Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Manual plane

I used to love my Record Plane when I could see. Something very therapeutic
about planing wood you know.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
On 11/03/2019 18:33,
wrote:
In common with many on here, I have a lot of DIY toys and in particular,
power tools. Over the years I've acquired drills (corded, cordless combi
& SDS, pillar), sanders (ordital, rotary, belt), router, circular saw,
jigsaw, electric plane etc.

What I notice is that there are many jobs too small/unimportant to break
out the serious gear, or create the associated mess. This applies
particularly to woodworking, when cutting bits and pieces to cobble
together into something useful that doesn't need to be pretty. However,
while the appearance doesn't matter for such things, it still annoys me
to see crappy, wobbly edges (e.g. cut with a jigsaw, when a circular saw
would be the proper tool).

In a nutshell, I'm thinking about getting a manual plane; something to
make a rough edge cut flat and smooth, without throwing clouds of dust
everywhere.

The first question, then, is: should I buy one new?

The second question is: for a given size and with the use I have in mind,
does brand/quality matter that much?

The third question is: for shaving wood in the range 1ft to 3ft in length
and typically no more than an inch wide (edge to be planed), what size
(length) of plane is best?

Thanks.

Bill.

A used no4 off ebay should do you nicely