Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Faulty Quooker

A friend has one of these fancy Quookers that provides hot, cold and boiling water all from one tap.

The other day something tripped a MCB in the fuse box and when she reset it she realised that her Quooker would no longer provide boiling water.

Its NOT the heater element though as it is still heating water, its just not delivering it in response to the fancy jig you have to do with the control switch (a double press followed by a rotation).

Anyone come across this and know where the fault might lie? I suspect there must be some smartness in the switching mechanism but Im wondering what could have gone wrong (with a high enough fault current) to trip the MCB. Sadly its out of warranty

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 November 2018 18:27:09 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
A friend has one of these fancy Quookers that provides hot, cold and boiling water all from one tap.

The other day something tripped a MCB in the fuse box and when she reset it she realised that her Quooker would no longer provide boiling water.

Its NOT the heater element though as it is still heating water, its just not delivering it in response to the fancy jig you have to do with the control switch (a double press followed by a rotation).

Anyone come across this and know where the fault might lie? I suspect there must be some smartness in the switching mechanism but Im wondering what could have gone wrong (with a high enough fault current) to trip the MCB. Sadly its out of warranty

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Such devices are just a status symbol.
It's technically very difficult/complex to make such a thing work satisfactorily and safely.
Hence they are inherently unreliable and therefore best left alone.
Only idiots buy them.
The simplest solutions are always best.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2018 07:14, harry wrote:
[...]

A a proud owner of a Quooker, it's comforting to know that you regard me
as an idiot. It reinforces my feeling of mutuality!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

If Harry thinks its complex I would suggest Harry hasnt an effing clue.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 November 2018 17:33:15 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Any device that generates boiling water/steam in a pressure vessel has all sorts of safety issues that have to be covered by costly devices.
Only the really dopey won't understand this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:
[...]

The railways seemed to manage it ok for about 150 years!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2018 13:12, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Roger Mills
wrote:

[...]

I agree it's prolly overpriced, but we still like it anyway. We use it
quite a lot (it doesn't just sit there).

Yes, so do we. Ours provides all the hot water for the kitchen sink
(avoiding a very wasteful long run of pipe from the hot cylinder in the
airing cupboard) plus boiling water for tea and coffee. Wouldn't be
without it!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
wrote:

[...]

Ours is installed but yet to be used (still trying to clear up the
farmhouse sale:-(

Moment of hilarity though. Boss insisted on a costly Corrian (sp?)
worktop and sink. (stainless sinks scratch)!

Fitter told her that you can't use a Quooker with a Corrian sink so the
bottom had to be cut out and replaced with..... stainless steel:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Moment of hilarity though. Boss insisted on a costly Corrian (sp?)
worktop and sink. (stainless sinks scratch)!

Fitter told her that you can't use a Quooker with a Corrian sink so the
bottom had to be cut out and replaced with..... stainless steel:-)

:-)

Is the worry that the Corian would be damaged if you ran boiling
water into it?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
I agree it's prolly overpriced, but we still like it anyway. We use it
quite a lot (it doesn't just sit there).

Yes, so do we. Ours provides all the hot water for the kitchen sink
(avoiding a very wasteful long run of pipe from the hot cylinder in the
airing cupboard) plus boiling water for tea and coffee. Wouldn't be
without it!

Interesting. I thought they just provided the hot water from the domestic
heating system.

--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
Roger wrote:
I agree it's prolly overpriced, but we still like it anyway. We use it
quite a lot (it doesn't just sit there).

Yes, so do we. Ours provides all the hot water for the kitchen sink
(avoiding a very wasteful long run of pipe from the hot cylinder in the
airing cupboard) plus boiling water for tea and coffee. Wouldn't be
without it!

Interesting. I thought they just provided the hot water from the domestic
heating system.

No, they sit under the sink and heat several litres of water (depending
on model - ours is 7litres) to above 100 degrees under pressure, using a
3kW internal heater. The boiling water can be used directly from the
boiling water tap for tea or coffee, or can be blended with cold in a
mixer valve to provide 'hot' water (at around 60 degrees, but
adjustable) to the sink's hot tap. Although using electricity to heat
the water is more expensive than gas, you don't waste a lot every time
you run the hot tap, like we did when feeding it from the hot cylinder
on the other side of the house.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

An undersink electric water heater will do the job cheaper, more reliably and safer than these stupid devices.
If you have solar panels at less cost fuelwise too.
As it gets older, it will become a pain in the arse. Esp. in hard water areas.

But some gullible people are taken in by stupid TV adverts.

There is actually little waste from long hot water pipes.
Only the heat from a bit of water in the pipe is lost.
Unlike where hot water is constantly circulating.
The drawback is having to wait for the hot water to appear in badly designed systems.

Nul points for research.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:

A friend has one of these fancy Quookers that provides hot, cold and boiling
water all from one tap.

The other day something tripped a MCB in the fuse box and when she reset it
she realised that her Quooker would no longer provide boiling water.

Its NOT the heater element though as it is still heating water, its just not
delivering it in response to the fancy jig you have to do with the control
switch (a double press followed by a rotation).

Anyone come across this and know where the fault might lie? I suspect there
must be some smartness in the switching mechanism but Im wondering what
could have gone wrong (with a high enough fault current) to trip the MCB.
Sadly its out of warranty

She may need to go through the reset procedure. I've done this a couple
of times when we have short power breaks, nothing to do with the tap.

Try the FAQ page at http://www.quooker.co.uk/enuk/service

A hint regarding the reset process - when they say unplug it from the
socket, do just that. Seems to need that rather than just turning the
switch off at the wall.

Ours only does boiling water, so in our case it's press and turn to the
boiling water.

Thanks. Ive forwarded your message to her. Will let you know if it works.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 18:38:35 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:

[...]

How can that be so, unless your polarity is reversed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 09:58:44 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Scott
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 18:38:35 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:

[...]

Search me. All I know is that that's what it says in the reset
instructions. If I left it plugged in and just switched off at the
wall, it didn't seem to want to reset (although it's possible I was
just being impatient). If I unplugged it and left it alone for a while,
then it was OK on being replugged.

I suspect the instruction to unplug is to cover situations where there
is no switch on the plug. I suspect not counting to 10 before
switching power back on may have prevented the reset taking place.

Quooker Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 105 February 16th 18 09:02 PM
Faulty Wallpapering? Update Jim S UK diy 2 March 23rd 04 01:10 PM
Faulty Circular saw Reteplav UK diy 6 December 20th 03 05:13 PM
Faulty Burglar Alarm Billy N UK diy 3 November 6th 03 10:23 PM
anyone know how to diagnose a faulty Choke / Ballast in fluorescent light circuit nick UK diy 14 July 7th 03 02:01 PM