Posted to uk.d-i-y
George Miles George Miles is offline

Default Connecting sinks etc to smelly septic system

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 4:27:14 PM UTC, NY wrote:
"George Miles" wrote in message
Most of our sinks, baths, washing machines etc drain into the old
rainwater system which drains we know not where.

We've been told under the new regulations they must all drain into the
victorian septic tank before January 2020 or we risk fines and jail.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/general-...-surface-water

But there's a risk of foul gases coming into the house through all these
new connections.

Could we have extra U Bends at ground level near the new connections?

Or how can it best be done?

Does that requirement apply to existing installations or only to new ones?
And does it apply to *all* grey water - baths, washbasins, washing
machines - ie all water except rainwater from gutters?

I ask because my parents have a holiday cottage where only the toilets drain
into the septic tank, and everything else goes into a communal grey water
drain for the village which goes, like yours, "we know not where". I think
it ultimately drains into local beck.

I had always understood that baths, in particular, were not to go into a
septic tank because of the large amount of water which could overwhelm the
drainage rate of the septic tank's outflow (into the same communal drain, I
imagine!), and were actively encouraged to go into soakaway etc.

interesting questions,
i dont know the answer yet!
george