Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Underlay for engineered wood flooring

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of underlay for floating engineered wood flooring on a concrete base?

From some cursory reading it seems that there are varying thicknesses, tog ratings, sound insulation etc and of course price. My initial thoughts are that a decent thickness and tog rating could be beneficial on a ground floor, however I wondered if this would lead to sponginess/springiness underfoot? Perhaps it's a good thing having some 'give' and it may make it a bit quieter to walk on? Speaking of sound, I am assuming the 'sound deadening' underlays are more to minimise transmission of noise *through* the underlay (to rooms below) and not for reducing floor-related noise within the room itself?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2019 21:02, Mathew Newton wrote:
Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of underlay for floating engineered wood flooring on a concrete base?

From some cursory reading it seems that there are varying thicknesses, tog ratings, sound insulation etc and of course price. My initial thoughts are that a decent thickness and tog rating could be beneficial on a ground floor, however I wondered if this would lead to sponginess/springiness underfoot? Perhaps it's a good thing having some 'give' and it may make it a bit quieter to walk on? Speaking of sound, I am assuming the 'sound deadening' underlays are more to minimise transmission of noise *through* the underlay (to rooms below) and not for reducing floor-related noise within the room itself?

I used one of the better ones - it is soft, but the floor is not spongy.
The wood evens the load out to the point where it cannot easily compress
a larger area.

I recommend a vapour barrier - some of the underlays have a plastic film
to act as a barrier and it's a good idea to tape these joints.

Check the subfloor for flatness with a 4ft level - you might need some
1mm and 2mm card handy to pack out low spots (happened on every floor
I've ever laid).

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Mathew Newton writes
Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of underlay for floating
engineered wood flooring on a concrete base?

From some cursory reading it seems that there are varying thicknesses,
tog ratings, sound insulation etc and of course price. My initial
thoughts are that a decent thickness and tog rating could be beneficial
on a ground floor, however I wondered if this would lead to
sponginess/springiness underfoot? Perhaps it's a good thing having some
'give' and it may make it a bit quieter to walk on? Speaking of sound,
I am assuming the 'sound deadening' underlays are more to minimise
transmission of noise *through* the underlay (to rooms below) and not
for reducing floor-related noise within the room itself?

The professional who fitted our engineered Oak over screed and wet
underfloor heating used a polythene backed 3mm foam. No issues over 9
years use.

Ground floor and solid concrete sub base so no noticeable noise.
The cottage has an extension with screed over block and beam. The tiled
area *thumps* a bit if you walk heavily.

Upstairs, I used 22mm grooved chipboard and aluminium spreader plates,
https://www.screwfix.com/p/polyolefi...rlay-15m/7260r
topped with 12mm hardwood ply and low tog underlay and carpet. Noise
free:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2019 11:12, Tim Lamb wrote:
The professional who fitted our engineered Oak over screed and wet
underfloor heating used a polythene backed 3mm foam. No issues over 9
years use.

I used that and its OK after 16 years.

Josef Stalin