Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Foam backed board or loose insulation for ceiling?

We're replacing the kitchen extension ceiling, i'm happy to lose a few
inches of height.

Would you fit normal board with insulation above, or foam backed board?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S Wrote in message:
We're replacing the kitchen extension ceiling, i'm happy to lose a few
inches of height.

Would you fit normal board with insulation above, or foam backed board?

Some links might not go amiss...

What's above it?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 February 2019 18:16:09 UTC, R D S wrote:
We're replacing the kitchen extension ceiling, i'm happy to lose a few
inches of height.

Would you fit normal board with insulation above, or foam backed board?

Separate insulation is cheaper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S writes:
We're replacing the kitchen extension ceiling, i'm happy to lose a few
inches of height.

Would you fit normal board with insulation above, or foam backed board?

I cut slabs to fit flush against the bottom of the ceiling joists,
and used foil tape to seal the joints to prevent moisture passing
through the ceiling into the roof space. (Foil backed board would
be another option.)

In an otherwise well insulated house, I would have put the insulation
under the joists, but that marginal thermal gain was pointless on a
house with 9" external brick walls.

There needs to be a ventilated (to the outside) air gap above the
insulation. If there's sufficient height inside the ceiling (including
for the ventilation above), you could use rockwool type insulation on
the plasterboard. I'm not sure what the required thickness is now -
maybe 12". This needs to be put up with the plasterboard, and I would
suggest using foil backed board in a kitchen or bathroom in this case.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Foam, foam, foam Don Y[_3_] Home Repair 29 November 10th 15 04:10 AM
Attic devided by foil backed insulation board sid Home Repair 10 March 20th 15 11:35 AM
Foam backed board? R D S[_2_] UK diy 16 October 9th 14 07:21 AM
Insulation backed plaster board Grunff UK diy 5 June 1st 06 11:06 AM
Foam Backed Carpet Stuck to Floorboards Bookworm UK diy 8 March 11th 06 09:38 PM