB?

Two layers of chopped strand mat works well on OSB, you'll need a gel
coat too.