Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quad bikes: advice needed

I have a 2 acre garden and it's very steep in places. At the top I'm
well above the roof of the house. The path/lane/track is about 1 in 7 at
its steepest. I call it a garden but it's mostly grass field and trees.
As time goes on I'm finding it more and more tiring to get about. I've
just planted some apple trees (with sheep-proof tree guards) and I ended
up using a Transit van to convey me and materials to and fro. That's
ridiculous really. I'm wondering about getting a quad bike; most likely
second hand. Actually I'm definitely going to get one. Trouble is I
don't know anything about them. What size engine would be reasonable to
carry me and a trailer with, for instance, two or three bags of top soil
and a few tools on it? Petrol, diesel, or electric? I'm assuming it
would have to be four wheel drive.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 05/12/2018 14:05, Bill Wright wrote:
I have a 2 acre garden and it's very steep in places. At the top I'm
well above the roof of the house. The path/lane/track is about 1 in 7 at
its steepest. I call it a garden but it's mostly grass field and trees.
As time goes on I'm finding it more and more tiring to get about. I've
just planted some apple trees (with sheep-proof tree guards) and I ended
up using a Transit van to convey me and materials to and fro. That's
ridiculous really. I'm wondering about getting a quad bike; most likely
second hand. Actually I'm definitely going to get one. Trouble is I
don't know anything about them. What size engine would be reasonable to
carry me and a trailer with, for instance, two or three bags of top soil
and a few tools on it? Petrol, diesel, or electric? I'm assuming it
would have to be four wheel drive.

Bill

Are quad bikes a bit risky on steep slopes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 December 2018 14:12:22 UTC, GB wrote:
[...]

1:7 is nowhere steep enough to be a serious stability problem.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2018 15:44, wrote:
[...]

As long as you are sensible, and if it really is a uniform slope. It
helps if you don't have to turn on the slope itself.

I rent a field about twice this size for my wife's equines. We did have
a small tractor (with a proper cabin and roll cage) which was good for
some stuff, less good for others. We now have an all terrain vehicle
(ATV) rather than a quad, this has two seats side by side and again a
proper roll cage. Ours is a Cub Cadet but there are lots of others. Not
as fast as a quad but that is no disadvantage if never going on road. It
has a tipper back which holds 400 kg. Significantly more expensive than
a quad, though.

I use it to: take fence posts and tools around the field: really saves a
lot of effort. Collect horse poo. Transfer perhaps 100 litres of water
at a time when required. Tow a roller or a chain harrow. Tow a
separately powered "topper".

It has switchable 4WD, and also a diff lock. Three cylinder Japanese
diesel, though branded "Caterpillar" (so can run on red diesel).

The livery yard where I keep my horse has a large quad which will
happily tow a trailer containing a few hundred kg. I have driven it but
never feel completely safe: it has a bizarre thumb-trigger throttle
which is not very easy to control, I can't understand why they moved to
these instead of a twist grip.

Quads seem to come in three sizes: toy, small, and large. I'd have
thought a small one would do what you need. I wouldn't have one if I had
children at home, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright Wrote in message:
I have a 2 acre garden and it's very steep in places. At the top I'm
well above the roof of the house. The path/lane/track is about 1 in 7 at
its steepest. I call it a garden but it's mostly grass field and trees.
As time goes on I'm finding it more and more tiring to get about. I've
just planted some apple trees (with sheep-proof tree guards) and I ended
up using a Transit van to convey me and materials to and fro. That's
ridiculous really. I'm wondering about getting a quad bike; most likely
second hand. Actually I'm definitely going to get one. Trouble is I
don't know anything about them. What size engine would be reasonable to
carry me and a trailer with, for instance, two or three bags of top soil
and a few tools on it? Petrol, diesel, or electric? I'm assuming it
would have to be four wheel drive.

Bill

Get a (proper) helmet & wear it.
Read up or go on a training course.

What about an old pickup instead? Less pikey pilfering potential
for a start...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 16:27:05 +0000
newshound wrote:

The livery yard where I keep my horse has a large quad which will
happily tow a trailer containing a few hundred kg. I have driven it
but never feel completely safe: it has a bizarre thumb-trigger
throttle which is not very easy to control, I can't understand why
they moved to these instead of a twist grip.

This is a d-i-y group. Consider changing it to a proper control?

You know it makes sense...

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 December 2018 14:05:56 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
I have a 2 acre garden and it's very steep in places. At the top I'm
well above the roof of the house. The path/lane/track is about 1 in 7 at
its steepest. I call it a garden but it's mostly grass field and trees.
As time goes on I'm finding it more and more tiring to get about. I've
just planted some apple trees (with sheep-proof tree guards) and I ended
up using a Transit van to convey me and materials to and fro. That's
ridiculous really. I'm wondering about getting a quad bike; most likely
second hand. Actually I'm definitely going to get one. Trouble is I
don't know anything about them. What size engine would be reasonable to
carry me and a trailer with, for instance, two or three bags of top soil
and a few tools on it? Petrol, diesel, or electric? I'm assuming it
would have to be four wheel drive.

