Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Polishing up varnished kitchen units

In MIL's kitchen, there are varnished wooden units. About 20 years old.

The varnish could do with some livening up, generally. Also, around the
sink, there have been some water splashes that have left lighter patches.

The plan is to do the best I can in say an hour, ie I am not going to
try stripping it or anything like that. I was thinking of just going
over it with wax.

Could the clever people here guide me what type of wax is best for this?
Or should I use something different?

Also, should I go for clear wax, or wax about the same colour as what's
there, or go for something a bit darker to cover up the water damage?

For polishing it, can I just stick a duster over an orbital sander?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
In MIL's kitchen, there are varnished wooden units. About 20 years old.

The varnish could do with some livening up, generally. Also, around the
sink, there have been some water splashes that have left lighter patches.

The plan is to do the best I can in say an hour, ie I am not going to
try stripping it or anything like that. I was thinking of just going
over it with wax.

Could the clever people here guide me what type of wax is best for this?
Or should I use something different?

Also, should I go for clear wax, or wax about the same colour as what's
there, or go for something a bit darker to cover up the water damage?

For polishing it, can I just stick a duster over an orbital sander?

May we infer that MIL fancies a new kitchen?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/01/2019 18:03, Jim K.. wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
In MIL's kitchen, there are varnished wooden units. About 20 years old.

The varnish could do with some livening up, generally. Also, around the
sink, there have been some water splashes that have left lighter patches.

The plan is to do the best I can in say an hour, ie I am not going to
try stripping it or anything like that. I was thinking of just going
over it with wax.

Could the clever people here guide me what type of wax is best for this?
Or should I use something different?

Also, should I go for clear wax, or wax about the same colour as what's
there, or go for something a bit darker to cover up the water damage?

For polishing it, can I just stick a duster over an orbital sander?

May we infer that MIL fancies a new kitchen?

That was my first thought.

But she is probably old so why not make a coffin out of the old kitchen
units?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 19/01/2019 18:03, Jim K.. wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
[...]

Yes - ideally waiting until after she's popped her clogs.

Two old birds with one stone?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/01/2019 18:58, Jim K.. wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 19/01/2019 18:03, Jim K.. wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
[...]

I think that planning of such events for a MiL should begin straight away.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 January 2019 19:22:13 UTC, ARW wrote:
I think that planning of such events for a MiL should begin straight away.

Before meeting the girl, in fact.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 19/01/2019 18:58, Jim K.. wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 19/01/2019 18:03, Jim K.. wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
[...]

Subtle measuring & numbering of certain doors whilst whistling &
smiling nonchalantly if not suspiciously?

Actually that could be easily disguised as part of the ostensive
(cough) "improvements"....

I suppose a lifesize Sharpie outline along a worktop might be a
touch too obvious ?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
In MIL's kitchen, there are varnished wooden units. About 20 years old.

The varnish could do with some livening up, generally. Also, around the
sink, there have been some water splashes that have left lighter patches.

The plan is to do the best I can in say an hour, ie I am not going to
try stripping it or anything like that. I was thinking of just going
over it with wax.

Could the clever people here guide me what type of wax is best for this?
Or should I use something different?

Also, should I go for clear wax, or wax about the same colour as what's
there, or go for something a bit darker to cover up the water damage?

For polishing it, can I just stick a duster over an orbital sander?

I used 'Orange Oil Woodpolish' from Lakeland on our pine kichen cabinets
(30 years old) worked wonders.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2019 17:17, GB wrote:
In MIL's kitchen, there are varnished wooden units. About 20 years old.

The varnish could do with some livening up, generally. Also, around the
sink, there have been some water splashes that have left lighter patches.

The plan is to do the best I can in say an hour, ie I am not going to
try stripping it or anything like that. I was thinking of just going
over it with wax.

Could the clever people here guide me what type of wax is best for this?
Or should I use something different?

Also, should I go for clear wax, or wax about the same colour as what's
there, or go for something a bit darker to cover up the water damage?

For polishing it, can I just stick a duster over an orbital sander?

applying a wax, possibly coloured, with 0000 wire wool then buffing with
a soft cloth should work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 January 2019 17:17:40 UTC, GB wrote:
The plan is to do the best I can in say an hour, ie I am not going to
try stripping it or anything like that. I was thinking of just going
over it with wax.

It may be surprising how much difference a good clean makes.

