Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Weird local builders

A drive is being completely relaid locally in a snakes and ladders manner.

There's a concrete base already there.

The builders laid down grids of rebar on top of one bit of it, shuttered
that bit, then poured 4" of concrete.

The next day they started digging the newly laid bit up again, using a
SDS drill. They managed about 20% of the new concrete by close of play
for the day. Today, when I passed in the morning, they were still at it,
only now they have a decent breaker, so progress is faster. I haven't
checked progress since then, but I guess they finished digging it up by
lunchtime.

What on earth is going on?

I mentioned to DW that the site slopes down towards the front door of
the house, and the top of the concrete looked like it was level with the
floor of the house. But, surely they'd have spotted that before pouring
concrete. I know they are planning some sort of resin-bonded finish on
top of the concrete.

I'll keep you posted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 March 2019 17:43:35 UTC, GB wrote:
A drive is being completely relaid locally in a snakes and ladders manner.

Drivways can be complicated. Just ask Adam's former neighbour.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds a bit like a job creation scheme.
Actually if somebody snagged itg they probably got told to do it properly.
You do get some dingbats. I had some window sills covered in a plastic
section but it entailed cutting some of them to fit, they left one guy to
do the last one while they went off to prepare the next job and he cut it
completely different to all the others. Luckily it does not look that bad,
but I know its a cliché, but he was really broad Irish, and had a limp.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...