Bill

These are very good.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Deer...u m:rk:3:pf:0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 16:27:05 +0000
newshound wrote:

The livery yard where I keep my horse has a large quad which will
happily tow a trailer containing a few hundred kg. I have driven it
but never feel completely safe: it has a bizarre thumb-trigger
throttle which is not very easy to control, I can't understand why
they moved to these instead of a twist grip.

The only quad bike I have ever ridden had one of that same type, and
from memory, it was as you describe, very difficult to control
smoothly. I did one short trip, and that was plenty enough.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
I have a 2 acre garden and it's very steep in places. At the top I'm well
above the roof of the house. The path/lane/track is about 1 in 7 at its
steepest. I call it a garden but it's mostly grass field and trees. As
time goes on I'm finding it more and more tiring to get about. I've just
planted some apple trees (with sheep-proof tree guards) and I ended up
using a Transit van to convey me and materials to and fro. That's
ridiculous really. I'm wondering about getting a quad bike; most likely
second hand. Actually I'm definitely going to get one. Trouble is I don't
know anything about them. What size engine would be reasonable to carry me
and a trailer with, for instance, two or three bags of top soil and a few
tools on it? Petrol, diesel, or electric? I'm assuming it would have to be
four wheel drive.

Not ideal with a slope like that, quite a few have been killed that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
news
[...]

Not just a bit risky, very risky indeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2018 16:43, Davey wrote:
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 16:27:05 +0000
newshound wrote:

The livery yard where I keep my horse has a large quad which will
happily tow a trailer containing a few hundred kg. I have driven it
but never feel completely safe: it has a bizarre thumb-trigger
throttle which is not very easy to control, I can't understand why
they moved to these instead of a twist grip.

This is a d-i-y group. Consider changing it to a proper control?

You know it makes sense...

If it were for my own use, I would have little hesitation. But if anyone
else was to use it, this would very likely wipe out any protection from
employers' liability insurance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2018 16:54, harry wrote:
[...]

No roll cage, though. Probably OTT for that application (but very good
in swamps). Looks a bit cheap to me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2018 16:23, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

Not much help in the typical quad bike accident though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 14:05:55 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

I have a 2 acre garden and it's very steep in places. At the top I'm
well above the roof of the house. The path/lane/track is about 1 in 7 at
its steepest. I call it a garden but it's mostly grass field and trees.
As time goes on I'm finding it more and more tiring to get about. I've
just planted some apple trees (with sheep-proof tree guards) and I ended
up using a Transit van to convey me and materials to and fro. That's
ridiculous really. I'm wondering about getting a quad bike; most likely
second hand. Actually I'm definitely going to get one. Trouble is I
don't know anything about them. What size engine would be reasonable to
carry me and a trailer with, for instance, two or three bags of top soil
and a few tools on it? Petrol, diesel, or electric? I'm assuming it
would have to be four wheel drive.

An inclined railway or a slipway and a powered winch might be a safer
alternative.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound Wrote in message:
On 05/12/2018 16:23, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

Rollover? Explain...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2018 20:48, Jim K.. wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 05/12/2018 16:23, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

Because, unlike motorbikes for example, you are most likely to break
arms, legs, or your neck, or get driven over in these accidents.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2018 20:25, The Other Mike wrote:
[...]

Fine if you just have one track, but with 2 acres you are likely to have
distances of 50 to 100 metres to cover in several directions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 05/12/2018 15:44, wrote:
[...]

They also come in use on private land only and road legal ones which you
can register and use on the public highway subject to holding the right
driving licence and having insurance , road tax varies depending if you can

run one as a genuine agricultural vehicle.
At the moment they can be driven on most car licences so a growing number
are seen by people wanting the open air feel of a motorbike without the
legal requirement to wear a crash helmet or do the CBT training for a
motorcycle licence.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2018 22:26, Marland wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 05/12/2018 15:44, wrote:
[...]

You didn't need to do Cognitive Behavioural Therapy when I passed my m/c
test. Just a couple of times round the block and the examiner jumped out
in front of you for the emergency stop.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Just get a pony.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

The Other Mike wrote:

An inclined railway or a slipway and a powered winch might be a
safer alternative.

Just get a pony.

Put t'whippets on a high protein diet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound Wrote in message:
On 05/12/2018 20:48, Jim K.. wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 05/12/2018 16:23, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

So you wouldn't wear a helmet when riding a quad bike even on slopes?

Do you have a quad bike?
Do you have slopes?
Have you had an accident on a quad bike?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:

Max Demian wrote:

The Other Mike wrote:

An inclined railway or a slipway and a powered winch might be a
safer alternative.

