Old February 8th 19, 08:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bodywork

On 08/02/2019 19:24, Jim K.. wrote:
charles Wrote in message:
In article ,
soup wrote:
Someone has delicately scraped into my car . I noticed first the mirror
was knocked, there was also a V small paint scuff on the side.

Looks like the scuff was so gentle that there is no damage to the
actual metalwork but there is a piece of paint transference.

This mark will not come off with spit and rub. Is there anything I can
apply that will take this scuff paint off but leave the proper body
paint underneath unaffected?

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).

It's not diy, but there is a national franchise chain called Chips Away.
Locally they give god results.

What does He drive these days?

Fiat Panda GTi

Old February 8th 19, 09:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
charles Wrote in message:
In article ,
soup wrote:
Someone has delicately scraped into my car . I noticed first the mirror
was knocked, there was also a V small paint scuff on the side.

Looks like the scuff was so gentle that there is no damage to the
actual metalwork but there is a piece of paint transference.

This mark will not come off with spit and rub. Is there anything I can
apply that will take this scuff paint off but leave the proper body
paint underneath unaffected?

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).

It's not diy, but there is a national franchise chain called Chips Away.
Locally they give god results.

What does He drive these days?

Something IED proof because those damned rag head don't believe he can be a
god.

Old February 9th 19, 08:19 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

If your road is anything like mine its a nightmare for parked cars and the
local fire teams tell me that if they have to attend a fire here many cars
will get damaged. Half the problem is that the powers that be want to stop
cars, but the car makers want to sell them but the local planning regs do
not make sufficient parking for the number of houses, flats etc they build
so you can see the result all over the country.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old February 9th 19, 08:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2019 08:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
If your road is anything like mine its a nightmare for parked cars and the
local fire teams tell me that if they have to attend a fire here many cars
will get damaged. Half the problem is that the powers that be want to stop
cars, but the car makers want to sell them but the local planning regs do
not make sufficient parking for the number of houses, flats etc they build
so you can see the result all over the country.

I think local planning does make provisions for parking in new builds.
The problem is in streets built before car ownership was common place
especially where many houses were converted to flats for multiple
occupancy. I believe that my councils planning department will no longer
approve conversion of a house to flats in many areas unless the
developer makes provision for off road parking.

Old February 9th 19, 09:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2019 08:57, alan_m wrote:
On 09/02/2019 08:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
If your road is anything like mine its a nightmare for parked cars and
the
local fire teams tell me that if they have to attend a fire here many
cars
will get damaged. Half the problem is that the powers that be want to
stop
cars, but the car makers want to sell them but the local planning regs do
not make sufficient parking for the number of houses, flats etc they
build
so you can see the result all over the country.

I think local planning does make provisions for parking in new builds.

Never enough though.

For years they only allowed one space per household on many new estates
- to deliberately "encourage" people not to have cars. Of course that
was useless as most couldn't get to and from their workplaces; carry a
week's shopping for a family; get the kids to and from clubs and the
like without.

They may now be making sure that there is more parking now, but even
then it is often only two spaces and frequently one in front of the
other, so one car is blocked in by the other and to avoid that they park
one on the road still.

In reality, many households have a husband and wife, both working and
needing cars. These days, there are often one or more grown-up children
there as well, who cannot afford their own home yet, but also need cars
to be able to work and have a social life, while they build up a
sufficient deposit for their own home.

The problem is in streets built before car ownership was common place
especially where many houses were converted to flats for multiple
occupancy. I believe that my councils planning department will no longer
approve conversion of a house to flats in many areas unless the
developer makes provision for off road parking.

That is a good move!

SteveW

Old February 9th 19, 09:34 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K.. wrote:

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).

It's not diy, but there is a national franchise chain called Chips Away.
Locally they give god results.

What does He drive these days?

Don’t know but his son would have a something like a Nissan Qashqai,
.......because it is a crossover.

GH

Old February 9th 19, 09:35 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Not all.

Around here, social housing is provided in purposely "car free development"

http://www.carfreehousing.org/whatis.html

This means some local roads away from the complexes are even more
stressed with parking conflicts between near/far residents and
commuters, and requirements to get a parking permit to park outside ya
own house are ever-increasing.

Next move - ye pay extra rates to park in ya own drive...

--
Adrian C
Old February 9th 19, 09:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 February 2019 09:35:31 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

In already built up places with no room for the cars, there is simply no solution, unless one goes to the expense of constructing under-road parking tunnels. Any other proposed solution is not really one.

NT
Old February 9th 19, 09:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

On holidday in Amsterdam, the canal outside our hotel had been drained and
a multi-storey car park was being built downwards. The canal would be
refilled with water after construction finished.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old February 9th 19, 10:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Next move - ye pay extra rates to park in ya own drive...

In Nottingham, employers are charged for providing parking spaces to
their employees and it's mostly re-charged to the employees ... looks
like the idea is spreading

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47177240