Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Speedfit to cap gas?

Someone has written 'gas pipe under floorboard' on the upstairs wall.
You pull the board up and there it is, with a speedfit cap on.

That can't be OK, can it? Or can it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2019 20:07, R D S wrote:
Someone has written 'gas pipe under floorboard' on the upstairs wall.
You pull the board up and there it is, with a speedfit cap on.

That can't be OK, can it? Or can it?

No.

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends whether its still connected to a supply I guess.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 01/02/2019 20:07, R D S wrote:
Someone has written 'gas pipe under floorboard' on the upstairs wall. You
pull the board up and there it is, with a speedfit cap on.

That can't be OK, can it? Or can it?

No.

--
Email does not work

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2019 20:20, Tim Watts wrote:
On 01/02/2019 20:07, R D S wrote:
Someone has written 'gas pipe under floorboard' on the upstairs wall.
You pull the board up and there it is, with a speedfit cap on.

That can't be OK, can it? Or can it?

No.

It's certainly not ideal, but the standard cooker bayonet fitting relies
on O rings to seal as well.

Best, obviously, is a soldered on cap. How about a copper push fit? I
have always found them pretty secure.

Compression fitting? Allowed on gas fires.

Taper threads with PTFE? Fibre plus sealant? (Still needs soldering,
obviously).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

R D S wrote:

Someone has written 'gas pipe under floorboard' on the upstairs wall.
You pull the board up and there it is, with a speedfit cap on.
That can't be OK, can it? Or can it?

No.

How about a copper push fit?

Not allowed either.

https://gasproducts.co.uk/plumbing/tectite-sprint-push-fit-fittings/tectite-sprint-push-fit-15mm-stop-end.html

"These fittings are WRAS approved products and must be used for water only."

Makes you wonder why a company called Hamilton Gas Products stocks them...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2019 20:07, R D S wrote:
Someone has written 'gas pipe under floorboard' on the upstairs wall.
You pull the board up and there it is, with a speedfit cap on.

That can't be OK, can it? Or can it?

Its not considered and appropriate fitting for gas. Will it leak?
probably not. However its performance in a fire would be very poor.

Compression stop end, or solder fitting stop end would be the fittings
of choice.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2019 20:07, R D S wrote:
Someone has written 'gas pipe under floorboard' on the upstairs wall.
You pull the board up and there it is, with a speedfit cap on.

That can't be OK, can it? Or can it?

No.

It's certainly not ideal, but the standard cooker bayonet fitting relies
on O rings to seal as well.

I think you'll find in the gas regs that it's positively verboten, not
"not ideal".

The only place plastic pipes (and indirectly, fittings) are permitted in
outdoors as in the main supply. And cooker hoses, and as you say, the
bayonet connector - but those are specifically regulated.

Best, obviously, is a soldered on cap. How about a copper push fit? I
have always found them pretty secure.

No.

Compression fitting? Allowed on gas fires.

If accessible, yes. I'm not 100% sure if "under an accessible floor" is
prohibited though - I default to "only soldered copper or iron under
floors etc".

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2019 20:07, R D S wrote:
Someone has written 'gas pipe under floorboard' on the upstairs wall.
You pull the board up and there it is, with a speedfit cap on.

That can't be OK, can it? Or can it?

No.

It's certainly not ideal, but the standard cooker bayonet fitting relies
on O rings to seal as well.

I think you'll find in the gas regs that it's positively verboten, not
"not ideal".

The only place plastic pipes (and indirectly, fittings) are permitted in
outdoors as in the main supply. And cooker hoses, and as you say, the
bayonet connector - but those are specifically regulated.

Cooker hoses are stainless steel hoses, with a rubber covering.
Rubber hoses are not permitted (even though bunsen burners have them;-).

Anaconda (flexible) pipes are also popular with installers who need to
route 28mm (equivalent) pipe through convoluted places. They are also
stainless steel hoses but with a PVC covering and special termination
fittings. Very expensive, unless you are paying for an installer's time.

Best, obviously, is a soldered on cap. How about a copper push fit? I
have always found them pretty secure.

No.

Compression fitting? Allowed on gas fires.

If accessible, yes. I'm not 100% sure if "under an accessible floor" is
prohibited though - I default to "only soldered copper or iron under
floors etc".

Compression are not allowed under a floor. I'm not sure it's just an
access issue, but also the possibility of a tiny leak in a confined
space. There are also requirements on venting compartments of certain
sizes containing gas pipes.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2019 20:07, R D S wrote:
Someone has written 'gas pipe under floorboard' on the upstairs
wall. You pull the board up and there it is, with a speedfit cap on.

That can't be OK, can it? Or can it?

No.

It's certainly not ideal, but the standard cooker bayonet fitting
relies on O rings to seal as well.

I think you'll find in the gas regs that it's positively verboten, not
"not ideal".

The only place plastic pipes (and indirectly, fittings) are permitted in
outdoors as in the main supply. And cooker hoses, and as you say, the
bayonet connector - but those are specifically regulated.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply they were legal, just that having
discovered it the risk is not particularly severe. So, for example, if
there was an opportunity to disconnect the run at the "source" and cap
it off in (say) a month, then I would leave it rather than trying a
legal fix. A "time at risk" argument.

Perhaps the bayonet connector has viton O-rings which have better high
temperature performance than nitrile.

Best, obviously, is a soldered on cap. How about a copper push fit? I
have always found them pretty secure.

No.

Compression fitting? Allowed on gas fires.

If accessible, yes. I'm not 100% sure if "under an accessible floor" is
prohibited though - I default to "only soldered copper or iron under
floors etc".

No dispute there!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Anaconda (flexible) pipes are also popular with installers who need to
route 28mm (equivalent) pipe through convoluted places. They are also
stainless steel hoses but with a PVC covering and special termination
fittings. Very expensive

When re-fitting parents kitchen recently, they'd previously had
free-standing gas cooker, now gas hob and built-in waist height fan
oven, so the old bayonet went and rather than having to work out exactly
where to position rigid pipework for connecting the hob, used one of these

https://screwfix.com/p/hobflex/5802v

Just fix a stub of 15mm pipe pointing downwards in approximate position,
then the anaconda droops down and loops back up to screw into the hob,
very easy.