Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Manual plane

In common with many on here, I have a lot of DIY toys and in particular, power tools. Over the years I've acquired drills (corded, cordless combi & SDS, pillar), sanders (ordital, rotary, belt), router, circular saw, jigsaw, electric plane etc.

What I notice is that there are many jobs too small/unimportant to break out the serious gear, or create the associated mess. This applies particularly to woodworking, when cutting bits and pieces to cobble together into something useful that doesn't need to be pretty. However, while the appearance doesn't matter for such things, it still annoys me to see crappy, wobbly edges (e.g. cut with a jigsaw, when a circular saw would be the proper tool).

In a nutshell, I'm thinking about getting a manual plane; something to make a rough edge cut flat and smooth, without throwing clouds of dust everywhere.

The first question, then, is: should I buy one new?

The second question is: for a given size and with the use I have in mind, does brand/quality matter that much?

The third question is: for shaving wood in the range 1ft to 3ft in length and typically no more than an inch wide (edge to be planed), what size (length) of plane is best?

Thanks.

Bill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2019 19:37, Bob Minchin wrote:
On 11/03/2019 18:33, wrote:
[...]

A used no4 off ebay should do you nicely.

Agreed, and I have one (but havn't used it for years). I used to rely on
my late FIL to sharpen it (master builder) and I've never got anywhere
near his technique. I do have a (cheap) power plane, but that very
seldom comes out too.

If you are only cutting sheet, use a circular saw and a sawboard for
straight cuts. Then just sand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I used to love my Record Plane when I could see. Something very therapeutic
about planing wood you know.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
On 11/03/2019 18:33,
wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 March 2019 18:33:35 UTC, wrote:

[...]

New or used makes no difference unless it's damaged. There is more than one way to set the blade position, some mechanisms are easier to set accurately than others. Knocking a wedge in is the crude option, though it's quite usable.

I used to see toy planes in the likes of poundland decades ago, needless to say they were junk, as I discovered once when left one & I thought I'd see if it was usable. It wasn't.

You could always make your own from a lump of hardwood. They're not rocket science, a home made plane can fly.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2019 18:33, wrote:

In a nutshell, I'm thinking about getting a manual plane; something
to make a rough edge cut flat and smooth, without throwing clouds of
dust everywhere.

Once nice and sharp and well adjusted, there is a certain satisfaction
in a hand plane that you don't get form the powered version.

The first question, then, is: should I buy one new?

Yup. Probably two in fact. A good general purpose "No 4" or "No 4 and a
half", and a small block plane.

The second question is: for a given size and with the use I have in
mind, does brand/quality matter that much?

Brans not too much, quality helps. Having said that the cheap chinesium
ones are ok if you spend a bit of time sanding off the rough edges etc,

Its often better to go for an older Stanley or Record from ebay rather
than the new version.

The third question is: for shaving wood in the range 1ft to 3ft in
length and typically no more than an inch wide (edge to be planed),
what size (length) of plane is best?

No 4 is probably the the nearest to an "all rounder". If you particulat
need to edge joint boards then a slightly longer one might be better -
but they are significantly more expensive.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Best place to get one is car boot sale.
You will need training if you haven't used one before.
Or a lot of trial and error.
There are several different types too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 6:33:35 PM UTC, wrote:
[...]

My goto for small jobs is a small block plane. Easily handled. Top of the line would be Lie Neilsen with number two, in my opinion, being Veritas.

However there are many cheaper alternatives.

Learn how to sharpen the blade and keep it sharp.

Remember practice makes perfect and thie is true os using a plane more than other tools i.m.e.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2019 18:33, wrote:
[...]

As others have said, either a Stanley #4 or a block plane. You'll also
need a means of sharpening the blade: an oil stone (or one of the modern
alternatives), a means of holding the correct angle, and a grinder for
when you damage the edge.
These people have some nice tools that are cheaper than Lie Nelson
https://www.workshopheaven.com/ - I've been pleased with the things I've
bought from them (no connection, etc.) If you buy used then make sure
the sole is flat and the iron is ground correctly - the Web has several
useful guides on plane fettling.
Planing is one of the most enjoyable actions in a workshop. The feel of
a sharp blade smoothly cutting, the smell of the wood, the satisfaction
of the smooth surface ...

Router plane vs Plough plane nautilus Woodworking 1 January 17th 07 06:02 PM
Rabbet Block Plane v. Rabbet Plane for just rabbets Jay Pique Woodworking 2 December 24th 06 12:52 AM
De plane! De plane! David Woodworking 3 November 9th 05 04:30 AM
Plane ignorant person needs some plane advice. Modat22 Woodworking 20 June 2nd 05 10:55 PM
Next plane purchase--next 2 plane purchases? Eric Anderson Woodworking 23 January 18th 04 06:18 AM