Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless light switches

Living in an old house with a scarcity of light switches I am tempted by these. The trouble is, I've already got quite complicated ideas, but no idea how to put them into practice. One example is the sitting room which has 4 wall lights switch from one door, and no switch at all on the other door. I can't work out if there might be a clever way of doing this without huge expense. The only plan I can come up with is to get a receiver for each light, make the feeds all live, and then install two switches - one by each door. It might be I've answered my own question!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2018 19:45, Keefiedee wrote:
Living in an old house with a scarcity of light switches I am tempted by these. The trouble is, I've already got quite complicated ideas, but no idea how to put them into practice. One example is the sitting room which has 4 wall lights switch from one door, and no switch at all on the other door. I can't work out if there might be a clever way of doing this without huge expense. The only plan I can come up with is to get a receiver for each light, make the feeds all live, and then install two switches - one by each door. It might be I've answered my own question!

I went for ZWave Fibaro switch modules (and there's a dimmer module
available too).

You can hardwire these to a momentary or rocker switch if you want, or
you can use it (via a ZWave controller hub) paired with battery switches.

Neutral is preferred at the module, but it is designed to get by without
if necessary (you may need a bypass model in parallel with LED lights -
they make one).

You've gone from "simple" to "home automation" but overall it works well
IME. I like the hardwired switches as lights still work even if the
ZWave hub blows up. I suspect in your case you could hardwire from the
existing switch and add battery ZWave switches to your other locations.

Choice of hub is the hard bit - they vary from "****e" to "mid cost and
mostly OK" to "feck, how much!!?" - but Raspberry Pi + Zwave dongle +
Home Assistant software may be a nice option - I'm thinking of moving to
that.

Anyway - one idea out of I expect many possible options.

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keefiedee wrote

Living in an old house with a scarcity of light switches
I am tempted by these. The trouble is, I've already got
quite complicated ideas, but no idea how to put them
into practice. One example is the sitting room which
has 4 wall lights switch from one door, and no switch
at all on the other door. I can't work out if there might
be a clever way of doing this

The Hue system will do that fine.

without huge expense.

What do you consider a huge expense ?

The Hue system isnt cheap, but its not what I consider a huge expense.

The only plan I can come up with is to get a receiver for each light,

All Hue bulbs have all you need in each bulb.

make the feeds all live,

With the Hue system you just need to ensure
that all the bulbs get the mains all the time.

and then install two switches - one by each door.

Thats the very easy part with the Hue system,
you dont even need any wires or power or
even a battery in the switches. They work by
kinetic energy.

It might be I've answered my own question!

The Hue system works better. And you can control
the lights using your phone or by voice etc too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...QPW7OVG ZRVBJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 08:21:54 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

The Hue system works better. And you can control
the lights using your phone or by voice etc too.

Why would anyone, except a mindless consuming asshole like you who obviously
gets some sort of sexual kick out of all his electronic gadgets in his
household, even want to do anything like that? BG

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 19:45:45 UTC, Keefiedee wrote:
Living in an old house with a scarcity of light switches I am tempted by these. The trouble is, I've already got quite complicated ideas, but no idea how to put them into practice. One example is the sitting room which has 4 wall lights switch from one door, and no switch at all on the other door. I can't work out if there might be a clever way of doing this without huge expense. The only plan I can come up with is to get a receiver for each light, make the feeds all live, and then install two switches - one by each door. It might be I've answered my own question!

Another option: wire it up in enamelled copper wire, which can sit in noting more than a scratch in the plaster surface. Now run that switch wiring on 6v using a relay to get it to switch the mains power.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 19:45:45 UTC, Keefiedee wrote:
Living in an old house with a scarcity of light switches I am tempted by
these. The trouble is, I've already got quite complicated ideas, but no
idea how to put them into practice. One example is the sitting room
which has 4 wall lights switch from one door, and no switch at all on
the other door. I can't work out if there might be a clever way of
doing this without huge expense. The only plan I can come up with is to
get a receiver for each light, make the feeds all live, and then install
two switches - one by each door. It might be I've answered my own question!

Another option: wire it up in enamelled copper wire, which can sit in
noting more than a scratch in the plaster surface. Now run that switch
wiring on 6v using a relay to get it to switch the mains power.

You could use self adhesive copper tape and later paper over it in a
similar manner.
Like most things there is reasonable quality stuff and some that will be
more adhesive than copper.

Very easy to solder to. enamelled wire needs a bit of care scraping a
clean spot without breaking on the really fine stuff. An old ignition coil
would yield loads of it though the oil could make things messy.
Coils are are a thing of the past though and I doubt a kid is allowed to
wander in a pile of scrap cars and remove one now like I used to.

GH