Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Speedfit to cap gas?

On 02/02/2019 10:40, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/02/2019 09:02, newshound wrote:
On 01/02/2019 20:20, Tim Watts wrote:
On 01/02/2019 20:07, R D S wrote:
Someone has written 'gas pipe under floorboard' on the upstairs
wall. You pull the board up and there it is, with a speedfit cap on.

That can't be OK, can it? Or can it?

No.

It's certainly not ideal, but the standard cooker bayonet fitting
relies on O rings to seal as well.

I think you'll find in the gas regs that it's positively verboten, not
"not ideal".

The only place plastic pipes (and indirectly, fittings) are permitted in
outdoors as in the main supply. And cooker hoses, and as you say, the
bayonet connector - but those are specifically regulated.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply they were legal, just that having
discovered it the risk is not particularly severe. So, for example, if
there was an opportunity to disconnect the run at the "source" and cap
it off in (say) a month, then I would leave it rather than trying a
legal fix. A "time at risk" argument.

Perhaps the bayonet connector has viton O-rings which have better high
temperature performance than nitrile.

Best, obviously, is a soldered on cap. How about a copper push fit? I
have always found them pretty secure.

No.

Compression fitting? Allowed on gas fires.

If accessible, yes. I'm not 100% sure if "under an accessible floor" is
prohibited though - I default to "only soldered copper or iron under
floors etc".

No dispute there!