Steve Jones

Default Green roofing "felt"

I am sat here watching some roofers on the house opposite. Instead of
roofing felt they are using some thin plastic type stuff which is green
on one side and white on the other. What is this stuff? Surely it won't
provide as much insulation as traditional felt?

Steve
mrcheerful

"Steve Jones" wrote in message
I am sat here watching some roofers on the house opposite. Instead of
roofing felt they are using some thin plastic type stuff which is green on
one side and white on the other. What is this stuff? Surely it won't
provide as much insulation as traditional felt?

Steve

I presume you mean under the tiles. There are several super duper types
nowadays which are breathable one way , insulated, extremely strong 25 yr
guarantee etc.
I think screwfix list one type.

mrcheerful

Andy Wade

Jan Wysocki wrote:

AFAIK roofing felt is there to:
a. stop the slates or tiles lifting in strong winds.
b. stop all the filth accumulating in your loft space (several tons of
dust in the 1903 terrace loft space that I hoovered out a few years ago.)

Those aren't the main reasons. The primary purpose of sarking (felt or
boards) is to catch wind blown rain and fine snow that inevitably gets
under the roof covering sometimes and allow it to drain into the gutters.

The green material observed by the OP does indeed sound like a
high-quality vapour permeable 'felt' such as 'Tyvek'.

--
Andy
Jan Wysocki

In article , Steve Jones wrote:
I am sat here watching some roofers on the house opposite. Instead of
roofing felt they are using some thin plastic type stuff which is green
on one side and white on the other. What is this stuff? Surely it won't
provide as much insulation as traditional felt?

Steve

Errm, who says the felt is to provide insulation? That's provided by
the thick layer of name your favourite insulator between the rafters.
AFAIK roofing felt is there to:
a. stop the slates or tiles lifting in strong winds.
b. stop all the filth accumulating in your loft space (several tons of
dust in the 1903 terrace loft space that I hoovered out a few years ago.)

(Ok, it may provide some marginal insulation by reducing the rate
of air change in your loft.)

--
Jan