Old February 12th 19, 12:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bodywork

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 10:13:58 PM UTC, soup wrote:

An analogy of the situation I heard was that all taxes are just put
into ONE pile any and all moneys needed (subject to budgets, that
money existing etc)are taken from this pile . There are NO specific
piles paid into by specific taxes.

Indeed. So a hard drinking smoker who gambles on the geegees a lot who
doesn't drive either will pay FAR more into the pot than the owner of
one of these.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dy-I1CqXQAAEgf_.jpg

How many red herrings do you have?

--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Old February 12th 19, 03:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:27:08 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are demanding
lots of alterations to roads specifically for cyclists. So in these days
of austerity - especially with most councils - why shouldn't they
contribute towards that?

In what way?
By paying a tax that does not exist?
Old February 12th 19, 04:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2019 08:12, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 12:24:03 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Quite. So why are cyclists exempt from paying tax on that activity while
other road users ain't?

Same as these cars which don't pay anything either - they don't pollute enough.

Er no.
They have been nade tax exempt cos otherwise no one would buy them

'pollution' is just an excuse.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dy-I1CqXQAAEgf_.jpg

There are about 2000000 vehicles that are VED exempt including mine as I am registered disabled.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Old February 12th 19, 07:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Quite. So why are cyclists exempt from paying tax on that activity while
other road users ain't?

Same as these cars which don't pay anything either - they don't pollute enough.

Nice try - but taxing on pollution has entered the game rather late on.

At one time, cycling too and from work etc was restricted to only a few.
Mainly school kids.

It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are demanding
lots of alterations to roads specifically for cyclists. So in these days
of austerity - especially with most councils - why shouldn't they
contribute towards that?

What like drivers of motorised vehicles don't. I have told you Dave
just because you 'say' (or even imply something) over and over and...,
does not make it true.

Old February 12th 19, 07:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 3:25:18 PM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 12/02/2019 08:12, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 12:24:03 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Quite. So why are cyclists exempt from paying tax on that activity while
other road users ain't?

Same as these cars which don't pay anything either - they don't pollute enough.

Er no.
They have been nade tax exempt cos otherwise no one would buy them

'pollution' is just an excuse.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dy-I1CqXQAAEgf_.jpg

The more you pollute the atmosphere in a car the more tax you pay.
The more beer you drink, the more tax you pay.
The more fags you smoke, the more tax you pay.
The more you eat take away food the more tax you pay.

Here's where it all goes.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzNMeEyX4AAlYHL.jpg

Hardly news.

Old February 12th 19, 07:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/02/2019 22:16, soup wrote:
On 11/02/2019 19:47, ARW wrote:
On 08/02/2019 18:04, soup wrote:

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).

By female equivalent I presume you mean Polyfilla her crack?

I don't know, is it?

I also don't know. However a Google search of John Wayne Bobbitt finds
that he was in a news article 3 hours ago in the Mirror newspaper.

--
Adam
Old February 12th 19, 08:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are
demanding lots of alterations to roads specifically for cyclists.
So in these days of austerity - especially with most councils -
why shouldn't they contribute towards that?

In what way?
By paying a tax that does not exist?

He's saying that there should be a tax that cyclists have to pay, to
pay for all that road modification that only cyclists benefit from.

Problem with that line is that its just as true of footpaths and its
even harder to tax pedestrians based on how much they use then.

Not as hard with cars and trucks because there is at least the fuel
tax which has some relation to how much you use the roads, but
doesn’t distinguish between the trucks that do the most damage
to the roads, and the cars which don’t do much at all relatively.

Old February 12th 19, 09:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 18:13:20 +0000, soup wrote:

Quite. So why are cyclists exempt from paying tax on that activity while
other road users ain't?

Same as these cars which don't pay anything either - they don't pollute enough.

Nice try - but taxing on pollution has entered the game rather late on.

At one time, cycling too and from work etc was restricted to only a few.
Mainly school kids.

It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are demanding
lots of alterations to roads specifically for cyclists. So in these days
of austerity - especially with most councils - why shouldn't they
contribute towards that?

What like drivers of motorised vehicles don't. I have told you Dave
just because you 'say' (or even imply something) over and over and...,
does not make it true.

Most cyclists are also car drivers.
In the groups I ride with only one is not a car driver.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Old February 12th 19, 09:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 7:30:33 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are
demanding lots of alterations to roads specifically for cyclists.
So in these days of austerity - especially with most councils -
why shouldn't they contribute towards that?

In what way?
By paying a tax that does not exist?

He's saying that there should be a tax that cyclists have to pay, to
pay for all that road modification that only cyclists benefit from.

I agree.
Let's call it council tax.
Same money pot as for speed humps and pothole repairs.

Old February 12th 19, 09:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul Herber writes:
Most cyclists are also car drivers.
In the groups I ride with only one is not a car driver.

I think that might be true in areas like the home counties where
there are lots of leasure cyclists (like your "groups").
It certainly isn't true in London where most cyclists can't drive,
and cycle to work or as part of their work, not as "groups".
That probably applies in the other large cities in the UK too.

--
Andrew Gabriel