Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Joining TV coax

On Friday, 8 February 2019 14:56:21 UTC, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, 8 February 2019 14:47:58 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

Do you have something against inline F-type female sockets?
Or do you already have a big bag of males?

Good point! I think I was just picturing the bag of plugs I had, and I'm not sure I even knew you could get inline females. Perhaps that's what I'll use as then it'll effectively just be the one connection.

I seem to be struggling to find them - do you have a link Martin?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2019 13:45, Mathew Newton wrote:
In the past I've always terminated both cables with F-Type male plugs and used a female-to-female coupler to join the two. Is there a better way, noting that this join will be under the floor and not readily accessible?

That would be my preferred way of joining. I would also wrap in self
amalgamating tape. You need to stretch the tape as you wind it around
the connection.

https://www.toolstation.com/self-ama...ir-tape/p55262

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Mathew Newton writes
On Friday, 8 February 2019 14:56:21 UTC, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, 8 February 2019 14:47:58 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

Do you have something against inline F-type female sockets?
Or do you already have a big bag of males?

Good point! I think I was just picturing the bag of plugs I had, and
I'm not sure I even knew you could get inline females. Perhaps that's
what I'll use as then it'll effectively just be the one connection.

I seem to be struggling to find them - do you have a link Martin?

They do exist - but the easiest way to find them is to catch a unicorn
or a hen with teeth, and they will show you where you can get them.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 12:12, Bill Wright wrote:

There's prejudice against soldering because it's a skill.

The skill with a Belling Lee coax connector was applying enough heat to
get the solder to flow without melting the plastic which seems to have a
melting point of a few degrees above ambient

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes
On 08/02/2019 12:12, Bill Wright wrote:

There's prejudice against soldering because it's a skill.

The skill with a Belling Lee coax connector was applying enough heat to
get the solder to flow without melting the plastic which seems to have
a melting point of a few degrees above ambient

Indeed.

But in many professional installations, no soldering was done, and the
coax inner was simply poked through the pin. In REALLY professional
installations, the coax inner was critically kinked before it was poked
through the pin - thus infinitely increasing the chances of it actually
making a satisfactory contact.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 15:59, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message ,
Mathew Newton writes
On Friday, 8 February 2019 14:56:21 UTC, Mathew NewtonÂ* wrote:
On Friday, 8 February 2019 14:47:58 UTC, Martin BrownÂ* wrote:

Do you have something against inline F-type female sockets?
Or do you already have a big bag of males?

Good point! I think I was just picturing the bag of plugs I had, and
I'm not sure I even knew you could get inline females. Perhaps that's
what I'll use as then it'll effectively just be the one connection.

I seem to be struggling to find them - do you have a link Martin?

They do exist -Â* but the easiest way to find them is to catch a unicorn
or a hen with teeth, and they will show you where you can get them.

and how to fit them? I can manage a screw-on F-type male (sometimes
even before I have to start repeating my curses) but I struggle to see
how a female could be anywhere near so simple and safe.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 13:31:32 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

[As the cable is still slightly greasy, it's sometimes a bit difficult
to get the SA tape 'started'.] I've had connections that, 30 years
later, have been just as shiny as the day I made them (no sign even of
tarnishing, let alone water ingress).

Can't think that the WD40 does much apart from making it harder to
start the SA tape. Had joints wrapped in SA tape outside for about 15
years without WD40 and like yours as bright and as clean as they day
they were wrapped.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 15:10, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, 8 February 2019 14:56:21 UTC, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, 8 February 2019 14:47:58 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

Do you have something against inline F-type female sockets?
Or do you already have a big bag of males?

Good point! I think I was just picturing the bag of plugs I had, and I'm not sure I even knew you could get inline females. Perhaps that's what I'll use as then it'll effectively just be the one connection.

I seem to be struggling to find them - do you have a link Martin?

Where is Maplin when you need them! RS or Rapid should have them but
minimum order charges apply so no use unless you need a bunch of stuff.

https://www.rapidonline.com/rvfm-cab...socket-16-0410

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 13:31:32 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

[As the cable is still slightly greasy, it's sometimes a bit difficult
to get the SA tape 'started'.] I've had connections that, 30 years
later, have been just as shiny as the day I made them (no sign even of
tarnishing, let alone water ingress).

Can't think that the WD40 does much apart from making it harder to
start the SA tape. Had joints wrapped in SA tape outside for about 15
years without WD40 and like yours as bright and as clean as they day
they were wrapped.

It just helps to 'kill' any moisture that might get in - or was there in
the first place.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

On 08/02/2019 15:10, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, 8 February 2019 14:56:21 UTC, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, 8 February 2019 14:47:58 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

Do you have something against inline F-type female sockets?
Or do you already have a big bag of males?

