Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Where to buy 2.5 metre lengths of studding?

On 02/02/2019 11:37, Chris Green wrote:
Can anone suggest where I might buy a couple of 2.5 metre long lengths
of (something like) M10 studding? I can find 1 metre lengths by the
dozen, but nothing longer.

In the 1970's, a little after the repairs had been done to York Minster
Tower we had a very entertaining talk at work from a guy from GKN, who
had supplied the fixings. I forget the details, but IIRC it was 1 inch
316 stainless studding which they could make in lengths of something
like two metres, with a number of lengths connected by simple sleeve
couplings. Something like two inch holes, with a counterbore at each end
for nuts and washers, filled with stone plugs. They were mostly if not
all horizontal, relying on the tensile force to hold together the cracks
caused by differential sinking of the four corners.

This was only part of the talk, we had a special interest in fasteners
at the time because they were rusting away in Magnox Power Stations.