Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to clean rough ceramic

I have some ceramic electrical insulation, that is a bit discoloured and
I would like to clean up.

It has a rough unglazed surface.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2019 21:42, D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some ceramic electrical insulation, that is a bit discoloured and
I would like to clean up.

It has a rough unglazed surface.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Daniele

Ceramic insulation is normally glazed at least on the external surfaces.
Is it still in service as an insulator? If so I would be cautious about
trying to clean it chemically or mechanically.

Obsolete insulators sometimes acquire corrosion products from metallic
parts, either green from copper or brown from steel. As someone else
said, brick acid should get rid of those, perhaps with some brushing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some ceramic electrical insulation, that is a bit discoloured and
I would like to clean up.

It has a rough unglazed surface.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Daniele

An old fashioned toothpaste with a bit of roughness to it,not one of the
gel types.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some ceramic electrical insulation, that is a bit discoloured and
I would like to clean up.

It has a rough unglazed surface.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Daniele

It rather depends what the muck is.

Id try a strong solution of detergent first and a scrub, to remove any
oil/grease and surface stuff. Anything left will be absorbed into the
unglazed ceramic and more of a problem. May be bleach- it seems to work on
tile grout, my wife used it on the old tiled floor we had (it had wide
grout lines and seemed to stain).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 3 March 2019 21:42:21 UTC, D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some ceramic electrical insulation, that is a bit discoloured and
I would like to clean up.

It has a rough unglazed surface.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Daniele

If it's old, beware, a lot had near zero tensile strength and will crumble just from doing a screw up. 1st move I'd recommend is dishwasher. It's effortless and removes a lot of things.

NT