Good point! I think I was just picturing the bag of plugs I had, and I'm not sure I even knew you could get inline females. Perhaps that's what I'll use as then it'll effectively just be the one connection.

I seem to be struggling to find them - do you have a link Martin?

Where is Maplin when you need them! RS or Rapid should have them but
minimum order charges apply so no use unless you need a bunch of stuff.

https://www.rapidonline.com/rvfm-cab...socket-16-0410

No! That is Belling lee style coax female!

For joining two F cmale connectors together you need one of
these:

https://www.toolstation.com/inline-coupler/p97650

Note that is a pack of 10 but is considerably cheaper than a
pack of two from Wickes (same owner!)

If you just need one, you might do better at a diy shop or, if
you bump into a VM or satellite instal crew, you might get one
for nothing!

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 14:47, Martin Brown wrote:

It is surprising what you can get away with in practice.

Until one day you don't.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 14:56, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, 8 February 2019 14:47:58 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

Do you have something against inline F-type female sockets?
Or do you already have a big bag of males?

Good point! I think I was just picturing the bag of plugs I had, and I'm not sure I even knew you could get inline females. Perhaps that's what I'll use as then it'll effectively just be the one connection.

No forget it. They're a nuisance.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

DIY aerial and dish installs fall into two categories, in general. The
first is that necessary items and procedures are omitted.Â* The second is
that unnecessary items and procedures are included. Examples are, coax
not taped to the mast and coax taped to the mast every two inches.

Round here the pro installers seem to use elaborately spaced patterns of
insulating tape, presumably so they can differentiate their own ****-ups
from competitors' ****-ups without breaking out the ladders?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Bill Wright wrote:

DIY aerial and dish installs fall into two categories, in general.
The first is that necessary items and procedures are omitted.* The
second is that unnecessary items and procedures are included.
Examples are, coax not taped to the mast and coax taped to the mast
every two inches.

Round here the pro installers seem to use elaborately spaced patterns
of insulating tape, presumably so they can differentiate their own
****-ups from competitors' ****-ups without breaking out the ladders?

Maybe not. Securing (especially foam or semi-airspaced) coax with tape,
cable ties, clips can cause slight crushing. This makes the cable very
slightly capacitive at these points, and if it is done at regular
intervals, each slight mismatch can add up and cause a suckout. So maybe
the professionals are simply demonstrating their 'professionalism' by
avoiding even the slightest possibility of the performance of their
installation being impaired?
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mathew Newton wrote:
On Thursday, 7 February 2019 21:40:29 UTC, Ian Jackson wrote:

Why not just do it the easy - and proper - way, ie as in the original
post, with (as subsequently suggested, if it might get damp) either
heat-shrink or self-amalgamating tape cocooning the connectors.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Will go with the F-type plugs and
connector. Whilst the connection will be in the dry I may well
heat-shrink it too for completeness.

Ordinary heat shrink isn't waterproof. You need glue lined for that.

But self amalgamating tape is the normal way.

--
*DON'T SWEAT THE PETTY THINGS AND DON'T PET THE SWEATY THINGS.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mathew Newton wrote:
On Thursday, 7 February 2019 21:40:29 UTC, Ian Jackson wrote:

Why not just do it the easy - and proper - way, ie as in the original
post, with (as subsequently suggested, if it might get damp) either
heat-shrink or self-amalgamating tape cocooning the connectors.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Will go with the F-type plugs and
connector. Whilst the connection will be in the dry I may well
heat-shrink it too for completeness.

Ordinary heat shrink isn't waterproof. You need glue lined for that.

You can improve the performance in that respect a bit if you shave off
some shards of glue stick and poke em up into the sleeving each end
before you heat it. that then fills and consolidates it at the end and
seals it to the wires.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 February 2019 17:09:37 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

https://www.rapidonline.com/rvfm-cab...socket-16-0410

I'd prefer to stick to F-type connectors as I feel they make a more positive connection.

I'll go with my usual method mentioned in the OP; thanks everyone for the discussion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2019 13:43, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Bill Wright wrote:

DIY aerial and dish installs fall into two categories, in general.
The first is that necessary items and procedures are omitted.Â* The
second isÂ* that unnecessary items and procedures are included.
Examples are, coaxÂ* not taped to the mast and coax taped to the mast
every two inches.

Round here the pro installers seem to use elaborately spaced patterns
of insulating tape, presumably so they can differentiate their own
****-ups from competitors' ****-ups without breaking out the ladders?

Maybe not. Securing (especially foam or semi-airspaced) coax with tape,
cable ties, clips can cause slight crushing. This makes the cable very
slightly capacitive at these points, and if it is done at regular
intervals, each slight mismatch can add up and cause a suckout. So maybe
the professionals are simply demonstrating their 'professionalism' by
avoiding even the slightest possibility of the performance of their
installation being impaired?

Nah.

Bill