Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connecting to copper waste pipe

My son is renovating a 1960s bathroom. The soil pipe is steel (easily
connected to plastic with a rubber adapter) but I can't see how to
connect to the copper waste pipe. The waste has an O/D of 41mm and is
very close to a wall and other pipes - how can this be connected to plastic?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
My son is renovating a 1960s bathroom. The soil pipe is steel (easily
connected to plastic with a rubber adapter) but I can't see how to
connect to the copper waste pipe. The waste has an O/D of 41mm and is
very close to a wall and other pipes - how can this be connected to plastic?

Copper for a waste pipe? Are you sure? Ive seen copper coloured plastic
waste pipe in that sort of size but never copper.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2019 07:36, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
My son is renovating a 1960s bathroom. The soil pipe is steel (easily
connected to plastic with a rubber adapter) but I can't see how to
connect to the copper waste pipe. The waste has an O/D of 41mm and is
very close to a wall and other pipes - how can this be connected to plastic?

Copper for a waste pipe? Are you sure? Ive seen copper coloured plastic
waste pipe in that sort of size but never copper.

I've met copper wastes for baths and washbasins (1.5 and 1.25 in) in
bathrooms put into Victorian houses in London in the 60s.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Copper for a waste pipe? Are you sure? Ive seen copper coloured plastic
waste pipe in that sort of size but never copper.

This house (1970s build) had 1 1/2" copper waste for bath and sink, it
all weighed-in nicely when I altered the plumbing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2019 07:46, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Copper for a waste pipe? Are you sure? Ive seen copper coloured plastic
waste pipe in that sort of size but never copper.

This house (1970s build) had 1 1/2" copper waste for bath and sink, it
all weighed-in nicely when I altered the plumbing.

The same here in our 1967 house. And, like you, a nice few ££s back when
I weighed it in after re-plumbing the bathroom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
My son is renovating a 1960s bathroom. The soil pipe is steel (easily
connected to plastic with a rubber adapter) but I can't see how to
connect to the copper waste pipe. The waste has an O/D of 41mm and is
very close to a wall and other pipes - how can this be connected to plastic?

Copper for a waste pipe? Are you sure? Ive seen copper coloured plastic
waste pipe in that sort of size but never copper.

Dont know if it still applies but when one of the US based fast food
chains first started to move into the UK
the outlets were often constructed from a std kit of parts and the waste
pipes were either copper or SS steel.
Something to do with building codes they had to comply with in some
jurisdictions which did not allow plastic.

Domestically some copper was used in the period where lead stopped being
the normal material used for piping but before the widespread availability
of plastic which didnt really start to be used till the 1960s.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Marland wrote:
Domestically some copper was used in the period where lead stopped
being the normal material used for piping but before the widespread
availability of plastic which didn‘t really start to be used till the
1960‘s.

Copper wastes were (are) fairly common where you'd need something more
able to cope with knocks etc than plastic. Commercial kitchen or public
loo etc?

Unusual in a house, I'd say, but perhaps the contractor was geared up for
that sort of work.

--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Marland wrote:
Domestically some copper was used in the period where lead stopped
being the normal material used for piping but before the widespread
availability of plastic which didn‘t really start to be used till the
1960‘s.

Copper wastes were (are) fairly common where you'd need something more
able to cope with knocks etc than plastic. Commercial kitchen or public
loo etc?

Unusual in a house, I'd say, but perhaps the contractor was geared up for
that sort of work.

Standard in houses from mid 50's through to mid 60's.
I don't think anything else was available.

--
Andrew Gabriel