Also if you're feeling extravagant, paint the ceiling, and buy her a brighter LED lightbulb. Borrow one from the stairs if you're not worried about her falling down and having to move in with you to be looked after.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 17:17:34 +0000, GB wrote:

The plan is to do the best I can in say an hour, ie I am not going to
try stripping it or anything like that. I was thinking of just going
over it with wax.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renuwell-Moebel-Regenerator-fuer-helle-und-dunkle-Moebel-500-ml-/161862951502

works surprisingly well. Wipe on, wait, wipe off; no polishing. Deals with the
water splashes, dings, spots, etc., and it doesn't break anything, i.e. take off
sound varnish.

If you don't count the waiting, you'll be easily done in an hour. All the
furniture fakers --er, antique dealers-- at the markets here use it, and usually
have a bottles for sale. A 500ml bottle is a lot...

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/01/2019 09:23, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 17:17:34 +0000, GB wrote:

The plan is to do the best I can in say an hour, ie I am not going to
try stripping it or anything like that. I was thinking of just going
over it with wax.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renuwell-Moebel-Regenerator-fuer-helle-und-dunkle-Moebel-500-ml-/161862951502

works surprisingly well. Wipe on, wait, wipe off; no polishing. Deals with the
water splashes, dings, spots, etc., and it doesn't break anything, i.e. take off
sound varnish.

If you don't count the waiting, you'll be easily done in an hour. All the
furniture fakers --er, antique dealers-- at the markets here use it, and usually
have a bottles for sale. A 500ml bottle is a lot...

Thomas Prufer

Thank you, Thomas and Charles, for your helpful comments.

I should have left out that it's MIL's kitchen, shouldn't I. That would
have shortened the thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/01/2019 11:48, GB wrote:
[...]

I should have left out that it's MIL's kitchen, shouldn't I.Â* That would
have shortened the thread.

Cheer up you miserable old sod:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/01/2019 11:48, GB wrote:
[...]

You should have asked about shortening her life span for a longer thread.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 20/01/2019 11:48, GB wrote:
[...]

Give it a week while the "wipe over with a bit of Mr Sheen" fails
to tick the old bat's box (as it were)...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/01/2019 13:49, ARW wrote:

You should have asked about shortening her life span for a longer thread.

She died 5 years ago, actually. It's still known as MIL's kitchen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/01/2019 20:52, GB wrote:
On 20/01/2019 13:49, ARW wrote:

You should have asked about shortening her life span for a longer thread.

She died 5 years ago, actually. It's still known as MIL's kitchen.

Point noted. But a MiL is still a MiL, and MiL jokes are always worth it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 20 January 2019 20:52:05 UTC, GB wrote:
She died 5 years ago, actually. It's still known as MIL's kitchen.

The cobwebs gathering on her last batch of rock buns ...

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2019 17:17, GB wrote:
In MIL's kitchen, there are varnished wooden units. About 20 years old.

The varnish could do with some livening up, generally. Also, around the
sink, there have been some water splashes that have left lighter patches.

The plan is to do the best I can in say an hour, ie I am not going to
try stripping it or anything like that. I was thinking of just going
over it with wax.

Could the clever people here guide me what type of wax is best for this?
Or should I use something different?

Also, should I go for clear wax, or wax about the same colour as what's
there, or go for something a bit darker to cover up the water damage?

For polishing it, can I just stick a duster over an orbital sander?

Nothing you can do in an hour will make much difference. Wax will not
shine it up or keep water out. It will just make it waxy, and impossible
to refinish later.
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 21/01/2019 22:12, TimW wrote:

Nothing you can do in an hour will make much difference. Wax will not
shine it up or keep water out. It will just make it waxy, and impossible
to refinish later.
TW

DW and I put on a liberal coating of the oil from Lakeland this morning,
and it looks an awful lots better. The wood had really dried out.

I'm still waiting for the Renuwell renovation stuff to come from Germany.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 09:25:24 +0000, GB wrote:

I'm still waiting for the Renuwell renovation stuff to come from Germany.

Let me know if I f*ckd up recommending it...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomas Prufer Wrote in message:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 09:25:24 +0000, GB wrote:

I'm still waiting for the Renuwell renovation stuff to come from Germany.

Let me know if I f*ckd up recommending it...

For sure ! :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 22/01/2019 18:28, Jim K.. wrote:
Thomas Prufer Wrote in message:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 09:25:24 +0000, GB wrote:

I'm still waiting for the Renuwell renovation stuff to come from Germany.

Let me know if I f*ckd up recommending it...

For sure ! :-)

No **** up. It sounds like excellent stuff. The only problem is that the
carriage from Germany for just one bottle more than doubles the price.