Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can you get thin[ner] worktops?

All kitchen worktops seem to come in 40mm or sometimes 30mm thickness.
I'm after some wood sheet material, just like a worktop, but in 18mm
or 20mm[ish] thickness. Is such stuff available?

Just to be clear I don't want laminate (or laminated wood, or plywood)
I want solid wood manufactured from little blocks as they do for wood
kitchen worktops.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

All kitchen worktops seem to come in 40mm or sometimes 30mm thickness.
I'm after some wood sheet material, just like a worktop, but in 18mm
or 20mm[ish] thickness. Is such stuff available?

I can see 3m lengths of 20mm thick 'butcher block' but mainly only 100m
wide for use as an upstand.

Or this?

https://www.woodandbeyond.com/products/premium-tiger-walnut-worktop-18mm-by-800mm-by-3000mm-wt302.html

Same supplier has 26mm thick in other woods.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 19:20, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

All kitchen worktops seem to come in 40mm or sometimes 30mm thickness.
I'm after some wood sheet material, just like a worktop, but in 18mm
or 20mm[ish] thickness.* Is such stuff available?

I can see 3m lengths of 20mm thick 'butcher block' but mainly only 100m
wide for use as an upstand.

Or this?

https://www.woodandbeyond.com/products/premium-tiger-walnut-worktop-18mm-by-800mm-by-3000mm-wt302.html

Same supplier has 26mm thick in other woods.

veneered 19mm mdf

granbitre.

Make your own from a wood frame tiled?

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

All kitchen worktops seem to come in 40mm or sometimes 30mm thickness.
I'm after some wood sheet material, just like a worktop, but in 18mm
or 20mm[ish] thickness. Is such stuff available?

I can see 3m lengths of 20mm thick 'butcher block' but mainly only 100m
wide for use as an upstand.

Yes, I found lots of updstands too.

Or this?

https://www.woodandbeyond.com/products/premium-tiger-walnut-worktop-18mm-by-800mm-by-3000mm-wt302.html

Ah! That's the first I've seen at 18mm.

Same supplier has 26mm thick in other woods.

Even that might be OK, I've found 27mm elsewhere, 26mm is better (1mm
better!).

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 February 2019 20:16:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

All kitchen worktops seem to come in 40mm or sometimes 30mm thickness.
I'm after some wood sheet material, just like a worktop, but in 18mm
or 20mm[ish] thickness. Is such stuff available?

I can see 3m lengths of 20mm thick 'butcher block' but mainly only 100m
wide for use as an upstand.

Yes, I found lots of updstands too.

Or this?

https://www.woodandbeyond.com/products/premium-tiger-walnut-worktop-18mm-by-800mm-by-3000mm-wt302.html

Ah! That's the first I've seen at 18mm.

Same supplier has 26mm thick in other woods.

Even that might be OK, I've found 27mm elsewhere, 26mm is better (1mm
better!).

I wouldn't rush to use wood or wood products as a kitchen worktop. Glassfibre cement board would at least be more durable. Concrete & tile is relatively good, but not 18mm. SS would get you down to around 1mm.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

All kitchen worktops seem to come in 40mm or sometimes 30mm thickness.
I'm after some wood sheet material, just like a worktop, but in 18mm
or 20mm[ish] thickness. Is such stuff available?

I can see 3m lengths of 20mm thick 'butcher block' but mainly only 100m
wide for use as an upstand.

Yes, I found lots of updstands too.

Or this?

https://www.woodandbeyond.com/products/premium-tiger-walnut-worktop-18mm-by-800mm-by-3000mm-wt302.html

Ah! That's the first I've seen at 18mm.

Same supplier has 26mm thick in other woods.

Even that might be OK, I've found 27mm elsewhere, 26mm is better (1mm
better!).

I wouldn't rush to use wood or wood products as a kitchen worktop. Glassfibre
cement board would at least be more durable. Concrete & tile is relatively
good, but not 18mm. SS would get you down to around 1mm.

