Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Kitchen lighting

On 31/01/2019 21:03, R D S wrote:
We've a small kitchen in an extension, approx 3x2m, it's about to be
gutted and we're looking at lighting options.

I'd stick a 5 foot LED striplight in it but that's not going to get past
managaement,she's talking about spots.

I'm not a fan of spotlights, i've never felt like they fill an area with
light. Am I wrong, are some better than others?

General lighting opinions appreciated.

Under cupboard and above cupboard LED strips are must theses days to the
obligatory spot lights.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2019 21:24, ARW wrote:
On 31/01/2019 21:03, R D S wrote:
We've a small kitchen in an extension, approx 3x2m, it's about to be
gutted and we're looking at lighting options.

I'd stick a 5 foot LED striplight in it but that's not going to get
past managaement,she's talking about spots.

I'm not a fan of spotlights, i've never felt like they fill an area
with light. Am I wrong, are some better than others?

General lighting opinions appreciated.

Under cupboard and above cupboard LED strips are must theses days to the
obligatory spot lights.

I fitted 60W warm white above and 60W cool white under a 3m run of
cupboards in the summer and they're bloody brilliant (sic) for ageing eyes

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 31/01/2019 22:08, Andy Burns wrote:
ARW wrote:

Under cupboard and above cupboard LED strips are must theses days to
the obligatory spot lights.

And kickboard LED strips, surely?

Actually, they do work well.

I never saw the point of those mini 1W LED spots that people used to fit.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2019 21:24, ARW wrote:
On 31/01/2019 21:03, R D S wrote:
We've a small kitchen in an extension, approx 3x2m, it's about to be
gutted and we're looking at lighting options.

I'd stick a 5 foot LED striplight in it but that's not going to get
past managaement,she's talking about spots.

I'm not a fan of spotlights, i've never felt like they fill an area
with light. Am I wrong, are some better than others?

General lighting opinions appreciated.

Under cupboard and above cupboard LED strips are must theses days to the
obligatory spot lights.

Would one tend to wire them into the lighting? Or stick them on a plug?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S writes:
On 31/01/2019 21:24, ARW wrote:
Under cupboard and above cupboard LED strips are must theses days to the
obligatory spot lights.

Would one tend to wire them into the lighting? Or stick them on a plug?

I wire them into the lighting, switched by the door (but
separate switch for above and below cupboard lights).
I recess klik lighting sockets into the walls above and
just below the cupboards to plug them in to.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2019 20:39, R D S wrote:
On 31/01/2019 21:24, ARW wrote:
On 31/01/2019 21:03, R D S wrote:
We've a small kitchen in an extension, approx 3x2m, it's about to be
gutted and we're looking at lighting options.

I'd stick a 5 foot LED striplight in it but that's not going to get
past managaement,she's talking about spots.

I'm not a fan of spotlights, i've never felt like they fill an area
with light. Am I wrong, are some better than others?

General lighting opinions appreciated.

Under cupboard and above cupboard LED strips are must theses days to
the obligatory spot lights.

Would one tend to wire them into the lighting? Or stick them on a plug?

As ours were added later, they are on a fused spur added next to a
socket on the kitchen ring. If I'd planned for them years earlier,
they'd have been on the lighting and with two or three gang switch at
the kitchen doorways.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 05/02/2019 21:17, Steve Walker wrote:
On 05/02/2019 20:39, R D S wrote:
On 31/01/2019 21:24, ARW wrote:
On 31/01/2019 21:03, R D S wrote:
We've a small kitchen in an extension, approx 3x2m, it's about to be
gutted and we're looking at lighting options.

I'd stick a 5 foot LED striplight in it but that's not going to get
past managaement,she's talking about spots.

I'm not a fan of spotlights, i've never felt like they fill an area
with light. Am I wrong, are some better than others?

General lighting opinions appreciated.

Under cupboard and above cupboard LED strips are must theses days to
the obligatory spot lights.

Would one tend to wire them into the lighting? Or stick them on a plug?

As ours were added later, they are on a fused spur added next to a
socket on the kitchen ring. If I'd planned for them years earlier,
they'd have been on the lighting and with two or three gang switch at
the kitchen doorways.

On the lighting circuit.

With a 6 gang light switch if needs must.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2019 20:39, R D S wrote:
On 31/01/2019 21:24, ARW wrote:
On 31/01/2019 21:03, R D S wrote:
[...]

Prefer the Hue system which allows the lights
to be completely automatic using a movement
sensor and you welcome to have different lighting
arrangements based on time of day etc too.

And to have any switches you like anywhere with no
wires to the switches at all if you still need switches.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 12:51:02 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

With a 6 gang light switch if needs must.

Prefer the Hue system

I, like many others, prefer you to shut your stupid senile gob, you
obnoxious senile pest!

--
Cursitor Doom about Rot Speed:
"I'm not the least surprised. The man is a conspicuous and unashamed
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2019 20:39, R D S wrote:
On 31/01/2019 21:24, ARW wrote:
On 31/01/2019 21:03, R D S wrote:
[...]

Are the scrawny tails on the LED driver a concern? Should there be
something between these and the 5A?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 05/02/2019 20:39, R D S wrote:
On 31/01/2019 21:24, ARW wrote:
On 31/01/2019 21:03, R D S wrote:
[...]

Depends. Has the driver got a CE mark on it and if so is it the European
one or the Chinese one:-)

--
Adam