Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY chimney sweeping

Has anyone acquired / had a go with one of these-type things?

https://tinyurl.com/yaluraxv

(That's a 232-character URL at Amazon, reduced by TinyURL.)

Background: we have a small woodstove, connected to a traditional 60s
semi's fireplace, chimney pronounced fit for use by the stove fitter,
i.e. no stove liner.

Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Feb 2019 20:40:24 +0000, Another John wrote:

Has anyone acquired / had a go with one of these-type things?

https://tinyurl.com/yaluraxv

(That's a 232-character URL at Amazon, reduced by TinyURL.)

Background: we have a small woodstove, connected to a traditional 60s
semi's fireplace, chimney pronounced fit for use by the stove fitter,
i.e. no stove liner.

Cheers John

I have swept chimneys in the past with traditional brushes, and the last
time we had our stove chimney swept the sweep used traditional brushes.

Some sets are viewable below the item you linked.

My biased view is that this is just a gimmick because sweeping the
traditional way with fibreglass poles and a densely bristled brush seems
to work fine.

No fighting with a power drill that is trying to wind up a long flexible
set of rods. Consider what would happen if it did manage to wind up the
rods and then the whole shooting match wanted to unwind.

YMMV of course.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 03/02/2019 21:14, Tim+ wrote:
Another John Wrote in message:
Has anyone acquired / had a go with one of these-type things?https://tinyurl.com/yaluraxv(That's a 232-character URL at Amazon, reduced by TinyURL.)Background: we have a small woodstove, connected to a traditional 60s semi's fireplace, chimney pronounced fit for use by the stove fitter, i.e. no stove liner.CheersJohn

Seem expensive compared to a convetional set of rods & brush.
Can't see spinning it with a drill adding that much compared
with manual manipulation.

Tim

I see in the reviews one had it come apart inside the chimney.......Ouch!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/yaluraxv

(That's a 232-character URL at Amazon, reduced by TinyURL.)

No need to use shortening services for amazon URLs, just chop the
unnecessary crap off after the ASIN id, so that

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079YPSKGH/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B079YPSKGH&pd_r d_w=jE9GN&pf_rd_p=8e5be0e3-b258-4b06-8b6e-695b24f935a4&pd_rd_wg=yIEbe&pf_rd_r=KBRNKMBZHZF7CB T4MYQN&pd_rd_r=4d3fe59a-27f3-11e9-8d9f-1198ada0eba1

becomes

https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B079YPSKGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 3 February 2019 20:40:28 UTC, Another John wrote:
Has anyone acquired / had a go with one of these-type things?

https://tinyurl.com/yaluraxv

(That's a 232-character URL at Amazon, reduced by TinyURL.)

Background: we have a small woodstove, connected to a traditional 60s
semi's fireplace, chimney pronounced fit for use by the stove fitter,
i.e. no stove liner.

Cheers
John

No good at all for wood stoves as it won't remove the tar/creosote.
I have a metal chimney. I remove the top section and scrape the tar out.
The tar is all in the last foot or so. (Where the flue gases meet the cold air.)

But see this. Various ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...t+of+a+chimney

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 3 February 2019 20:40:28 UTC, Another John wrote:
Has anyone acquired / had a go with one of these-type things?

https://tinyurl.com/yaluraxv

(That's a 232-character URL at Amazon, reduced by TinyURL.)

Background: we have a small woodstove, connected to a traditional 60s
semi's fireplace, chimney pronounced fit for use by the stove fitter,
i.e. no stove liner.

Cheers
John

What you need is a good blaze once a week.
Get a good fire going and then put some newspaper in on top.
Burns the tars off of the chimney.
If your liner has no insulation between it and the masonry, you will always have problems.

Don't do this if you have a big tar accumulation, you could have a major fire.
It needs doing regularly to stop big build ups.

These crinkly liners are a major problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes indeed. Apparently the chimneys in this ouse having a crank in the
middle over an alcove can be a nightmare to get swept and indeed get the
brushes out of. Luckily its not in use and I have thought several time of
getting them removed but the chaos and rebuilding all for an extra foot of
floor space is far too costly.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"David" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079YPSK...=1&pd_rd_i=B07
9YPSKGH&pd_rd_w=jE9GN&pf_rd_p=8e5be0e3-b258-4b06-8b6e-695b24f935a4&pd_rd_wg=yI
Ebe&pf_rd_r=KBRNKMBZHZF7CBT4MYQN&pd_rd_r=4d3fe59a-27f3-11e9-8d9f-1198ada0eba1

becomes

https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B079YPSKGH

Eee well you live and learn! Thanks a lot for that Andy.

Re the rest of the discussion:

- Our woodstove is small, and fits into the original fireplace of this
60s house. Hence, not only is the aperture to the chimney very small,
but there is an immediate elbow or two above it. Traditional sweep
brushes will not fit (I know I can get smaller, but...); and
traditional rods will not manage the initial twists (I have some; I
tried them: too stiff).

- Our neighbours had a professional sweep in last year, who said that he
now only used the "whip" type (as he called it): faster, and actually
better.... is what he said (but then, he would).

- I'm asking here, precisely because of the reservations mentioned so
far :-)

Thanks chaps
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:

Another John wrote:

[...]

Some similar problems in my house. Standard brush was too big so I just
trimmed the bristles. I also found it was a lot easier to pass the rods
through the chimney without the brush. Im lucky in the the chimney top is
easy to access so I push the rods up €śbackwards€ť and fit the brush to the
bottom and then seal up the fireplace. I can then sweep upwards from the
roof (much easier to pull a brush through a twisty chimney than push).

Dont know if any of these suggestions are helpful but you never know...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 23:18:28 +0000, ss wrote:

Seem expensive compared to a convetional set of rods & brush.

Conventional rods and brush won't go past an elbow, as the OP stated.

Can't see spinning it with a drill adding that much compared
with manual manipulation.

Makes the relatively floppy "bristles" spin out to reach the sides of
the flue.

I see in the reviews one had it come apart inside the
chimney.......Ouch!

Operator error. Didn't make sure that all the joints had properly
latched before shoving it up the chimney. The fact that he had to
then modify the latches to make them work reliably is more telling.

I'd also want a good quality all round crimp between the metal end
and rod, possibly even a rivet passing through the sleeve and rod
end. Some of the end to rod connections on some of those on Amazon
don't look very good to me.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay Wrote in message:
Another John wrote:
Has anyone acquired / had a go with one of these-type things?

https://tinyurl.com/yaluraxv

(That's a 232-character URL at Amazon, reduced by TinyURL.)

Background: we have a small woodstove, connected to a traditional 60s
semi's fireplace, chimney pronounced fit for use by the stove fitter,
i.e. no stove liner.

Cheers
John

I?ve swept a couple of chimneys, when we moved into new (to us) houses with
gas fires just to be sure they were clean. I just hired bushes for a few
hours. It doesn?t take long and, with a gas fire, it is a one of job.

Traditional brushes and rods are easy enough to use.

In traditional easy to sweep chimneys? NSS!
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/