I'm not going to use it as a kitchen worktop! However we have
rubberwood worktops in our kitchen and they are excellent and look
just about as good as they did new 15 years or more ago.

I'm after thinner material to use for an office/desk worktop.

Some of the sheds do shelving material of the construction you describe
and about the right thickness. You would likely need to glue up several
side by side to get the depth required for a desktop.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

[...]

In that case there's pineboard and a good range of engineered flooring.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

All kitchen worktops seem to come in 40mm or sometimes 30mm
thickness. I'm after some wood sheet material, just like a
worktop, but in 18mm or 20mm[ish] thickness. Is such stuff
available?

I can see 3m lengths of 20mm thick 'butcher block' but mainly
only 100m wide for use as an upstand.

Yes, I found lots of updstands too.

Or this?

https://www.woodandbeyond.com/products/premium-tiger-walnut-worktop-18mm-by-800mm-by-3000mm-wt302.html

Ah! That's the first I've seen at 18mm.

Same supplier has 26mm thick in other woods.

Even that might be OK, I've found 27mm elsewhere, 26mm is better
(1mm better!).

I wouldn't rush to use wood or wood products as a kitchen worktop.

Wood makes quite a good worktop... Natural antimicrobial properties, and
if you use an oiled finish easy to touch in and repair when required.

But not the best to clean & likes to rot. No option is perfect.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

[...]

Clean much as any worktop. Its not going to rot unless you like leaving
puddles of water on it for extended periods.

If you were that worried, you could use a durable timber like English Oak.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

I'm after thinner material to use for an office/desk worktop.

How about looking for a scrap/second-hand office desk that you can strip
the top-off and clean up as a top for your new desk?

They're very rarely solid wood unless they're very old, and thus will
be an unrestorable mess if chipped etc. as they probably will be.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 February 2019 14:01:33 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/02/2019 09:12, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 9 February 2019 03:31:36 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 08/02/2019 22:32, tabbypurr wrote:

I wouldn't rush to use wood or wood products as a kitchen worktop.

Wood makes quite a good worktop... Natural antimicrobial properties, and
if you use an oiled finish easy to touch in and repair when required.

But not the best to clean & likes to rot. No option is perfect.

Clean much as any worktop. Its not going to rot unless you like leaving
puddles of water on it for extended periods.

Or someone else does. And there lies one problem. And when water gets under the edge of the sink, as it did, the result was a rotting crater. It never cleaned well compared to formica.

NT

If you were that worried, you could use a durable timber like English Oak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

[...]

Dearly beloved ex rotted through te English Oal worktop in about 10 years

Replaced with granite... thats thin. about 18mm

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

All kitchen worktops seem to come in 40mm or sometimes 30mm thickness.
I'm after some wood sheet material, just like a worktop, but in 18mm
or 20mm[ish] thickness.* Is such stuff available?

I can see 3m lengths of 20mm thick 'butcher block' but mainly only
100m wide for use as an upstand.

Or this?

https://www.woodandbeyond.com/products/premium-tiger-walnut-worktop-18mm-by-800mm-by-3000mm-wt302.html

Same supplier has 26mm thick in other woods.

veneered 19mm mdf

granbitre.

Make your own from a wood frame tiled?

Yes you can ... but unless you buy expensive resin cast .... as the
wood/laminates gets thinner more likely to warp.
You could make any thickness you want ... buy some WBP PLY and laminate
in finish to suit .... not hard and thousands of laminate finishes to
choose from.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

[...]

WBP is no longer a legally accepted standard, and is not normally W or B-proof any more.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 February 2019 16:57:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

My Formica on chipboard has lasted for more than 45 years fine.

early 70s. Let me guess, brown & purple stripes?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

My Formica on chipboard has lasted for more than 45 years fine.

early 70s. Let me guess, brown & purple stripes?

Nope, stark white.