Just get a pony.

Put t'whippets on a high protein diet.

The T is silent Burns...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
newshound Wrote in message:
On 05/12/2018 20:48, Jim K.. wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 05/12/2018 16:23, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

Read the OP retard.
It's called "context" giyf...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The house we have just sold had a one acre garden with parts that steep.
I carted logs, soil etc. around with a trailer on my ride on mower.
Never had a problem even on wet grass. The only issue was reversing as
the trailer had 4 wheels with the front ones steering.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Muddymike writes
[...]

Ah! You have to drive the tow vehicle as if the draw bar hitch was in
your hands......

I think a small 4 wheel trailer behind a ride on mower would serve. Then
it could be used to control the bits the sheep and chickens allow to
grow.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 19:22:52 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

He didn't say that.

Answer his questions when a human deigns to ask you something, senile Rot!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2018 23:20, Max Demian wrote:

You didn't need to do Cognitive Behavioural Therapy when I passed my m/c
test. Just a couple of times round the block and the examiner jumped out
in front of you for the emergency stop.

On my 1949 rigid frame C10 (in 1966) they were so far away when they
jumped out that I could barely see them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2018 09:01, Muddymike wrote:

The house we have just sold had a one acre garden with parts that steep.
I carted logs, soil etc. around with a trailer on my ride on mower.
Never had a problem even on wet grass. The only issue was reversing as
the trailer had 4 wheels with the front ones steering.

Mike

I was originally going to buy a ride-on mower with the mowing part bust,
but then I sort of assumed two wheel drive wouldn't be good enough.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2018 17:37, Bill Wright wrote:
On 06/12/2018 09:01, Muddymike wrote:

The house we have just sold had a one acre garden with parts that
steep. I carted logs, soil etc. around with a trailer on my ride on
mower. Never had a problem even on wet grass. The only issue was
reversing as the trailer had 4 wheels with the front ones steering.

Mike

I was originally going to buy a ride-on mower with the mowing part bust,
but then I sort of assumed two wheel drive wouldn't be good enough.

Bill

I think that is a good assumption, I had an old (working) Laser and that
struggled on slopes like that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
newshound writes
On 06/12/2018 17:37, Bill Wright wrote:
On 06/12/2018 09:01, Muddymike wrote:

The house we have just sold had a one acre garden with parts that
steep. I carted logs, soil etc. around with a trailer on my ride on
mower. Never had a problem even on wet grass. The only issue was
reversing as the trailer had 4 wheels with the front ones steering.

Mike

I was originally going to buy a ride-on mower with the mowing part
bust, but then I sort of assumed two wheel drive wouldn't be good
enough.
Bill

I think that is a good assumption, I had an old (working) Laser and
that struggled on slopes like that.

I have a Jonsered (might be Huskvarna now). Goes up 1 in 4 banks in our
garden. Not good if you turn upslope as the riders weight is on the
lower wheel allowing the other to spin on wet grass.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2018 18:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
newshound writes
On 06/12/2018 17:37, Bill Wright wrote:
On 06/12/2018 09:01, Muddymike wrote:

The house we have just sold had a one acre garden with parts that
steep. I carted logs, soil etc. around with a trailer on my ride on
mower. Never had a problem even on wet grass. The only issue was
reversing as the trailer had 4 wheels with the front ones steering.

Mike
Â*I was originally going to buy a ride-on mower with the mowing part
bust,Â* but then I sort of assumed two wheel drive wouldn't be good
enough.
Â*Bill

I think that is a good assumption, I had an old (working) Laser and
that struggled on slopes like that.

I have a Jonsered (might be Huskvarna now).Â* Goes up 1 in 4 banks in our
garden. Not good if you turn upslope as the riders weight is on the
lower wheel allowing the other to spin on wet grass.

I've seen the fancy ones where the cutters can be raised and lowered
coping with nasty slopes. My old laser was a bit crude. It was quite
fast, with its governed Kohler twin, but wouldn't get near a 1 in 4,
even with a run-up! Surprised your Husky doesn't have a limited slip
diff :-)

Perhaps worth saying my horse paddock is quite bumpy in places too. If
it were mine, I would have sprayed, ploughed, and re-seeded it long ago.

Digital Cameras$B!$(BDJ Equipment, Electric guitars, Game console, GPS, Laptops, Mobile Phone, Motorcycles, Mp3, Mp4, Road Bikes, TVs & HDTVs and ex electroic seller Electronics Repair 0 February 28th 08 09:23 PM
3 More Very Strange Bikes javawizard Metalworking 2 October 2nd 07 02:36 AM
Rwanda Wood Bikes J T Woodworking 2 June 15th 07 07:06 PM
Bikes for sale [email protected] UK diy 1 May 17th 07 09:23 PM
Quad 2/Quad II tuner problem Nigel Cook Electronics Repair 1 August 13th 03 10:30 PM