Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to buy 2.5 metre lengths of studding?

Can anone suggest where I might buy a couple of 2.5 metre long lengths
of (something like) M10 studding? I can find 1 metre lengths by the
dozen, but nothing longer.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
Can anone suggest where I might buy a couple of 2.5 metre long lengths
of (something like) M10 studding? I can find 1 metre lengths by the
dozen, but nothing longer.

I've found some at WDS Ltd. but they don't do 2.5 metre long
stainless and I'd really prefer stainless if I can find it.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

Can anone suggest where I might buy a couple of 2.5 metre long lengths
of (something like) M10 studding?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLTHREAD/290773987743
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2019 11:37, Chris Green wrote:
Can anone suggest where I might buy a couple of 2.5 metre long lengths
of (something like) M10 studding? I can find 1 metre lengths by the
dozen, but nothing longer.

try TLC-Direct

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green Wrote in message:
Can anone suggest where I might buy a couple of 2.5 metre long lengths
of (something like) M10 studding? I can find 1 metre lengths by the
dozen, but nothing longer.

Buy couplers & join em together?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Can anone suggest where I might buy a couple of 2.5 metre long lengths
of (something like) M10 studding?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLTHREAD/290773987743

Brilliant, thank you. I don't know why my search didn't find that.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 02/02/2019 12:14, Chris Green wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Can anone suggest where I might buy a couple of 2.5 metre long lengths
of (something like) M10 studding?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLTHREAD/290773987743

Brilliant, thank you. I don't know why my search didn't find that.

The TLC price is only 10% of that, but probably not stainless.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/UVTR3.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2019 11:37, Chris Green wrote:
Can anone suggest where I might buy a couple of 2.5 metre long lengths
of (something like) M10 studding? I can find 1 metre lengths by the
dozen, but nothing longer.

In the 1970's, a little after the repairs had been done to York Minster
Tower we had a very entertaining talk at work from a guy from GKN, who
had supplied the fixings. I forget the details, but IIRC it was 1 inch
316 stainless studding which they could make in lengths of something
like two metres, with a number of lengths connected by simple sleeve
couplings. Something like two inch holes, with a counterbore at each end
for nuts and washers, filled with stone plugs. They were mostly if not
all horizontal, relying on the tensile force to hold together the cracks
caused by differential sinking of the four corners.

This was only part of the talk, we had a special interest in fasteners
at the time because they were rusting away in Magnox Power Stations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
writes
Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Can anone suggest where I might buy a couple of 2.5 metre long lengths
of (something like) M10 studding?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLTHREAD/290773987743

Brilliant, thank you. I don't know why my search didn't find that.

The TLC price is only 10% of that, but probably not stainless.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/UVTR3.html

Just for the record, now that suppliers have been found, when I needed
long lengths of stainless studding years ago, I found some ship's
chandlers in Liverpool that kept large stocks.
I've no idea if they are still there, but it was quite an interesting
place. Hidden amongst all the common things like bulk loo rolls etc.,
there were quite a few bits and pieces that, presumably, were aimed at
ships engineers, or good to have for a bodge repair at sea.

--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 02/02/2019 13:12, newshound wrote:

This was only part of the talk, we had a special interest in fasteners
at the time because they were rusting away in Magnox Power Stations.

Were the Magnox fasteners made from stainless steel, yet still rusting?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2019 11:36, GB wrote:
On 02/02/2019 13:12, newshound wrote:

This was only part of the talk, we had a special interest in fasteners
at the time because they were rusting away in Magnox Power Stations.

Were the Magnox fasteners made from stainless steel, yet still rusting?

No, they were mostly very boring low carbon and low alloy. The problem
was that, rather than forming a somewhat protective oxide as had been
anticipated (giving a parabolic growth rate) an unexpected phenomenon
known as breakaway corrosion occurred which meant the films grew
linearly with time.

This article by three of my old colleagues talks a bit about it.

https://inis.iaea.org/search/search....g_q=RN:7230486
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/02/2019 14:55, newshound wrote:
On 03/02/2019 11:36, GB wrote:
On 02/02/2019 13:12, newshound wrote:

This was only part of the talk, we had a special interest in
fasteners at the time because they were rusting away in Magnox Power
Stations.

Were the Magnox fasteners made from stainless steel, yet still rusting?

No, they were mostly very boring low carbon and low alloy. The problem
was that, rather than forming a somewhat protective oxide as had been
anticipated (giving a parabolic growth rate) an unexpected phenomenon
known as breakaway corrosion occurred which meant the films grew
linearly with time.

This article by three of my old colleagues talks a bit about it.

https://inis.iaea.org/search/search....g_q=RN:7230486

Very interesting. It's a shame the research was only done after the
horse had bolted, so to speak.

Studding wall - New Prefabricated System? Peter Hemmings UK diy 11 March 20th 06 10:54 PM
Gaspipe behind studding andrewpreece UK diy 8 February 16th 05 04:31 PM
studding interval Mike UK diy 15 September 2nd 04 02:02 PM
Studding Out Doorway Eric Cartman UK diy 1 August 24th 04 06:39 PM
Plasterboard and studding wall Smithtv UK diy 1 October 13th 03 01:56 PM