Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connecting sinks etc to smelly septic system

Most of our sinks, baths, washing machines etc drain into the old rainwater system which drains we know not where.

We've been told under the new regulations they must all drain into the victorian septic tank before January 2020 or we risk fines and jail.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/general-...-surface-water

But there's a risk of foul gases coming into the house through all these new connections.

Could we have extra U Bends at ground level near the new connections?

Or how can it best be done?

george

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"George Miles" wrote in message
Most of our sinks, baths, washing machines etc drain into the old
rainwater system which drains we know not where.

We've been told under the new regulations they must all drain into the
victorian septic tank before January 2020 or we risk fines and jail.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/general-...-surface-water

But there's a risk of foul gases coming into the house through all these
new connections.

Could we have extra U Bends at ground level near the new connections?

Or how can it best be done?

Does that requirement apply to existing installations or only to new ones?
And does it apply to *all* grey water - baths, washbasins, washing
machines - ie all water except rainwater from gutters?

I ask because my parents have a holiday cottage where only the toilets drain
into the septic tank, and everything else goes into a communal grey water
drain for the village which goes, like yours, "we know not where". I think
it ultimately drains into local beck.

I had always understood that baths, in particular, were not to go into a
septic tank because of the large amount of water which could overwhelm the
drainage rate of the septic tank's outflow (into the same communal drain, I
imagine!), and were actively encouraged to go into soakaway etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2019 16:19, George Miles wrote:
Most of our sinks, baths, washing machines etc drain into the old rainwater system which drains we know not where.

We've been told under the new regulations they must all drain into the victorian septic tank before January 2020 or we risk fines and jail.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/general-...-surface-water

But there's a risk of foul gases coming into the house through all these new connections.

Could we have extra U Bends at ground level near the new connections?

Or how can it best be done?

george

Best will be U bends at each source but if that is not practical as many
as possible. You will also need air admittance valves to stop siphoning
emptying the rest of the traps when water flows.
Ideally imitate a modern system with a stack vented at the top and each
U trapped source discharging into it and then on to you septic tank.
There are rules about the vertical distance between soil (****) inlets
and grey water inlets - 200mm I think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles posted
Most of our sinks, baths, washing machines etc drain into the old
rainwater system which drains we know not where.

We've been told under the new regulations they must all drain into the
victorian septic tank before January 2020 or we risk fines and jail.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/general-...wage-discharge
-to-a-surface-water

But there's a risk of foul gases coming into the house through all
these new connections.

Could we have extra U Bends at ground level near the new connections?

Don't all the connections already have U-bends on them? If any don't,
just add them.

--
Evremonde
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote:

Most of our sinks, baths, washing machines etc drain into the old
rainwater system which drains we know not where.

We've been told under the new regulations they must all drain into the
victorian septic tank before January 2020 or we risk fines and jail.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/general-...ge-discharge-t
o-a-surface-water

But there's a risk of foul gases coming into the house through all these
new connections.

Could we have extra U Bends at ground level near the new connections?

Or how can it best be done?

george

With modern (last fifty years?) systems everything drains into a soil
stack directly connected to the sewer and a single trap at each water
outlet seems to work alright. Some sort of raised sewer vent near the
house, and maybe anti-syphon valves on the traps is all that is needed
to make the system work alright.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 February 2019 17:02:12 UTC, The Marquis Saint Evremonde wrote:
George Miles posted
Most of our sinks, baths, washing machines etc drain into the old
rainwater system which drains we know not where.

We've been told under the new regulations they must all drain into the
victorian septic tank before January 2020 or we risk fines and jail.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/general-...wage-discharge
-to-a-surface-water

But there's a risk of foul gases coming into the house through all
these new connections.

Could we have extra U Bends at ground level near the new connections?

Don't all the connections already have U-bends on them? If any don't,
just add them.

Or a HepvO

https://hepvo.com/

Found them extremely good where a conventional trap might have been difficult/awkward to fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2019 16:19, George Miles wrote:
Most of our sinks, baths, washing machines etc drain into the old
rainwater system which drains we know not where.

We've been told under the new regulations they must all drain into
the victorian septic tank before January 2020 or we risk fines and
jail.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/general-...-surface-water

But there's a risk of foul gases coming into the house through all
these new connections.

Why? Aren't their U bends and vents already in place?

Could we have extra U Bends at ground level near the new
connections?

Or how can it best be done?

Sinkls have U bends. Wsahing machines and dishwahsers should use u bends
Baths basinss and showers have U bends. Toilets have U bends

WTF more do you want? Have you ever lifetd the cover off a normal mains
sewage system? Foul gases ain't in it mate!

george

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 4:27:14 PM UTC, NY wrote:
[...]

interesting questions,
i dont know the answer yet!
george
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2019 20:26, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 16:27:11 -0000, "NY" wrote:

[...]

In my previous property, everything went into the septic tank except
rainwater.

In my current property, the same, but it is a proper sewage treatment
system.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 20:26:05 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

[...]

Ditto. Small rural village with a block of cottages having a communal
septic. They are up in arms at the prospect of having to fork out a
lot of money to meet whatever is being proposed. I've been out of it
for a couple of years so hopefully no come-back in my direction.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL posted
On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 20:26:05 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

In my previous property, everything went into the septic tank except
rainwater.

Ditto. Small rural village with a block of cottages having a communal
septic. They are up in arms at the prospect of having to fork out a
lot of money to meet whatever is being proposed. I've been out of it
for a couple of years so hopefully no come-back in my direction.

It isn't being proposed. It's happening. Regulations imposed courtesy of
an EU near you.

--
Evremonde
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 12:23:01 -0800 (PST), George Miles
wrote:

Yes, new regulations to stop people discharging sewage into watercourses, g=
ot to be done by January 2020 or else =C2=A330,000 fine and 3 months prison=
maximum sentence. And you're not allowed to sell your house until its fixe=
d.

http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=3D103

"Duties
If you own a cesspool or septic tank, you are required under the law to:
Ensure that such systems are watertight and to take steps to avoid leaka=
ge or overflow that may cause groundwater contamination. Under the Public H=
ealth Act, it is an offence to allow a cesspool or septic tank to leak or o=
verflow. Your local authority can initiate a criminal action against you if=
a leak or overflow occurs from your system. In addition, if this results i=
n pollution of a watercourse or river, the Environment Agency may also pros=
ecute. The penalty is three months imprisonment or a fine of up to =C2=A330=
,000."

I'm just checking that all bathwater must go into septic tanks now?

Mine goes into rain water system, so will have to change it somehow methink=
s, unless anyone can prove its OK as it is.

[george]

That's why we have governments and laws, to stop our neighbours ****ting in=
our watercourses, isnt it?

AFAIA the (shared) septic tank operation is for water to traverse via
a 200m long pipe to a pond in the middle of a farmer's field (said
farmer was responsible for installing the system in the '50s).

The pond is home to ducks. The farmer originally had cattle in the
field - god only knows where their **** ended up! He now grows rape
seed or wheat.

The pond isn't that far away from the village sewage works for the
handful of more modern (ie c20th) properties. An obvious solution to
me was to extend the pipe to the sewage but Severn Trent wouldn't have
it. They would only take untreated sewage.

So is this septic tank really a danger to the environment? I've not
had the need to be that interested.

--
AnthonyL