Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default was hydro-elec, now unrealistic expectations

I encountered a lady who was in the market for a new motorhome. She
didn't trust gas and wanted all-electric. Cooker, microwave, shower, the
lot. It was explained that this would only be possible with a hook-up,
and even then might be problematic. That wasn't good enough. She wanted
to be able to wild camp, and run everything from batteries. A generator
was out of the question apparently; too noisy and smelly and anyway who
would make it go? I should mention this wasn't the sort of price bracket
where a built-in self-start genny was even remotely feasible.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 2 December 2018 13:49:40 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
I encountered a lady who was in the market for a new motorhome. She
didn't trust gas and wanted all-electric. Cooker, microwave, shower, the
lot. It was explained that this would only be possible with a hook-up,
and even then might be problematic. That wasn't good enough. She wanted
to be able to wild camp, and run everything from batteries. A generator
was out of the question apparently; too noisy and smelly and anyway who
would make it go?

Mrs N Sturgeon by any chance?

I should mention this wasn't the sort of price bracket
where a built-in self-start genny was even remotely feasible.

Obviously not Mrs N Sturgeon then (salary £135,605)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2018 13:49, Bill Wright wrote:
I encountered a lady who was in the market for a new motorhome. She
didn't trust gas and wanted all-electric. Cooker, microwave, shower, the
lot. It was explained that this would only be possible with a hook-up,
and even then might be problematic. That wasn't good enough. She wanted
to be able to wild camp, and run everything from batteries. A generator
was out of the question apparently; too noisy and smelly and anyway who
would make it go? I should mention this wasn't the sort of price bracket
where a built-in self-start genny was even remotely feasible.

She could keep the engine running. That would provide space heating at
least. Surely "wild" camping would involve cooking on a camp fire? And a
swim in a local stream.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:
On 02/12/2018 13:49, Bill Wright wrote:
I encountered a lady who was in the market for a new motorhome. She
didn't trust gas and wanted all-electric. Cooker, microwave, shower, the
lot. It was explained that this would only be possible with a hook-up,
and even then might be problematic. That wasn't good enough. She wanted
to be able to wild camp, and run everything from batteries. A generator
was out of the question apparently; too noisy and smelly and anyway who
would make it go? I should mention this wasn't the sort of price bracket
where a built-in self-start genny was even remotely feasible.

She could keep the engine running. That would provide space heating at
least. Surely "wild" camping would involve cooking on a camp fire? And a
swim in a local stream.

And walking with a back pack , sleeping bag and tent or even less and
making a bivouac as required.
Not living in luxury in a tin wigwam.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2018 13:49, Bill Wright wrote:
I encountered a lady who was in the market for a new motorhome. She
didn't trust gas and wanted all-electric. Cooker, microwave, shower, the
lot. It was explained that this would only be possible with a hook-up,
and even then might be problematic. That wasn't good enough. She wanted
to be able to wild camp, and run everything from batteries. A generator
was out of the question apparently; too noisy and smelly and anyway who
would make it go? I should mention this wasn't the sort of price bracket
where a built-in self-start genny was even remotely feasible.

It might be interesting to see the reaction when told the price of the
inverter and battery setup that would be required to run an electric
shower and cooker for any significant period! I will be many times the
price of the caravan I suspect.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 02/12/2018 13:49, Bill Wright wrote:
I encountered a lady who was in the market for a new motorhome. She
didn't trust gas and wanted all-electric. Cooker, microwave, shower, the
lot. It was explained that this would only be possible with a hook-up,
and even then might be problematic. That wasn't good enough. She wanted
to be able to wild camp, and run everything from batteries. A generator
was out of the question apparently; too noisy and smelly and anyway who
would make it go? I should mention this wasn't the sort of price bracket
where a built-in self-start genny was even remotely feasible.

It might be interesting to see the reaction when told the price of the
inverter and battery setup that would be required to run an electric
shower and cooker for any significant period! I will be many times the
price of the caravan I suspect.

Not to mention the practical problem of storage for the batteries
and the charging apparatus required between trips.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2018 09:37, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/12/2018 13:49, Bill Wright wrote:
I encountered a lady who was in the market for a new motorhome. She
didn't trust gas and wanted all-electric. Cooker, microwave, shower,
the lot. It was explained that this would only be possible with a
hook-up, and even then might be problematic. That wasn't good enough.
She wanted to be able to wild camp, and run everything from batteries.
A generator was out of the question apparently; too noisy and smelly
and anyway who would make it go? I should mention this wasn't the sort
of price bracket where a built-in self-start genny was even remotely
feasible.

It might be interesting to see the reaction when told the price of the
inverter and battery setup that would be required to run an electric
shower and cooker for any significant period! I will be many times the
price of the caravan I suspect.

Easier just to tow around a couple of SNAP-2's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System...uxiliary_Power